Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#825452 - 07/17/08 09:25 AM RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore)
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Been on vacation this week. Spent a few days in North Carolina Mountains with the family... did all the tourism stuff... rafted Nantahala

... mined for rubies and emeralds, visited Biltmore,

... trout fished with a guide one day (awesome scenery - few fish)

... and gambled away more than I should have at Harrah's in Cherokee.

Needed a fishing fix when I got home... hit the water with my friend Dickey Porter Wednesday AM. We found some boat-paddle-sized white bass.

Then we chased spots for a while. Fun morning.

Wednesday afternoon I had the honor of hosting UTC Basketball Coach John Shulman and his son Tanner chasing cats. Coach Shulman said Tanner spotted the fishing trip I donated to a UTC Athletics Dept. Fundraising Auction, and he wanted it bad. I "scouted" for about an hour before they got there and only caught three. But we really lucked out because just about the time we started fishing, they cranked up all four generators hard. The fresh water turned the fish on big time and for about an hour we smoked 'em!

Not real big fish, but Coach Shulman and Tanner were amazed at the numbers.

The heavy current made it sort of tough fishing, but they were both up to the task. Obviously they're big time sports guys so they made a bit of a competition out of it! It was nip & tuck for a while, until Coach put his rod down and just let Tanner take over.

It was a great afternoon. I got an interesting glimpse at the life of a Coach. He's in the middle of recruiting and setting schedules, and had to take several phone calls in the 3 hours we were out for staff guidance and negotiations. He says it's tough to get quality time with his three sons, but he makes it happen. He's a good man.

Tomorrow I'm going striper fishing on Watts Bar. It's been a long time since I've chased stripers. Can't wait... and that is why life is good and gettin' better everyday!
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#825510 - 07/17/08 10:08 AM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: rsimms]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

#825520 - 07/17/08 10:20 AM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: buckhorn40]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

#825524 - 07/17/08 10:26 AM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: RUGER]
JohnnyBond
Cat Man
Non-Typical

Loc:

#825660 - 07/17/08 11:44 AM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: JohnnyBond]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

RSimms not trying to hijack your thread but I noticed the HI Vis line on that spinning reel. Do you use it on all your reels? I still use the Stren Hi Vis gold line and love it. I have been tying on a flouracarbon leader but Im not sure it matters. I like to watch my line cause a lot times in these small creeks and rivers you see your line move before you feel something. Just curious.

#825682 - 07/17/08 11:55 AM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: go_okfishin]
Bertman
16 Point

Loc: TREESTAND

#825724 - 07/17/08 12:20 PM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: ]
A.Hall
Formerly "Spoon"
Non-Typical

Loc: Bartlett, TN

#825786 - 07/17/08 01:13 PM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: go_okfishin]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Originally Posted By: gookfishin
RSimms not trying to hijack your thread but I noticed the HI Vis line on that spinning reel. Do you use it on all your reels? I still use the Stren Hi Vis gold line and love it. I have been tying on a flouracarbon leader but Im not sure it matters. I like to watch my line cause a lot times in these small creeks and rivers you see your line move before you feel something. Just curious.

I always use high-viz when crappie fishing. I don't normally use it when bass fishing, etc., however my partner yesterday uses it for virtually everything. And yes, it can make a HUGE difference. Yesterday the spotted bass, which are normally very aggressive, were quite mealy-mouthed. On numerous occasions you would just see a line twitch or strange subtle movement without ever feeling a "tunk." I don't care what you're fishing for... if you can't see your line very well you are at a huge disadvantage. Under most light conditions I can see my regular mono fine, but in high glare or choppy water situations, I do sometimes have a hard time seeing it well... and wish I had high-viz loaded up.

On a sidenote, I've been reading up lately on the relatively new "red lines." At first I thought it was dumb... based on previous research I'd read that said bass see lures best that are in the "red spectrum." However, the research I read about recently convinced me that in ultra-clear water situations, the red lines do "disappear" better. In murky water situations, probably not advisable but when I return to Dale Hollow I might be trying the red line.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#825865 - 07/17/08 01:52 PM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: rsimms]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Thanks for the input. I too am confused about the red disappearing. Red lures red hooks but red line disappears? I have confidence in the hi vis and it sure makes tying a knot a lot easier.
Just a sidenote. People have a tendecy to look at spool of line which looks awful bright but when you just look at the line I cant imagine it making a difference to a fish. Could be wrong but I catch just as many fish as my buddies who use clear or low vis green.
Didnt mean to take away from your great pictures.

Edited by gookfishin (07/17/08 01:57 PM)

#825955 - 07/17/08 02:48 PM Re: RSimms Vacation & Fishing Report (Pics galore) [Re: go_okfishin]
strutandrut
Non-Typical

Loc: signal mountain

Why do I carry a gun? Because cops weigh too much to carry and are difficult to conceal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (wtbh236, BONE-HEAD, vanleerbuckbuster, Rebel, 2 invisible) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.