Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#829979 - 07/20/08 10:33 PM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Troy Basso
Yep and the more detailed you guys make your caney reports the more people you can expect to see. I find the internet fishing thing humorous. I know guys who wont tell you anything other than if thhey caught fish and get them on a PC and they cant shut the heyal up. Thats one reason I love Michigan-sportsman.com as they delete any fishing report that gives specfic locations out.

With all due respect to you and others with that mentality...
I think you already know this about me, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Michigan Sportsman can kiss my red azz. Sounds like a great soap opera chatroom, but one of the most important virtues of this site is the free exchange of helpful information.

How are these people that haven't done it supposed to learn unless someone helps them. That's why I post flies, recipes, photos, and reports. I feel like it's my job to help folks after all the mentors that had pity on this dumb shmuck.

I will never understand it. If someone tells me a secret fly or place, I will never reveal their secret. If it's my pattern or my honey-hole, it's none of anybody's business who I tell.

Again, Troy, with all due respect, this is the topic that makes me crazy!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#829995 - 07/20/08 10:43 PM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: gil1]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

Originally Posted By: gil1

How are these people that haven't done it supposed to learn unless someone helps them.

By paying the great troy basso, he is the only ethically acceptable means of learning to fish, of course.

I agree with you gil....only hope of getting people to respect a resource also.....

Edited by stillinscrubs (07/20/08 10:48 PM)

#830008 - 07/20/08 10:54 PM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: stillinscrubs]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Gil we have known each other a very long time and I respect your views this topic and wont debate them as I know how I feel and you and I will never agree on this topic. I am simply stating when you give away detailed information,VIA THE INTERNET, its not only helping the person your intending but also the other millions who read it as well. Person to person is a horse of a different color I would tell you where,when, and what fly I was using but I would never post all that on the web.
To clarify I was not stating the origional poster nor gil had given out to much info on this thread. I had read 5 threads on three boards tonight about the crowded river conditions. I know its not only the ease of finding information that makes it crowded but it is a big contributor for sure.
Of course I realize the price of fuel, and other economic trends have caused people, non anglers, to seek out things closer to home and that has had a profound effect on the river as well.
I will say the bikini hatches that have become more prolific as of late are not all that bad of a side effect.

Edited by Troy Basso (07/20/08 11:09 PM)

#830036 - 07/20/08 11:21 PM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

It's always nice helping out folks you know.

I guess I don't mind helping out folks I don't know either. For me, it's just an extension of all those people that had never met me but stopped to give me the fly that was working that day or an impromptu casting lesson. I've got some pretty good friends that I met because one of us decided to help the other on the river.

I've also had lots of PMs from tndeerfolks I've never met wanting help or wanting to help me right back.
Life's too short, my friend. You will never post the info., and I always will. Evens out, I guess.
I don't blame you for not debating it. Even a master debater like you would lose this argument. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#830401 - 07/21/08 10:26 AM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

There is a new canoe rental place that seems to be advertising hardcore as well - http://www.canoethecaney.com. They have billboards up and everything. They seem to be intent on turning the Caney into a high-volume float destination similar to the Ocoee.

There has definitely been a huge increase in "newbie" paddlers thanks to this operation. I have seen three canoes slam anchored boats and one hit a guy wading in a run on Saturday - I am 99% sure all were canoes from this operation because of the numbers on the ends.

I also saw a couple girls in one of the numbered canoes paddle past the Smith Fork on Sunday. I told them I thought they overshot their takeout but they didn't want to listen to me. They said they were on a 9-mile float from the dam, and I told them that sounded like Betty's Island and they'd better turn back. They said "Nope, that's not the name of the takeout he told us," and kept going. I hope they liked Carthage.

If this venture is successful, we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg on the size - and stupidity - of the crowds that we'll be getting on the Caney. I'd suggest that we'd better start thinking about ways to get a grip on this - maybe permitting for canoe rentals and caps on the number of trips they can run per day? Otherwise, this is going to get way out of hand.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (07/21/08 10:30 AM)

#830438 - 07/21/08 10:55 AM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Yeah, I saw the big Canoe the Caney bus when I took out at Happy. They had about 50 canoes there. They were parked and blocking the ramp. Admittedly, they nicely scurried to move when I asked. I'm just not sure what can be done. They have as much right to the river as the fishermen. Only thing is, fishermen don't mess up canoeing, but canoers can sure mess up fishing.

Most of the canoers showed some courteous awareness of others, but the oddballs ruined it for everyone. Why do some float right through where you are fishing when they could easily go around? Why do some purposely slam their paddles as hard as they can against the water. Why do some throw rocks near the fishermen? And my favorite...what were the morons doing throwing fireworks in the water? Could have easily killed fish. BTW, this got the attention of enforcement, but they never got caught.

Those canoer girls may well be to the Gulf of Mexico by now!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#830449 - 07/21/08 10:59 AM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: B.D.]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Brian is right. The new outfit is doing a big group business both in canoes and kayaks. However, weekdays are still not bad. I quit fishing anywhere on weekends a long time ago.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#830453 - 07/21/08 11:01 AM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: B.D.]
8kler
4 Point

Loc: watertown tn

me and a couple of freinds fished the caney like most saturdays the past couple of years except huntin season. we caught a ton of fish. the majority of the people seem to be canoeing past or have no idea what they are trying to do. what aggervates me are the mexicans at happy h. catching and keeping whatever, every sat.
#830502 - 07/21/08 11:42 AM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: gil1

Most of the canoers showed some courteous awareness of others, but the oddballs ruined it for everyone. Why do some float right through where you are fishing when they could easily go around? Why do some purposely slam their paddles as hard as they can against the water. Why do some throw rocks near the fishermen? And my favorite...what were the morons doing throwing fireworks in the water?

The answer to questions 1, 2, and 3 is, "Because they don't know any better." I'm not sure about the fireworks. I'll chalk that up to "There are a-holes in every crowd."

Quote:
Those canoer girls may well be to the Gulf of Mexico by now!

True dat. I was just trying to help them with my questions about "Where did you put in and where are you supposed to take out," but I think maybe they were reluctant to give too much information to a stranger out in the wilderness. I could have been some pervert. Oh, wait - actually... \:\)

Anyway, Gil, keep in mind that you and I are subsidizing this operation. Our license dollars go to maintain those ramps at Happy Hollow and Betty's Island, which this business is using to drop canoes all day long at $75 a pop. What are they giving back?

Fishing weekdays avoids the crowds, but not all of us have that option.

I posted a rant on this at another forum I frequent. I'm interested to see the responses.

http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=2527

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (07/21/08 11:47 AM)

#830813 - 07/21/08 02:31 PM Re: caney fork 7-19-08 [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Something that blew my mind a few years ago was a fishing raft trip down the New River in WV. I actually went several times. The river was loaded with party rafts and kayakers. They were jumping in the river, slapping paddles and having a big time.

And we caught smallmouth, big smallmouth out the whazoo. I then into the same thing on the Current River in MO. On that trip, I swear, two women-early 20's came floating by on inner tubes and each had two six packs dragging behind them. Oh, they were also topless. I have never cast so poorly in my life. My first cast actually caught one of the tubes. The second cast caught the other. Man was my aim off. And after all that, it was warm Milwaukee's Best Light.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (Mudbone, Master Chief, THEdonkey0515, Redwing, deerkiller300wsm, dmonty, 10 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91527 Topics
1069980 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.