Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#839634 - 07/27/08 04:08 AM My first kayak trip on the Caney
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

It has been a rough year for the fishing, lots of pressure on the river, the generation has been above previous years and limited wading. There is a real push by some to get some quality regs on the river before all is lost to meat hunters.

I have been thinking about getting a kayak to get away from the normal crowds which long walks just won't do anymore.

When Brent posted on here about his operation I was a little upset by the respond from just about everybody. This is America I thought small business was the backbone of it. And the forums professional writers jumped all over him, SHAME ON YOU, you know who you are.

Instead of making a comment I figured I would check out the operation and decide for myself based upon actual knowledge. Turns out he lives on the river and uses locally made kayaks that are pretty nice. After work yesterday morning I drove out to his place to check out the operation. Brent seems like a nice kid had multiple kayaks of different designs and a collection of life vests in multiple sizes. I filled out his waiver and he ran me up to one of the public landings. I could use the kayak all day and he was willing to take me out at any public landing on the river......if you come down it is worth the effort of checking him out. Caney Fork Surf.....615-418-5697. Unlike some on this board, I am not getting anything for this write up, I just want people to know about this option instead of dragging a boat to the river and I like to help out small business.....he's not the Walmart of rental places. http://www.caneyforksurf.com/

This in my opinion is a great option for someone who wants to fish out of a boat and doesn't want to buy their own right now, or is thinking about buying a kayak and wants to test drive one first.......knowledge is power...I will be coming back often to utilize this sevice.

One more thing…..he also does shuttle service…..

Now to the report….

The company vehicle….He can get six on it in one load he told me…..ask him about the highway run, very funny.

Tooling around in the boat.

Good storage space

The river was socked in with fog until about 2pm….unlike most rivers this place will not take off until you get full sun. If you are a streamer chucker it can be good for the browns, but the big bows love to get some sun on their backs before they get fired up……

Third fish….got most drifting in the boat today, the water never settled out like I hoped it would…..I would work through a good section and then paddle back up through it and run it until I got tired. A return trip over fish resulted in my biggest of the day, so if you give the fish 3-4 minutes to settle down after going over them, they will get back on the feed……..

Sight cast to this fish at about 15 feet, had a larger fish sitting just in front of it, my midge larve was just off to the side…..not bad though 16 inches….

A little more drifting…

Big boy for the day, gave me two 3 foot jumps with cartwheels…..tooled my butt all over the place for about 5 minutes. Swam off strong…..19.5 inches…..

Then the magic happened, ants and pods of rising fish. I broke off my first three and was down to two flies……this little brown ran off all my fly line and then wrapped in a weed bed, full generation flow…had to paddle back up stream and work him out of the weeds.

Tiny ants…..#24.

Worked over three other pods of fish, most were 10-14 inch browns, got some nice fights……lots of jumpers in the Caney….

Down to my final ant and got this decent rainbow three big jumps and two solid runs……

#839642 - 07/27/08 05:03 AM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

It may have slipped past most posters but I said in my initial post on the thread that Brent was one of the good guys. He may not know it but he and I have talked at length on a couple occasions and I encouraged him to go for the business. In fact, BibBird and I intend to use him in the near future if we can get the logistics worked out.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#839644 - 07/27/08 05:08 AM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: bowriter]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

I look forward to your post.....
#839917 - 07/27/08 10:22 AM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: stillinscrubs]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Very nice feeshies and report. I felt like I was right there.

Originally Posted By: stillinscrubs
Unlike some on this board, I am not getting anything for this write up

Who on this board besides the kayak kid gets anything from your and his write-up? Only the kayak kid makes money off of it.

Look, Scrubs, I've got nothing against the kayak kid except his first posts caught me on a bad day (Caney overcrowded stress) and he broke the forum advertising rules. Granted, if he had been advertising canoe repellant, I wouldn't have said a word and would have spent my paycheck on his inventory.

I was all upsettled and gabberflasted, but I still said a bunch of times that I have no right or ownership to the river and that we all have equal rights. I said there was nothing I can think of to do about the crowds. Everyone is welcome, I'm just sad that I can't enjoy my favorite river on summer weekends anymore. Not blaming anyone.

Really great pics. and report.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#839983 - 07/27/08 10:59 AM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: gil1]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

sleepy Online
I need to try trout fishing

#840444 - 07/27/08 05:20 PM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: easy45]
LA man
18 Point

Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

great pics and story. man i need to get up there and try my luck

#841429 - 07/28/08 10:11 AM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: LA man]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

LA man-One Coonasse to another, You come, I'll take you, feed you and make you buy the beer. I got just enough mudbugs and shwamps for a gumbo. I even got a couple empty bedrooms. Open invitation.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#845790 - 07/30/08 06:44 PM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: bowriter]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Hey, just post an account of the trip.
#848497 - 08/01/08 08:45 AM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: stillinscrubs]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Waders scrubs? Really? REALLY?!?!? it's summer dude! COMMANDO! I'd give anything to feel that water knifing into my calves right now in contrast to the sauna that is summer in central Tennessee. The coolest I can find down here is 65...although swimming with wild manatees and snook does rock....
#848501 - 08/01/08 08:47 AM Re: My first kayak trip on the Caney [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

btw, you want to see those Jackson Kayaks in action, go down to Rock Island at the generators under flow. I've pitched swimbaits and hooked muskies in front of Jackson himself down there...apparently he's like a bomb kayaker and retired to live down at Rock island and teach lessons and design. Sweet sweet stuff. He and his proteges are amazing down there, although I bet the real show is the class 5's up in the upper Caney...woof! Check those out on youtube.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
121 registered (TIGGREM2, scn, AndyW, BuckHunter511, Twinshooter, Bowtech Man, 13 invisible) and 219 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95731 Topics
1120757 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.072 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.