Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 9 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#834689 - 07/23/08 02:41 PM I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

This forum doesn't have a poll option, so I'm linking to a different forum. I hope that's okay.

I've got a poll going here:

http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=2532

Text:

To everyone who fishes the Caney:

As we all know, the Caney Fork is a great trout tailwater, but it gets more fishing pressure than just about any other trout water in Tennessee. With the river fishing really well for the last couple years, a lot of discussion has been starting about strengthening the size regulations on the river.

Current regs include no size limit on rainbow trout, with a "trophy" limit on brown trout where people can keep no more than two over 18" per day.

I support improving the size limits, but I've noticed that there are a lot of different thoughts floating around about what limits would be best. I have tried to include all the different options I've heard. If we can, I think it's best to speak with one voice on the issue. Therefore, I'm putting out "feelers" on several boards to see if there's any consensus about what the most popular size limit rule would be.

Let me know what you think!

bd

#834735 - 07/23/08 03:08 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I guess we can't vote in that poll unless we're logged in? Or did I miss it?

Well, you know I wish it were all catch and release, but I guess I'd better try to be reasonable. 1 brown over 20 inches per day, and a 16-20 inch slot limit on rainbows. Wonder if they're going to keep stocking brookies? If so, they should definitely be a bonus fish - catch and release.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#834770 - 07/23/08 03:37 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I favor no size limit on any of 'em. Reduce the creel limit if you want, but size limits on trout in the Caney never have and never will work.

For full explanation, see my article in Tn Sportsman- "Screw Your Ruler, The Story of a Crooked King."

Seriously. In a put and take situation...get real.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#834854 - 07/23/08 06:37 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

I agree with bowriter all fish that are solely put and take should have no size or creel limit.....GMAFB.

So every species of fish stocked by the state: stripers, hybrid striped bass, walleye, largemouth bass, crappie, trout, sturgeoon, muskies, what have I missed......

Good thing I no longer get Tn Sportsman the writing was just cheap manufactured poo, each article could be written for another state by simply changing the names on the bodies of water.

Get rid of the brookies, what a waste of money.

Scrubs

#834862 - 07/23/08 06:42 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I favor no size limit on any of 'em. Reduce the creel limit if you want, but size limits on trout in the Caney never have and never will work.

For full explanation, see my article in Tn Sportsman- "Screw Your Ruler, The Story of a Crooked King."

Seriously. In a put and take situation...get real.

All evidence to the contrary...

Dr. Saxton Pope

#834875 - 07/23/08 06:51 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: stillinscrubs]
7mm08
12 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Bowriter, I like you, but I strongly disagree with you on this. Slot limits are essential even in a put and take fishery. Without any regulatons, there is NO regulations. In other words the threat of getting busted by johnny law with ruler in hand, the killers will run rampant as they have on the Clinch and other tailwaters.

One quick question. Have you ever paid for a plane ticket or spent time to go out west and fish? Why did you do that..for the quality fishing, provided by slot limits, and catch and release limits that have been in effect for years. How many people come to TN to trout fish vs those that travel to WY, MT, or even Arkansas for that matter. Quality management doesn't just envolve deer. If that's the case, kill every deer you can find and watch what happens to the herd in a year(although yes they can reproduce, but it too is artificial since there are already doe only, buck only, regs in place for management).

If you don't want regs on put and take trout streams, just quit stocking the things all together. Let mother nature take it course, and spend the money that you get on licenses on crappie, or bass fishing, although I would say a larger percent of fishing license go towards trout management in this state.

#834878 - 07/23/08 06:53 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: gil1]
Model70Man
12 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

content Online
Instead of doing a size or creel limit, keep the regs the same, but do a trophy section where only 22" or above can be kept.
Zeiss Victory Varipoint #60 Illuminated

#834918 - 07/23/08 07:16 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Model70Man]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Model 70- Explain to me just how you would do that and how you would enforce it. It didn't work 20 years ago. How would it be better now?

Now as to my statement re size limits. That stream is not stocked for the trophy fisherman. It is not stocked for the flyfisherman or the bait fisherman. It is stocked for the enjoyment of all fishermen, very few of whom would support a size limit or even understand it.

Why, pray tell, can't we just leave it alone. There are very few of us interested in trophy trout. Why can't it just continue to be managed for trout fishing?

And scrubs, I haven't written for that rag in 15 years. But I think I'll start again. \:\)

7mm08- No, I never have. Never gave it a thought. The trout fishing here is so much better, it never crossed my mind to fly somewhere and fish for smaller fish.

Now Gil- What evidence do you speak of?

I'm having fun, now.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#834926 - 07/23/08 07:20 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: bowriter]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

\:\)

#835013 - 07/23/08 07:46 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: B.D.]
waterman
4 Point

Loc: roane county

browns on the caney are much better after the 18" limit was put into effect. I wouldnt be opposed to a slot limit on the rainbows.
Page 1 of 9 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (74MOPAR, laserman, duckriver, MickThompson, redhunterZ71, turf08, 14 invisible) and 163 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93187 Topics
1089297 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.102 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.