Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#838807 - 07/26/08 09:17 AM My Rant for Today...
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

The Compleate Angler----Revisited

I read this in an article. ďWhen the fish jumps, you bow to it, honor it.Ē probably I have never read a more horsehite statement. Of course that is a flyfishermanís term. The rest of us jack that suckerís jaw and get him back in the water.

Why open this thread with that statement? To show the diversity or divergence that exactly parallels the crossbow/vertical bow controversy. Only now it is in fishing. I, for one, am pretty dam tired of it.

Those on this forum who really know me, know I donít give a fart in the wind about how you fish. As long as it is legal and you enjoy it, I am in your corner. But recently an ugly head has been raised and I for one, dam sure donít like it. This is not about size limits or slot limits or any of that.

The veteran fly guys on here, the really good ones, never once, ever demean any other means of fishing. Why should they? They do what they do and they do it well. Not one time have I ever heard Gil or Brian or some others badmouth a bait fisherman or any kind of fisherman. But there are some that do...as if fishing with bait is tantamount to having sex with your sister. Well let me tell you right now. I have seen your sister.

Iíll say right up front. I almost never fish with live bait and never for trout. But I sure have no problem with those that do and if it strikes me just right, Iíll dang sure do it. Just as I donít keep trout, regardless of the size. But if I want to, I will.

This all knowing, all seeing superiority complex that is starting to rear itsí head on this forum, just flat pisses me off. I have tried, through humor and sarcasm tried to steer some of the threads away from a pissing contests. I guess that is over some heads.

Guys/gals we are all fisherpersons. Not one single one of us has any more right or privilege than another. We are angling equals. Do you get that? We are all equal in the eyes of pescado. Not a single one of us deserves any more or less consideration that any other legal fisherman.

Now you can bow and honor a jumping fish if you want to. Iím going to jack that suckerís jaw.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#838825 - 07/26/08 09:28 AM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: bowriter]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

great post,mike243

#838875 - 07/26/08 10:17 AM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: mike243]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Amen, brudda. Very well spoken. Lately, I've sort of felt like taking a shower after reading this forum.

I always say this and I mean it, but I've been known to stray when emotions get high - Within the law, we should do what makes us happy. However that looks in the hunting and fishing world. Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to hunt with folks that blast turkeys off the roost and brag about their prowess. But it's not my business to bash them either. I can voice my opinion, but it shouldn't get personal or mean.

Two days ago, I fished with a buzzbait. Today will be a fly. Aug. 1 -10 will be cut and live bait. It's all fishing. All the same.

I've lost more fish (mostly tarpon) by bowing to them than I'll admit. Even in fly fishing, cross their eyes and ski them across the surface, I say.

I will still sex up most anybody's sister. Versatile in fishing and in luv. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#838901 - 07/26/08 10:51 AM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: gil1]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
Well stated, John, and very much needed.

#838967 - 07/26/08 12:35 PM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: ]
Trapper John
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: La Vergne,TN/Decaturville, TN

Good stuff.

And the sister comment is, was, and forever shall be priceless.

#838969 - 07/26/08 12:39 PM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: ]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
 Originally Posted By: tribeless
People work too dam much to enjoy fishing nowadays. Next time you're on the water and come up with a new idea or regulation that makes fishing better, go back to work. Put that energy to good use. Fishing's fine as it is.

I totally disagree with your statement. If a regulation can make fishing better, use your energy to put it in effect. The fishing we have today is a result of the tweaking of regulations over the years.

#838970 - 07/26/08 12:40 PM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: ]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Fishin is fishin. The anticipation of catchin a big fish, the serenity of bein out there and the rush of adrenaline when a fish strikes is what it's all about, don't matter how you got there.
#838974 - 07/26/08 12:52 PM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: bigluresonly]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Good post John.

#839001 - 07/26/08 02:00 PM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: trealtree]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have to admit, I have worked pretty hard to get a regulation or two passed in my time. If it is a good regulation and you convince me of three things, (1) It is biologically and environmentally sound, (2) It benefits the entire sporting segment and (3) It is financially feasible...

I'll jump on that sucker like Gil on a carp. But I will not bandwagon something just because somebody says, "Hey, wouldn't this be neat?"

But I'll tell you what I would support. I'd support some regulation of commercial operations on the CF. And yes, that includes guides.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#839011 - 07/26/08 02:12 PM Re: My Rant for Today... [Re: bowriter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I agree.

And I must admit that I had to look up the word "pescado"...

Makes me wonder whether you have a stream of consciousness like that. It's hard for us mere mortals to follow.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (Radiojoe, scn, mjac, volsfan1976, Wobblyshot1, Puddle duck, 8 invisible) and 133 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91512 Topics
1069859 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.978 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.