Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#825062 - 07/17/08 12:05 AM Need a few tips.
Back Home
10 Point

Loc: Lebanon

1. What hooks do you guys use??

I use a 3/0 or 4/0 EWG Gamakatsu hook when fishing worms or tubes. I almost always fish them T-rigged. Tubes are by far my favorite bait to use, but I'm missing too many fish. The shape of the hook angles back into the tube making a hook-set more difficult. All of the EWGs I've seen look similar in shape. All too often, I'll set the hook only for the fish to jump and get off (crankbaits even more so). Or better yet, I'll get the fish in the boat only to find the hook barely breaking the skin on the top of the throat. That just seems impossible as hard as I set the hook. Anyone who fishes with me will tell you I'm a bit wild when I jerk.

2. Can the type of line you use have that much effect on how well you feel the bite?

My dad put some line on my reels a few weeks ago and it seems like I can't feel the bite very well now. Almost always, I'm used to feeling a bump-bump, or one bump. But lately, it seems like I just pull up and the fish is there. No bite, no warning, no line shift. Nothing. And by the time I recognize the fish, it's too late. He's felt the weight, and he lets go.

Thanks for the feedback.

#825133 - 07/17/08 02:52 AM Re: Need a few tips. [Re: Back Home]
Swamphunter
12 Point

Loc: Munford, TN

I still use Tru Turn hooks for worms. Most of the time hes hooked in the top of the mouth, and its hard for him to spit it out. I tried Gama worm hooks a few years ago because everyone else was using them, but lost/ missed too many fish. With tubes I use a wide gap Gama. I dont fish them much, but when I do Im flippin them into heavy cover with a 7 foot flippin stick, so hook set is not usually a problem.

Not sure about ?2. I think its more the way the fish are taking the bait, but I guess all lines react differently.

#825293 - 07/17/08 08:15 AM Re: Need a few tips. [Re: Swamphunter]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I use Owner hooks for all my soft plastics. You shouldnt have trouble with hook penetration with that brand. There are tons of different styles of hooks available that you dont see at everyday tackle shops. Theres probably a specialty hook with the perfect bend for your needs. That sounds like what your problem is to me.

Question #2 is yes.

If you are having trouble feeling the bite, that would explain why you are having hook penetration problems. Sounds like a Monofilament line with alot of stretch going on. I recommend for you to try some braid with that tube. You definitely wont have trouble feeling a bite, or the bottom, or a pebble!

#825460 - 07/17/08 09:29 AM Re: Need a few tips. [Re: username]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

owner or gamatsu hooks and berkley vanish line

#825961 - 07/17/08 02:49 PM Re: Need a few tips. [Re: easy45]
Back Home
10 Point

Good info. thanks.
#826013 - 07/17/08 03:20 PM Re: Need a few tips. [Re: Back Home]
mossyhorns300
10 Point

Loc: memphis, tn & savannah, tn

Question 2.

Ditto what username said.

Use braid, flourocarbon, or some of the new hybrid lines. They have alot less stretch than mono resulting in more sensitivity. This time of year, I hardly ever feel that tell-tale "thump-thump" of a bass hitting plastics. Fish seem to be alot more sluggish this time of year and not as aggressive as earlier in the year when it's cooler. Metabolism is just slower. Majority of my fish I have been catching, I haven't really felt at all, just watched my line for something out of the ordinary. I just feel something different, such as the lure feeling heavy as if you got hung in the grass. I spend alot of time just watching my line this time of year, as I don't seem to feel them hit it real hard.

Pretty women make us buy beer...........Ugly women make us drink beer!

#826167 - 07/17/08 05:10 PM Re: Need a few tips. [Re: mossyhorns300]
Hook1
4 Point

Loc: Cleveland Tn.

Mighty big hook for a tube,,,I almost always use the gammies in a 1/0 for tube baits,,,3/0 - 5/0 for worms,,,I lose more fish with owners than any other hook,,,they have no barb,,,metabolism should be wide open right now,,,it's slows down with cooler water temps.

#826746 - 07/17/08 11:48 PM Re: Need a few tips. [Re: Hook1]
Back Home
10 Point

1/0, and 2/0 are definitely too small for the fat 4" tubes I use.
#827208 - 07/18/08 10:25 AM Re: Need a few tips. [Re: Back Home]
Dr. Dickel
12 Point

Loc: Hockins County

1) Hooks...The hook of choice for me with 4 inch tubes is a 3/0 Eagle Claw Lazer HP hook. This hook is very sharp and has a clip at the eye of it where you tie the knot that holds the tube head and keeps it from sliding down the shank when you are fishing grass, brush, or jerking on a fish. Push the hook all the way through the tube and skin hook it on the other side. This makes it totally weedless and the hook is easier to get into a fish. I mostly use 5/16 oz weights with the 4 inch tubes as I am flipping and pitching these into heavy cover most of the time. Do not peg the sinker on a tube as that is the beauty of a tube....it will never fall the same weigh twice when a weight is not against it. Pitch it in a brushpile and pop it hard and the sinker will separate from the tube and let it spiral down to the bottom, repeat a couple times and move on to the next flip.

For smaller tubes, I most always use a jighead 1/8 oz jighead and spinning tackle for more of a open water presentation. The only time I use the HP hook on a small tube is when I am sight-fishing for bedding bass, and I use a very small internal weight then.....not a slip weight. Any other time I am fishing other plastics such as worms or lizards I use Gama or Owner EWG hooks.

2) Line.....sure, different types of line are more sensitive. And braid is definitly the most as it has no stretch but I never use it myself and always use mono. Learn not to rely on always being able to feel the strike.......become a line watcher. Watch where the line enters the water and jerk anytime you see it twitch. This is sometimes hard for a lot of people to do because they leave to much slack in a lure when it is falling and can not see the line jump this way. The best way to get a feel for this is to fish a worm or jig about 20 feet deep under a blacklight at night with flourescent line. You hardly ever feel a fish with mono at that depth due to it's stretch and will easily see the line jump with the blacklight. Learn that feel and then apply it to line watching in the daytime and you will detect more strikes.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (deerhunter10, Snake, zippy, Rubberduck270, bbuck14, TAFKAP, 3 invisible) and 92 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85051 Topics
1027654 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.