Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#820789 - 07/14/08 11:20 AM TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon.
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

The Caney Fork has been a hot topic on this forum for a while. Lots of folks have been PMing me wanting to know about the Caney or how to fly fish. I'm no pro, but Chris Nischan, Monday night's speaker is.

The huge majority of insects on our southern tailwaters are midges. Many folks are put off by fishing such a tiny bug imitation. I used to be to, but since I learned the technique, I have caught the majority of my fish on midges and small flies. Here's your chance to learn how and to meet some folks that can help you. Hope to see a good tndeer contingent at the meeting!
Gil

Spotlight on Successful Midge Fishing

July 21, 2008 TU Meeting Speaker of the Month

Guide Chris Nischan

- Dr. Dick Davis

Having fished on the Caney Fork offering endless flies to the trout gods with no bites, I know how frustrating an experience it can be. Watching trout sipping bugs on the water surface with faint rings, you know they are eating, just not your offering of gourmet flies. Suddenly, you shout down river to an angler netting one trout after another. “What are they taking?” He shouts back, “midges.” Suddenly, you quake in your wading boots since you’ve never tied a midge on small tippet nor know how to properly fish it. You wished you'd come to that TU meeting about midge fishing. Don't worry, you haven't missed it, it's coming up at our next TU meeting on Monday, July 21, 2008. Chris Nischan will be our featured speaker and will provide us with pearls of wisdom on how to be successful fishing with midges and small flies.

Chris Nischan…Guide and Conservationist

Local guide Chris Nischan (http://www.rodandgunguide.com/main.htm) will be presenting, “How to Midge Fish Successfully.” As a guide for over 20 years, Chris has been an Orvis Endorsed Guide for 15 years. He is currently a licensed guide in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Arkansas for both trout and warm water fishing. Chris has serves on the TU Board and conducts fly fishing schools and has participated in numerous guide training courses. If you’ve ever fished the Caney Fork, Elk River, Cumberland River or the South Holston River, then there is a good chance you’ve run into Chris and seen his professionalism first hand. In addition, if you’ve ever hunted, you’ve probably never seen him in his camo hunting for deer, duck, and turkey in Tennessee and elk in Montana.

Catching More Trout ….Learning to Midge Fish

If you would like to hear more about midge fishing to improve your odds fishing for trout, then you’ll want to attend the next TU meeting, Monday July 21, 2008 at the Caney Fork Fish Camp Restaurant. Need a map or more info? Go to http://www.caneyforkfishcamp.com/ , social hour at 6 pm, dinner to follow with presentation at 7 pm. Chris will also be tying midges during the social hour for those interested in learning the fly pattern.

Dr. Dick Davis, President Cumberland TU Chapter

Trout Unlimited • Cumberland Chapter • P.O. Box 331991 Nashville, TN 37203 • http://www.cumberlandtu.org

Black fly larva...

Most of the below are midge imitations...

Dr. Saxton Pope

#821612 - 07/14/08 08:27 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: ]
bcunnin1
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro/Knoxville

Ahhh nothing like a size 22 bead headed zebra midge fished off a BHPT with 7X.
#821716 - 07/14/08 09:21 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: bcunnin1]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bcunnin1

That is EXACTLY what folks have been slaying them on on the Caney!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#821719 - 07/14/08 09:24 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Originally Posted By: gil1
 Originally Posted By: bcunnin1

That is EXACTLY what folks have been slaying them on on the Caney!

Bull crap the fly for the caney is a 6 inch streamer tied in a 7/0 special purpose tarpon hook. with 1.4 ounce of lead wrapped on the shank. Once you see the fish you just hit them in the head with it.

#821963 - 07/14/08 11:37 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
I got a better midge then those. Not being arrogant, just being honest. Not a #22 either, I would 7mm08 has a trick or two up his sleeve if I was betting.

That's my picture, and believe me, I got a better midge than those too!

If you'd like to share, let's hear it. I've probably posted pics. of most of the top 10 "secret" flies I tie.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#829203 - 07/20/08 12:05 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

Reminder - Monday Meeting

Dr. Saxton Pope

#829939 - 07/20/08 10:05 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

I may break down and come to this one. I hate TU but Chris is a good speaker.

Edited by Troy Basso (07/20/08 10:05 PM)

#829946 - 07/20/08 10:13 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Troy Basso
I may break down and come to this one. I hate TU but Chris is a good speaker.

Heck, TU even lets bait fishermen and ugly women in! I guess they'd have to let you in, too. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#829964 - 07/20/08 10:25 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

LOL ok even I thought that was funny! And I do feel the need to clarify before BD gets here.. I dont dislike TU as an organization and my hats off t their conservation efforts but these meetings are what gives me a case of the arse. I went for several months and the ONLY person who was not to stuck up to speak was Jack. The rest of them were to worried about wrinkling their suits to get up and welcome anyone to the meeting.
#829987 - 07/20/08 10:40 PM Re: TU Caney Fork Midge Fishin Mtg. - Mon. [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Well, I'll disagree with you again. Never seen the slightest inkling of that, but I had heard that used to be true many years ago. To each his own, though.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (RKenney, catman529, In_my_sights, Southern Sportsman, BULL MOOSE, Tn Joe, 9 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93340 Topics
1089854 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.108 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.