Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#842792 - 07/29/08 12:05 AM Re: The Mighty Caney [Re: madMax]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I never said all flyfishers are uppercrust elitists. If you poke fun or judge the gear and techniques of others on the water..then you might be an elitist. If you confront fellow fishermen and tell them the importance of releasing legal fish they choose to keep, then you might be an elitist.

I'm 23 and when flyfishing I use a flyrod thats almost as old as I am(gift from Pops). Ive heard the jokes and we have been confronted many a time over the years while taking home fish. Of these people 100% were either C&R only flyfishers, OR they were wearing sponsored clothing. These are the outspoken few "with different goals" that I refer too as elitists.

Back to the regs- Lets assume that all "classes" of Caney fisherman out there supported tighter regs and slot 16-20" on rainbows. It gets passed and the quality of fish caught on average increases (rainbows). Word is out, 20"+ rainbows all day on the Caney, come and get you some! LEts then assume that discussion re this river continues to increase dramatically via word of mouth, articles, forums etc. More fishermen, larger fish

Then for the sake of math lets say that 300 people visited the Caney per weekend before the regs were in place:
-50 of these people practice 100% C&R on every trip.
-100 of them keep their limit of rainbows on every trip.
-The other 150 keep rainbows on occasion, otherwise its release.

After word is out about big rainbow mania 600 people now visit the river on Avg per weekend.
-100 people C&R 100%
-200 keep their limit of rainbows outside of the slot on almost every trip
-And 300 people in the middle.

MAth is the same in the end, 300 more fishermen, bigger fish, & essentially more fish kept overall. How do we offset this? More stocking? sure there might be tons of good rainbows the first few good years but isnt overharvest even more possible when you look at it this way? There are so many things to take into consideration.
I think either way the Caney will cont. to grow in popularity and crowds are going to increase regardless. Sometime in the future some kind of action will be needed.. whether its regulating commercial traffic, new regs, more stocking, etc. I hope this is one thing we can all agree on. Making everyone happy, I guess thats a whole diff story...

Edited by MaxD (07/29/08 01:05 AM)

#842934 - 07/29/08 06:58 AM Re: The Mighty Caney [Re: madMax]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Geez. All I can say is I'm glad I don't care for trout on the table. Like Bowriter said, you shoulda been there in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It was sweet and I've never been a huge trout fan because I don't particularly like to eat them.

The similarities between river trout fishing and deer hunting and the modern outdoorsman pain me greatly. I'm sick and tired of reading about manufacturing trophies of each. Defeats the purpose on so many levels. There are huge trout in the Caney that are far too smart for 99.5% of the people that fish it. If you don't believe me, don a wetsuit and snorkel a little while on one trip instead of fishing the whole time. I'm afraid many of you are really wanting big, dumb trout. Same as big deer. I shudder to think what fishing and hunting will be like in twenty years. We're getting more like Europe every day.

#842979 - 07/29/08 07:42 AM Re: The Mighty Caney [Re: Hangnail]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I'm afraid Hangnail hit it on the head. As I have said so many times, there is no lack of "trophy" trout in the Caney...both Brown and Rainbow. I don't know this from a biological standpoint. I know it from an experience standpoint.

I am not a fisheries biologist. My study field was and is ungulates, specifically elk and whitetail deer. I have had to learn a little about fishery biology because of my duties in AL. But that has nothing to do with trout. But I know a healthy fish when I see one.

I can tell you, there are more big fish in the Caney today than there ever were 30 years ago. I know that because I have been fishing it that long. For ten years I guided on the Caney, sometimes four days a week. I have watched and studied that river. I have seen trout in the deep water in front of Brent's dad's farm (Kayak Boy, as Gil calls him) that would scare you. I caught a rainbow there that topped eight pounds. The fishing is better right now and has been for two years, than I have ever seen it.

But that river is so cyclical. That is going to change. It always has. We are due a couple slow years. That will be blamed on a number of factors. But 30 years ago, we just said it was a down cycle.

My concern is not with the fish or the fishermen. My concern is the safety factor involved with floatcraft flotillas. It is a recipe for disaster. Inexperienced paddlers in small boats, few if any of them wearing pfd's is just asking for a tragedy. That river can and will kill you if you mess with it long enough. Add to that, the inherent fog and unexpected generation and no knowledge of the river.

Properly done, it is as safe as nay water. Improperly done, no orientation, no warnings, just get in and paddle, somebody is going to get killed.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Yotehntr, ChadG) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.