Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#837605 - 07/25/08 11:23 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Problem is, it is always put in place for a select group. Of the hundreds of folks I've talked to (my friends) about the Caney, all except 2 would give their first born for a completely catch and release river. You are one of them. I'm not saying that that mentality is the majority, I'm just saying that there's no way to do it where everyone's happy.

I do believe, though, that if it's not already here, the time is coming when the majority will be in favor of much stricter regulations. You may not see it, but I do. Times are achangin'. Our society fishes less and less to put dinner on the table. It is inevitable.

It's probably a bad statement about the hustle and bustle of society, but it's definitely better for the fish and the fishing.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#837625 - 07/25/08 11:34 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: ]
onerarebreed
Spike

Loc: Tn

Those bass are probly still just as dead.just because something is against the law doesn't stop a law breaker.upstanding citizens will abide, the average criminal dosn't care.And our prisons are still full of murders and rapist that those laws did not deter.And I wonder how many poachers the twra did not catch.If you hadn't been there they would have gotten away with it.Where do you fish on the caney anyway.I live on the river myself.Respond with private e-mail if you like.As you can tell I am new to this web site. but I am very intered in this river.Lived here for the most of my 42 years.If I turned in evryone for every illegal fish I saw kept i would have to have the twra on speed dial.I am lucky enough to go to that river everyday.Guess I kni of take it for granted.Thats my bad.

#837633 - 07/25/08 11:36 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: onerarebreed]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Oh Gil...you don't have 100 friends. But yes, I'd support a 100% c&r with a caveat. I won't support a size limit.

This morning we caught slightly less than 30. We had six or eight over four pounds...well, maybe four over three...but we threw them all back.

If you want to make the Caney Fork, 100% C&R. Then stop the stocking. I'll back that. But if you continue the stocking, I oppose any further restriction.

Why...or how, can you on one hand, say, "We are putting these fish in this river for you to catch." And then say, "but you have to throw them all back."

It reminds very much of a blonde I met in a bar.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#837682 - 07/25/08 12:24 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
onerarebreed
Spike

Gentlemen,would you support a stretch of river say from the Rest aera up where no fishing is allowed .Thats where all the pressure is anyway.Not for ever of course but for a couple of years.What in your opinions would that result in.It would sure make it easy for the twra to police.

#837707 - 07/25/08 12:44 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter

If you want to make the Caney Fork, 100% C&R. Then stop the stocking. I'll back that. But if you continue the stocking, I oppose any further restriction.

Why...or how, can you on one hand, say, "We are putting these fish in this river for you to catch." And then say, "but you have to throw them all back."

Because by definition, that's what C&R is all about. Not only are we putting these fish in here for you to catch, but since it's C&R, your catching opportunities will be fantastic. It is for folks that really enjoy fishing, that want to catch bigger fish, that would rather catch more than eat more. The river is for entertainment value, not used as a food source. If you quit taking food from it, it will be even more entertaining.

I realize that some don't like catching big and more fish as much as they like to eat fish and have worse fishing, but that's what it's about. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone that's not starving doesn't beg for that kind of experience.

People pay a ton of money for that type of quality fishing experience all over the country. They bypass TN to go to those places and spend that money elewhere. We could offer it for free. I know it won't happen because the meathunters aren't quite ready to give up even one of their food source rivers for better fishing. If dynamiting were legal, they wouldn't own a rod, and I get that.

BW - I know you're making a point, but surely you aren't brain dead. If you stop stocking, the fish will eventually die out. If there's any natural reproduction on the Caney, it's a joke compared to what it would need to sustain the fishery. Perhaps that will change some day, but the Caney has to be stocked or there will be no trout.

Onerarebreed is right - I will drive myself crazy trying to make others understand, and I will not change many minds. But the wave of progressive management is coming because it makes more money than stocking for food. Those that like eating fish better than catching them will not be happy that they will have to go to the grocery.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#837716 - 07/25/08 12:49 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: onerarebreed]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: onerarebreed
Gentlemen,would you support a stretch of river say from the Rest aera up where no fishing is allowed .Thats where all the pressure is anyway.Not for ever of course but for a couple of years.What in your opinions would that result in.It would sure make it easy for the twra to police.

I'm not sure I understand the point. Why would we not utilize the entire resource? I can't think of an upside to a no fishing section for even one day.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#837765 - 07/25/08 01:18 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: gil1]
onerarebreed
Spike

Sorry took so long been hulling butter beans.well would that not give them time to grow not as much stocking would be required.and would probably cut down on the number of fish that die from C&R.and believe me i see pleanty of fish where I live that die from that.a lot of keepers to.Why not just try it for six mo to a year.Of course a lot of local people will raise cane but a lot of them don't buy a trout stamp anyway. There are many size regs in place.I wonder if anything like that has been tried before.

#837818 - 07/25/08 01:59 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: onerarebreed]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

If you were going to do that, why not just leave them in the hatchery runs longer? I'm sorry, I don't see how a no fishing zone on a stocked river makes any sense. I assume it's just some kind of exaggerated overstatement to prove a point, but I don't see how it proves any point since it's entirely apples and oranges from even the most extreme proposal on the drawing board right now.

bd

#837844 - 07/25/08 02:19 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: B.D.]
onerarebreed
Spike

Cause in the hatchery it is all about numbers.In the wild it is about genetics and the ability to survive adapt and reproduce. and some of these fish do reproduce i have caught fingerlings in my minnow traps in the spring during high water perods approximately three quaters of a mile away from where it empties into the river.and have seen a lot of 10 to 12 inch trout up in that same small creek a mile or better away from the river.And i am talkin about a small creek that dries completely up in mid summer.I just believe they need a chance to reproduce with the correct water conditions.Thats the main key for all species.and water conditions have improved over the last few years.

#837852 - 07/25/08 02:23 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: onerarebreed]
onerarebreed
Spike

Shoot Im tierd of talkin bout it I think I will brave the rain and go to the river right now.I want some smoked trout and butter beans for supper.Later guys.thanks.

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (devo1980, Trevor2, 7wsm, bigtex, parkerxbowhunter, jlmustain, 13 invisible) and 183 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99063 Topics
1164781 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.074 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.