Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 13 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#836635 - 07/24/08 07:15 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Stalker]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

Stalker,

Smallmouth bass don't have a slot limit? I think what you are trying to say is if they had a slot limit, you could keep and eat some eating size fish....the breeding population would be protected, and people could keep a trophy if they chose....

Is that about right?

Scrubs

#836668 - 07/24/08 07:34 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Stalker]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Stalker
[

For one I said that I understand slot limits to a degree for brood fish...for sustainablility of the fish population. But I disagree with the 1 fish over 18 or 20 inch rules because that is trophy only fishing...Why should smallies only be a trophy fish? Also, the info I found on smallies size to age raatio put them at 8 inches by age 3 and in the 18 inch by age 10 and older...

I agree that is trophy only fishing. I like a slot a lot better as it protects fish in certain size classes to sustain the river and allows the majority of anglers to be happy. I have no personal issue with trophy regs, as a river smallmouth person I have a neurotic obsession with these fish and would not kill one if he was world record size, but that is just me.

Go to the TWRA website and more info then you would ever want is available on Smallmouth growth rates, and yes my original is dead on accurate as to what they found in our waters. So if you wish to kill a 16" bass, know it took around 15 years for him to get that big. He survived floods, predators, humans, etc etc etc. to get their, and thus the reason I have a ton of respect for them.

Also, you called the smallmouth a resource? With regs of 1 fish 18 to 20 inches who is resourcing them? Trophy hunters...that's who...

It is a resource as that the vast majority of bass anglers are C&R. BTW there have been a blue million articles and studies done which prove that to be fact. The resource unlike crappie is in the sportfishing aspect, not the table fare. Not trophy hunters, but people who like to fish for the enjoyment not for the food value.

I have released 1 bass that was illegal to keep, but was dead due to being hooked in the gills. I try to avoid that scenario by using barbless hooks, handling fish as little as possible, and not fishing when water temps get super warm.

Not everyone wants trophies evrey time they go fishing...they will be there naturally anyway...Why not use methods that allow for the future of the fishing instead of the quality of each individual fish...The experience and opportunity to fish should be above all else...Who wants to tell their young kids who are begging to keep the fish they caught..."sorry, its not big enough" Not me...I want my kids to experience the entire fishing experience from water to frying pan...How many fish are killed and wasted because they were too small? Ever hooked one not big enough and toss it back to just be a floater...Tears me up! Wast of that fishes life...could have been on my plate but no it will just rot in the water because some trophy reg says it's not big enough to keep.

First nothing goes to waste in nature. Let's look at a dead bass as it decomposes: Crawfish eat the flesh, bass eat the crawfish. Bacteria clean up what is left along with other aquatic invertebrates which feed baitfish which in turn feed smallmouth. So it doesn't go to waste, it only goes to waste when a human spin is put on the action.

The other part of the above post, is emotional stuff and really not much to respond to as that is your personal feelings. My personal feelings are that I would raise my kids to be sportfisherman on some species and harvest all they wish to legally on others. Some species are meant for the table and others are meant to be caught for enjoyment. For me and my values killing a fish and putting on the table is not the measurement of a successful outing. Just being out is enough, I don't have to bring home something to prove my worth or feel like I accomplished something. But like I said this is all personal stuff and really has no bearing in terms of the future of the sport or the resource.

Scrubs, every river in East TN with the exception of a couple has new slot limits on smallmouth.

Just as a side note, I am only concerned with river smallies, and everything I have said or posted is in relation to them.

Edited by captain hook (07/24/08 07:35 PM)

#836692 - 07/24/08 07:48 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
onerarebreed
Spike

Loc: Tn

you boys are just splitting hairs.just go out and enjoy nature as it exist,while you still can.The real trophy is in the experince and when that is lost all is lost.i been at this stuff since i was big enough to go fishin with my grandpa.Fish aint changed people have.

#836771 - 07/24/08 08:26 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: onerarebreed]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: onerarebreed
you boys are just splitting hairs.just go out and enjoy nature as it exist,while you still can.The real trophy is in the experince and when that is lost all is lost.i been at this stuff since i was big enough to go fishin with my grandpa.Fish aint changed people have.

Good point, but I think that's just what some folks with a monster passion for the sport do. They believe wholeheartedly, and they want to spread the word. I know I can't help myself. Lord, read the serious deer forum sometimes. Now there's some passion!

Speaking of passion, I will add this. You know how I toss back my trout (except one 10-incher a year on an annual camping trip)? I don't care what the rest of the world believes, that's just me. So anyway, like Hook, I am 10x more passionate about catch and release river smallies for Hook's same reasons. The thought of ever killing one for any reason makes me want to The resource is too precious and easily depleted to waste on a supper plate. Again, I'm not dogging anyone for their thoughts - those are just mine.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#836848 - 07/24/08 09:18 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: gil1]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

I am not dogging anyone either and just making sure everyone knows how I feel. I haven't killed a trout in eons, and would rather eat cat turds then a trout from one of these rivers, but that is just me.

I also feel like throughout hunting season I kill plenty of stuff and satiate my blood lust and do a little more conservation minded stuff in the warmer months.But that is just me.

#836852 - 07/24/08 09:20 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
mr.big
Non-Typical

Loc: Copper Head Road

smallmouth have a 16-21 slot on DH,,here what me and a couple friends think of it,,Rated R {L}.

dont open if offended by rednecks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YXQurRC3Lw

Edited by mr.big (07/24/08 09:21 PM)

#836859 - 07/24/08 09:26 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: mr.big]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: mr.big
smallmouth have a 16-21 slot on DH,,here what me and a couple friends think of it,,Rated R {L}.

dont open if offended by rednecks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YXQurRC3Lw

"19 1/2....MOTHER %#@*!!!" Priceless! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#836864 - 07/24/08 09:29 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: gil1]
mr.big
Non-Typical

we was prayin for something under 16,,sux to catch 10-12 fish between 16-21 .

#836897 - 07/24/08 09:50 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: mr.big]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: mr.big
we was prayin for something under 16,,sux to catch 10-12 fish between 16-21 .

If not for the slot, though, perhaps you wouldn't have caught anything. Probably the reason you didn't catch any below 16 is that people killed a lot of those fish. I'm not dissing your beliefs at all, but your catch size is why I like the slot. It would be much better if it were all catch and release and you just bought your fish at Kroger. ;\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#836905 - 07/24/08 09:56 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: gil1]
mr.big
Non-Typical

people aint kilin many legal,,heck you aint allowed but one big and one little un a day.

Page 4 of 13 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
77 registered (Poser, HuntNShoot, JAY B, catm1, stryker, Pine Ridge, 12 invisible) and 130 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85190 Topics
1029598 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.