Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#847025 - 07/31/08 12:22 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: MFBAB]
7mm08
12 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Looks as if this thread has been there and back and now is on some fine body piercing artwork.

For those that calmly answered my question which was intended not to insult those that fish BASS tourneys, but to answer a question I have had for years, but none of my fishing friends knew the answer,...a big Thank you.

For those that acted as if I was trying to get Jackie Robinson into major league baseball I will preface my questions next time so that you can either cut your medications in half or double the dose so that you keep your blood pressure under control.

For those that don't think one can catch something with a flyrod at 15ft or deeper or around stumps, I would ask you to contact the 30 or more stripers I have caught in the past month alone that were holding at 15-25ft, or the redfish and trout that came out of the spartina grass, or around oyster beds on the coast, but they can't talk.

I will in the future NEVER try to ask a question on this board that would make someone of "limited experience" be insulted that I would possibly be intruding or insulting on "their territory". Enjoy your fishing your way, I will enjoy mine and strive to be the best I can be. It certainly does not take a contest to prove that.

On the lighter side: flies I have removed from streamside..

Edited by 7mm08 (07/31/08 12:26 PM)

#847116 - 07/31/08 01:15 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

7mm - Great facial piercing pics.!

BTW, in my commentary, I didn't mean to suggest that we fly boys can't catch deep fish. My thought process is that along with many other reasons why the conventional folks have an advantage, another is that they can cover more water and quicker. Waiting for a Teeny line to sink before retrieving would take more time than yanking a deep-diving plug back to get it to its required depth.

Not that we can't catch deep fish - only that we can't consistently compete with conventional anglers in deep water.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#847178 - 07/31/08 02:02 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: gil1]
MFBAB
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN

What Gil said. I love to fly fish but I think most of the time you are doing it you have to accept that you are handicapping yourself somewhat-not always, that's part of the allure for myself and many others I'm sure. A fish caught on fur and feathers, especially if you tied it yourself, means a little more sometimes.

#847343 - 07/31/08 03:05 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: MFBAB]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

See, the question was not can you catch big fish on a flyrod. It wasn't can you catch bass on a flyrod. It was why nobody fishes a major tournament with a flyrod. It was answered very quickly. It was answered completely.

Then you turned it into something else. BTW- I love the pictures. I had a full-size Zara Spook stuck in my azze one time. I was alone. I tied the line to a tree, took two big drinks of Jack and ran to the end of the line. They could hear me scream in Nashville.

I was in Canada at the time.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#847392 - 07/31/08 03:32 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: bowriter]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

\:D & folks wonder why fishermen wear chest waders all the time \:D mike243

#847404 - 07/31/08 03:44 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: 7mm08]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: 7mm08
I was asking to be informed.

Do you guys really think we only cast little flies to bass? Do you think that all fly lines float? Think you got the only gear that rattles?

I quess all the marlin, sails, tarpon, salmon that were caught on flyrods cannot possibly hold a candle to some 8lb largemouth?

I'm late coming back to this thread. I'm sorry if you took offense to my answer, because I sure didn't mean it.

These days, I fly fish about 99.9 percent of the time. There are rare situations when I'll pull out the conventional gear, but most days, if it's possible to catch the fish on a fly, that's what I'd rather do. I also don't limit it to little flies and floating lines. I've spent my share of time throwing big streamers and weighted lines at stripers, bass, and other quarry.

BUT, having said all that, I still believe fly tackle does not lend itself to bass fishing as well as gear. Are there times when you can catch good bass on a fly? Sure. Especially in shallow rivers, or in the late spring when the fish are up shallow and feeding.

But give me a hot summer day, a baitcaster, and a handful of plastic worms and crankbaits, and I'll outfish the man with the flyrod nearly every time.

Not bashing flyrods at all - it's just that it's not the most efficient method when bass are deep and uncooperative.

bd

#847486 - 07/31/08 04:28 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: B.D.]
MFBAB
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN

Is it getting deep in here Mike243?

#848013 - 07/31/08 09:14 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: Radar]
TWL
6 Point

Loc: Decatur

Originally Posted By: Radar
Because real men use flippin' sticks , not wimpy little flyrods . \:D
HAHA

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (Paul Burns, chris1976, bbuck14, trevor2010, Buckhunter10, KubotaM4900, 1 invisible) and 56 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95693 Topics
1120195 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.