Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#829998 - 07/20/08 10:45 PM Perdido Key
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

For anyone heading in that direction anytime soon, there are large schools of blue-runners on the beach. My son got into several this morning on the Ala-Florida line. He was using two jigs, and while the species is not big, a double can be troublesome, in a fun manner. There are some ladyfish thrown in also, just for variety.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#831434 - 07/21/08 08:52 PM Re: Perdido Key [Re: 4onaside]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Where are you staying? We stayed at Perdido Towers back in June. We really enjoyed it, not a bunch of traffic or people. When I go back I'm carring my fishing gear.

#831573 - 07/21/08 09:56 PM Re: Perdido Key [Re: Rackseeker]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I'm going down to Gulf Shores the first week of August, and I'm toting along a couple of cheapy 7-foot spinning rods (I know, not ideal for surf fishing, but it's what I have).

By blue-runners, do you mean bluefish?

I'm a complete newbie to the surf fishing scene, but hopefully I'll do well enough to catch dinner for the 5 of us at some point.

#832433 - 07/22/08 12:29 PM Re: Perdido Key [Re: Rackseeker]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: gbee
Where are you staying? We stayed at Perdido Towers back in June. We really enjoyed it, not a bunch of traffic or people. When I go back I'm carring my fishing gear.
It is my son, and the only thing that I can tell you that it is a high-rise condo right on the Ala. Florida line. And, my wife who is along for ride, says that it is very crowded, beach, stores, etc. Not the way we remember Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Perdido Key.

Polish proverb

#832459 - 07/22/08 12:37 PM Re: Perdido Key [Re: Crosshairy]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
I'm going down to Gulf Shores the first week of August, and I'm toting along a couple of cheapy 7-foot spinning rods (I know, not ideal for surf fishing, but it's what I have).

By blue-runners, do you mean bluefish?

I'm a complete newbie to the surf fishing scene, but hopefully I'll do well enough to catch dinner for the 5 of us at some point.
No, on the species. We have caught bluefish down there before, and they are endowed with a good set of choppers(you do not lip a bluefish!). Blue runners are members of the jack family, do not get very big, maybe a pound or so on average, but like most saltwater fish, great fighters. Before someone suggests that these are hardtails, they are not. They look just light a bluefish, but without teeth! I remember catching some years ago, at Coral Gables. And, on your tackle, my son bought a $20 spin rig at Walmart, heavier and strong stuff that we use in fresh water,that works just fine in the surf. I believe that he he using speck rigs, which are two paint brush jigs tied together, and which can be bought anywhere on the gulf, bait stores, drive in groceries, etc. The last time that we were down, we got into some ladyfish on night at dark in Perdido pass, that literally broke off of our conventional fresh water stuff, just about every hookup. Our freshwater tackle can normally handle ladyfish, but these were the biggest that I had ever seen.

Polish proverb

#832466 - 07/22/08 12:39 PM Re: Perdido Key [Re: 4onaside]
4onaside
12 Point

Crosshairy, he bought the spin rig at the walmart at Foley, where salt water gear is obviously common down there.

Polish proverb

#833479 - 07/22/08 09:44 PM Re: Perdido Key [Re: 4onaside]
Crosshairy
10 Point

thanks for the tip!

I have 10 or 12 lb test spooled on my 2 spinning rods, and I bought some 30-lb test monofilament to use for leaders. Hopefully that will get the job done.

#833568 - 07/22/08 10:32 PM Re: Perdido Key [Re: Crosshairy]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
thanks for the tip!

I have 10 or 12 lb test spooled on my 2 spinning rods, and I bought some 30-lb test monofilament to use for leaders. Hopefully that will get the job done.
Something that I learned the hard way the night of the spectacular ladyfish feeding frenzy. We should have been using wire leaders. While they don't have teeth, like bluefish and spanish, the big ones are so violent with their strike and runs, that wire helps you to land many fish that you would not normally land. And, if you are looking to catch something to eat, most of the stuff that we are talking about are not much table fish. An easy one that is good to eat and is just about everywhere down there are whiting. Just put a shrimp on the bottom and you can usually locate some. Also, you pick up an occasional flounder on shrimp, but if you want to catch any numbers of those, get some minnows, I think that they call them bull minnows. Ask at a bait shop.

Polish proverb

#834177 - 07/23/08 10:39 AM Re: Perdido Key [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: AAHCmember
I fished Perdido Key last year, caught a 27in Trout on squid
also several Redfish and King Mackerals, it was alot of fun fishing from the sand. Stayed in a hotel next door to the Flora-Bama Bar.........Orange Beach is about the closets NICE BEACH
from West, TN.
Im not too crazy about anything West of it!

That would be the Phoenix ten, which is where my son stayed, and out in front of which were the schools of blue runners.

Polish proverb

#838745 - 07/26/08 08:22 AM Re: Perdido Key [Re: 4onaside]
Crosshairy
10 Point

I'm getting excited about the trip now...one week from today!

My only hope is that the weather cooperates. They seem to be getting rain all the time down there, and it's making me a tad nervous.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
23 registered (tn droptine, ghosthunter, 7mm08, MUP, 94user, duckriver, 1 invisible) and 66 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88247 Topics
1033852 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.243 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.