Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#821642 - 07/14/08 08:47 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: username]
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

Buckblaster My son actually fished it he was just making short jerks.

Username I am actually fishing Barkley near dover.

#822369 - 07/15/08 10:04 AM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: Buckblaster]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

#822918 - 07/15/08 05:19 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: 8up]
Dr. Dickel
12 Point

Loc: Hockins County

Originally Posted By: 8up

I am confused, where were the big fish? Whats the best way to fish if I see this happening again?

Ron
More than likely, the bigger fish were deeper than the more aggressive smaller ones. This is actually pretty common with summer schooling fish. Jigging spoons or swimming jigs and plastics near the thermocline depth is usually the ticket with tightly schooled fish. You want heavy weighted baits that fall fast through the pods of smaller ones to keep them from agrivating you. If it is a larger, spread out congregation of them, then a deep running crankbait will work good also. If Barkley is like lakes here in East TN, the thermocline this time of year is usually 18-25 feet deep and this is where the larger ones will hang due to the higher concentration of oxygen (there will be bait at that depth also).

#823286 - 07/15/08 09:09 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: 8up]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Originally Posted By: 8up

Username I am actually fishing Barkley near dover.

Doh!

#823293 - 07/15/08 09:15 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: username]
username
10 Point

Dr. Dickel,

Are you speaking of suspended fish? If so, I'd like to know something. In your experience, have you noticed the schools relating to contours & structure or just bait. Your probably going to say both. I could use a little clinic on suspended fish. I know they tend to be a little more picky but I'm sure they can be caught with the proper presentation. Thats something I'd really like to learn how to do. I've got the electronics for it, just need to put them to good use.

#824407 - 07/16/08 04:12 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: username]
Dr. Dickel
12 Point

Yes, just as he mentioned catching them in 40 feet of water on the surface.......they can't be related to structure like that can they ;\) ? Just ribbing you, dude. But most of the time this time of year, schools of bass are actually suspended in open water along the thermocline depth out in the middle of the lake, coves, and creeks. They are following schools of baitfish that are roaming out there also and every now and then when those bass decide to go on a feeding frenzy and bustin the pods of shad up excitedly, the shad come to the surface to escape the on-slaught and the more aggressive bass follow them while they are packed together tightly to feed on them. This is why schooling, surface-feeding fish just last in short spurts.....the shad realize they have gone as far up in the water column they can and can no longer escape and decide to scatter out. The schools of bass wait for them to bunch up again 10-15 minutes later and push them again. This is why you see them up for a few minutes and then down for a while. The smaller fish are usually more aggressive and on top and the larger,lazy ones just wait for a injured morsel to fall to them.

Relating to a distinct contour change is something they do quite often if the can find a sharp drop next to a flat about the same depth the thermocline is. They will suspend up to a couple of hundred feet horizontally from it and then move towards it if they feel they can pin the bait against something. But there are a lot of times that they just follow the shad in a 100 of water over a bare bottom and just suspend at a certain depth. They are relying on two things this time of year.....oxygen and food. Cover is not that important now as the bait feels safer suspended over deep water so the bass have to go to them if they want to eat.

Don't let nobody kid you though, suspended fish are the hardest to catch because they are not relating to anything stationary. Pay attention to your electronics and don't skimp out on a good one when it comes to finding bait. Finding schools of bait is always important all year long, but is always the most absolute in the hottest water temps of the summer and the coldest of the winter.

The trick to fishing for bass related to a thermocline is not to fish below them. They will go lateral or up for a bait, but seldom down. You are wasting your time fishing on the bottom in 30 feet of water and 99% of the fish staying at the thermocline in 20 feet starving for oxygen. The only time you will get bit in this instance is when they hit a bait on the initial fall as it passes downward by them.

Boy, that was long-winded, huh?

#824708 - 07/16/08 08:17 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: Dr. Dickel]
username
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Dr. Dickel

Not long enough if you ask me! \:\) Keep it coming.

Tell me this, how do I determine the depth of the thermocline? Can you do it with graph sensitivity levels? I have a Humminbird 997C w/ side imaging sonar capabilities. It has absolutely helped me catch more fish by locating deep structure.

#825046 - 07/16/08 11:44 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: username]
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

Thanks for all the info Dr., when are you available for lessons ? \:\)

#826543 - 07/17/08 09:06 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: username]
bonekelektr
6 Point

Loc: Sullivan Gardens

Try a spoon or swim a bucktail under the "schoolies".........

#826641 - 07/17/08 09:57 PM Re: schooling fish ? [Re: username]
Dr. Dickel
12 Point

Originally Posted By: username
 Originally Posted By: Dr. Dickel

Not long enough if you ask me! \:\) Keep it coming.

Tell me this, how do I determine the depth of the thermocline? Can you do it with graph sensitivity levels? I have a Humminbird 997C w/ side imaging sonar capabilities. It has absolutely helped me catch more fish by locating deep structure.

You got it.....barring swimming down yourself and feeling the temperature change, a good graph with more pixels to show detail better and adjusting the sensitivity is the way to do it. Get the sensitivity right and you can tell the congregation of bait and fish in a 3-5 foot area of depth in the water column. This is where the thermocline exists for that body of water once the temperature exceeds about 85 degrees. When the sensitivity is just right, you can jig a spoon up and down under your transducer and see it on your screen.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
76 registered (JAY B, tc 308, Vermin93, rem7-08, ETNyates, LOWland, 9 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85169 Topics
1029334 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.231 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.