Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#829072 - 07/20/08 09:15 AM Getting ready?
BigWes50
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

This is about the time of year where I really start shooting alot and getting everything tuned up. How often should I shoot? Every evening fewer shoots? Every other evening more shoots? What do yall do? opinions and thoughts would be helpful. Thanks Wes
Just as the deer can suddenly materialize in the woods, "Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect" (Matthew 24:44)

#829260 - 07/20/08 12:53 PM Re: Getting ready? [Re: BigWes50]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Just about every other afternoon I'll shoot once at 10,20,30,40,and 50 yards. When its this hot the more I shoot the worse I get, then I get to second guessing my set-up. Around the first of Sept. I'll start shooting from a stand in the back yard at a 3-D deer target. This is what works for me.

#829361 - 07/20/08 02:23 PM Re: Getting ready? [Re: Rackseeker]
squattin dogg
10 Point

Loc: Gallatin,TN USA / Deer Camp

Hey if you want a good tune up you should come to our 3-D archery shoot in Hendersonville at the Rockland Recreation Area. The PineCreek Archery club is going to put on a string shoot August 24. http://www.pinecreekarchery.com for more details and contact info.

B&L Outdoors......Go big or go home!!!

#830363 - 07/21/08 09:49 AM Re: Getting ready? [Re: squattin dogg]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

I just switched to my hunting set up. I finished tuning the new ripcord, and have it shooting inside a half dollar out to 35.

I try and shoot about 20 shots at a time. I vary how long I hold, and visualize different hunting senarios. Once I get all my pins set (out to about 55 yards). Most of my practicing will be at my farthest pin.

I do this for the whole session and only move in closer about once a week. I also try and shoot a 3d on the weekends to practice on game like animals and work on yardage (dont always have time for a rangefinder). This has worked well for me over the past few years.

#837098 - 07/25/08 06:33 AM Re: Getting ready? [Re: BowGuy84]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I shoot every other day . It's better to shot a dozen good arrows every practice session while you are fresh than a hundred scattered everywhere when you are tired .
Practice good shooting habits . Practicing when you are tired reinforces bad shooting habits .
For good hunting practice , focus on that first arrow at unknown yardages and pull it after every shot . Make it count . Deer don't stand still for groups .
Leave the rangefinder behind and practice judging yardage . I'd say that is the most important step in practice . Too many guys rely on rangefinders , when they might not have time in the woods to take a reading on a deer moving in quickly in an area without landmarks to get an accurate reading ahead of time .

#837132 - 07/25/08 06:46 AM Re: Getting ready? [Re: Radar]
Seminole39
12 Point

Loc: B-Y-B to the double E

Originally Posted By: Radar
Leave the rangefinder behind and practice judging yardage . I'd say that is the most important step in practice . Too many guys rely on rangefinders , when they might not have time in the woods to take a reading on a deer moving in quickly in an area without landmarks to get an accurate reading ahead of time .
great advice. took the words out of my mouth.

"Reformed WESTSIDE"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#838978 - 07/26/08 12:57 PM Re: Getting ready? [Re: Radar]
MDM
4 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, TN

Originally Posted By: Radar
I shoot every other day . It's better to shot a dozen good arrows every practice session while you are fresh than a hundred scattered everywhere when you are tired .
Practice good shooting habits . Practicing when you are tired reinforces bad shooting habits .
For good hunting practice , focus on that first arrow at unknown yardages and pull it after every shot . Make it count . Deer don't stand still for groups .

The man has spoken

#839132 - 07/26/08 05:11 PM Re: Getting ready? [Re: MDM]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I usually start shooting about the first of july but not this year......
I need to get started now and gradually work on my strength and concentration......As i have gotten into my late 40's it is getting more and more difficult each year to get there in a short amount of time.
Still i will be ready by opening day ....
as for shooting i usually take a shot at 20,and 30 several times each day or every other day depending on schedule until season starts.

#840271 - 07/27/08 03:04 PM Re: Getting ready? [Re: Boone 58]
nabowhunter
8 Point

Loc: Morristown, TN

After I spend time tuning everything I start shooting around 30 shots every evening. Sometimes I will shoot more if I'm not tiring out, but I really concentrate on form and repetition through the summer.

Generally around the first of September I will shoot just 1 shot at a time, a few times a day. I will shoot from treestand and blind positions during each of these at a 3d target. Making each shot the one that counts. Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (ferg, Pic IN the Casa, TNGunsmoke, Bullfrog, de novo, TENN.BOY, 12 invisible) and 132 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85671 Topics
1035287 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.208 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.