Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#835836 - 07/24/08 09:37 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Addendum...this sort of discussion is what I was thinking about when I suggested a float trip/campout.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#835872 - 07/24/08 09:51 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
onerarebreed
Spike

Loc: Tn

Does anyone know if the trout reproduce in the caney or not.I have cought several over the years and found them to have eggs in them. And I also believe the key to good trout in the caney is the amount of generation.I think you will see better fish of all species when the get the orfice installed in the sleuce gate at the dam.

#835887 - 07/24/08 09:56 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: onerarebreed]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Lord,, I wish I could continue, but I have to go redneckin'. The carp are waiting.
It's all black and white in my pea brain, but the reality is that we're into a very gray area. I really would like to implement BSKish QDM data to a trout stream, but it doesn't work that way.
It's hard to win hearts and minds by asking people to just believe what you believe. I guess it's just a leap of faith deal, and you sometimes land on your azz.
Will continue after I get this disgusting slime off my face.

Edited by gil1 (07/24/08 09:57 AM)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#835958 - 07/24/08 10:57 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I know as a staunch TU member, you have certain standards to adhere to. I also know you believe in those standards.

Dangit, got held up from carpin'!

I want to make something clear. Yes, I believe wholeheartedly in those standards, but unfortunately, Trout Unlimited does not and will never back those standards. They are a coldwater conservation organization, not some fishing club. Nowhere in their mission statement will you find anything that has to do with catching big fish. The fact that there is usually good fishing in clean water is just a bonus.

When I was Pres. of the local chapter, I traveled along with many other TU members to speak to the Commission about the brown trout reg. proposal. In a complex round-about beuarocratic way, the regs. would definitely help TU's mission, but TU would not support my stance because regulation is none of their business unless it somehow effects the resource. For TU, the resource is the water, not the fish. I was not even allowed to say that I was a member of the organization.

Don't get me wrong - TU will gladly dangle stories and pics. of beautiful salmonids in order to boost membership, but when they go to Capitol Hill to try to change laws or even when TU fights the local battles, it will be about water, not fish.

It's sort of the "little known fact."

Edited by gil1 (07/24/08 11:00 AM)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#836089 - 07/24/08 12:21 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Well the heck with them, then. I'm calling BSK. \:\)

That makes me so mad, I am going right straight to the Caney tomorrow and investigate. Then we'll see just what is what!

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#836584 - 07/24/08 06:39 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: ]
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

Originally Posted By: captain hook

Stalker I strongly disagree with you on the smallmouth regs, especially the river smallmouth regs. I am glad to see TWRA take a proactive approach and properly manage a very valuable resource. Of course most people who kill river smallies never take into consideration it takes them 8 years or so to reach 8"-10" long, and a 18" bass might be 14 years old or older.

For one I said that I understand slot limits to a degree for brood fish...for sustainablility of the fish population. But I disagree with the 1 fish over 18 or 20 inch rules because that is trophy only fishing...Why should smallies only be a trophy fish? Also, the info I found on smallies size to age raatio put them at 8 inches by age 3 and in the 18 inch by age 10 and older...

#836588 - 07/24/08 06:43 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: ]
Stalker
8 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook

Stalker I strongly disagree with you on the smallmouth regs, especially the river smallmouth regs. I am glad to see TWRA take a proactive approach and properly manage a very valuable resource. Of course most people who kill river smallies never take into consideration it takes them 8 years or so to reach 8"-10" long, and a 18" bass might be 14 years old or older.

Also, you called the smallmouth a resource? With regs of 1 fish 18 to 20 inches who is resourcing them? Trophy hunters...that's who...

#836598 - 07/24/08 06:51 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Stalker]
Stalker
8 Point

Not everyone wants trophies evrey time they go fishing...they will be there naturally anyway...Why not use methods that allow for the future of the fishing instead of the quality of each individual fish...The experience and opportunity to fish should be above all else...Who wants to tell their young kids who are begging to keep the fish they caught..."sorry, its not big enough" Not me...I want my kids to experience the entire fishing experience from water to frying pan...How many fish are killed and wasted because they were too small? Ever hooked one not big enough and toss it back to just be a floater...Tears me up! Wast of that fishes life...could have been on my plate but no it will just rot in the water because some trophy reg says it's not big enough to keep.

#836635 - 07/24/08 07:15 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Stalker]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

Stalker,

Smallmouth bass don't have a slot limit? I think what you are trying to say is if they had a slot limit, you could keep and eat some eating size fish....the breeding population would be protected, and people could keep a trophy if they chose....

Is that about right?

Scrubs

#836692 - 07/24/08 07:48 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: ]
onerarebreed
Spike

Loc: Tn

you boys are just splitting hairs.just go out and enjoy nature as it exist,while you still can.The real trophy is in the experince and when that is lost all is lost.i been at this stuff since i was big enough to go fishin with my grandpa.Fish aint changed people have.

Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
47 registered (in the dog house!, T.J., Nealmeally, catman529, Daniel n, southernhunter, 4 invisible) and 85 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93069 Topics
1087543 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.101 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.