Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#836329 - 07/24/08 02:41 PM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: Fordman]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

My understanding is that technically, if you're conveying paying passengers on a navigable waterway, you're supposed to have a USCG captain's license. That would include guide clients on your boat. Disclaimer - I haven't researched the law on this myself, so I'm going off of what I've been told by sources that may or may not be reliable. If you want a rock-solid, 100% certain, fully researched answer, somebody's gonna have to pay me. \:\)

That said:

a. I don't think the Caney Fork gets counted by the feds as a navigable waterway subject to their jurisdiction.

b. I don't know of any active enforcement of this requirement in Tennessee. Heck, I don't even remember the last time I saw the USCG on the water in Tennessee. As pointed out above, Kentucky is a different kettle of fish.

HOWEVER: If you are a guide on federally-recognized navigable waters, and you don't have a USCG Captain's License, you need to make sure your liability insurance is ok with that. I have heard from a striper guide I know that his insurance threatened to drop his coverage when they found out he wasn't in full compliance with the federal captain's license requirement. If you pay big bucks every year for liability coverage, and then you get sued and your ins. co. drops your coverage because you didn't have a captain's license, you could be in a world of hurt.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (07/24/08 02:42 PM)

#836339 - 07/24/08 02:49 PM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: B.D.]
onerarebreed
Spike

Loc: Tn

Well said.however i do not believe the caney for is navagible water way becaus it does not maintain a 9 foot draft depth.which is required by commercial purposed ie barges.The dam has no lock

#836353 - 07/24/08 02:57 PM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: onerarebreed]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

All true.But, as I understand it (and I quickly admit, I do not know), because the Caney can be navigated without impedement into the Cumberland, it falls within the realm.

I DO NOT KNOW. This is just what I have been told. Find out for yourself. All I am saying is that there are regulations in place. I, personally am sure I cannot pass the CG test. I also am sure I will not take it.

That is why I am not a guide.

But I know this. God forbid, should you have a serious accident involving personal injury, if you do not have this paper, you will be sued out of your socks.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#836379 - 07/24/08 03:22 PM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: bowriter]
onerarebreed
Spike

Not trying to start any crap but what are we going to do when we start having to get out of the way of jet skies.I have alredy seen them where i live about 1 mile below the dam.That would really ruin a good day at the river.

#836809 - 07/24/08 08:49 PM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: ]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

What is the difference in regulations between army corps and the tva????? .....they should work in the same rules, well maybe except for the baureacratic (B.S.)...... I woould like to see them in .5 ft of navigable waterways..!

#836821 - 07/24/08 08:59 PM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: shorefisherman]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I think there should be a limit on jet skis. Maybe 10 per day. You have to have a Sportsman's license to shoot more than that.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#837501 - 07/25/08 10:21 AM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: ]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: captain hook
If you notice, none of the Corp dams have any sort of beneficial improvements done to better the fisheries.

This is not accurate. The Caney is a corps dam and they have installed hub baffles, along with the orifice sluice installation that is planned for 8/4. Long term, there has been talk about a house unit or turbine bypass for minimum flow purposes as well (though I don't know if the orifice sluice supplants that).

The reason there's no wier on the Caney has nothing to do with whether it's a Corps or TVA dam. It's a matter of gradient - i.e., the river elevation doesn't drop far enough fast enough for a wier to be effective.

bd

#837537 - 07/25/08 10:44 AM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: B.D.]
onerarebreed
Spike

Actually the weir dam was going to be installed on our property just below the dam.They came and did extensive core drilling but i heard it wasn't the gradient the just ran out of money because of the expence of the saddle dam fuse plug they installed wound up costing more that they thought.Who really knows when it comes to the corps.

#837710 - 07/25/08 12:46 PM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: gil1]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: gil1
I think there should be a limit on jet skis. Maybe 10 per day. You have to have a Sportsman's license to shoot more than that.

Some people that ride wave runners carry guns also. ;\)

#837781 - 07/25/08 01:33 PM Re: SHUTTLE SERVICE [Re: Rackseeker]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: gbee
 Originally Posted By: gil1

Some people that ride wave runners carry guns also. ;\)

Prolly true, but a wet gun doesn't always do its job. On the other hand, most people don't take into account current speed when leading a waverunner. A turkey choke will blow your average jetskier away, but the pattern is too tight for the incredible speed these suckers generate these days. And then again, your average wader can't exactly dive for cover without floating his floppy hat. Could be a pretty fair fight.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
22 registered (redblood, junebugwapiti, PillsburyDoughboy, killerford, donkey5150, Master Chief, 3 invisible) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92900 Topics
1085465 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.12 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.