Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#823963 - 07/16/08 10:12 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
 Originally Posted By: gil1
Too friggin' hard, long hours, need too much patience, and I'd want to fish. But mostly, I couldn't take the pressure of having to produce day in and day out.

Is that also why you're not married? \:o \:\)

[running for cover]

bd

That statement right there is epic!!!! Top 10 posts of all time.
Really funny! Really true!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#824199 - 07/16/08 01:56 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Frankly, the few times I've hired a guide out [wait....once...], I WANTED him casting and fishing. he let me have the front, and I respected that, but I'm not necessarily to catch fish there ON THAT DAY...you can't control local weather and water conditions and no guide, even the best, can totally offset those daily shifts and the way fish react...I"m there for knowledge. You can explain to someone how to hit a baseball or shoot a layup, but until you SEE it, it probaly won't make sense. I think folks who say "I don't want my guide fishing" are fools because they're not t hinking about the knowledge they could gain from simply watching their guide work, let alone jsut having another lure in the water to experiment with different variables...no they just have their ego to attend to and whether or not they get "outfished"...I hate that mentality. Not a competition...a learning process. If you DON'T let your guide fish alongside you, you know the guy who's wellbeing depends on how well he fishes and who spends several hundred days on that body of water A YEAR [well...most of them...a great deal of them I'm finding are hacks with resumes built up like a high schooler trying to get into college on extra-curriculars...], you're cheating yourself out of half the money you spent. Period.
#824265 - 07/16/08 02:52 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Tubakka]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

well fellars i never meant for what i said to sound like only rich folks hired guides.theres nothing wrong with being a guide or hiring 1,i still think its a great way to learn a river or a lake or teckniques,i could get a buddy to run the boat but he wouldnt be able to help me learn what i was after thats where somebody with knowlege comes into play.i also dont try to beat them or anybody else at their own game,i would lose.if the guide didnt know diddley how long will he have work ? cant just make sandwiches & paddle the boat all the time \:\) mike243

#824318 - 07/16/08 03:31 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: mike243]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

content Online
I hired one one time, and it was the best 300 dollars I ever spent!!
I tried to hire Richard Simms last year, but he was all booked for the day I wanted.

#825339 - 07/17/08 08:38 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have been on both ends. I want my guide fishing. One of us has to find fish. One of us needs to know what is working at that time on that day. Once we are on fish, I'll put my rod down if I am guiding.

As with fishing with Simms and other good guides, I take fish off, handle the net etc. I don't do any live bait fishing so I don't bait hooks. But I do tie lures on if I can see the client doesn't know a knot from a not. Depending on the lure, I may or may not charge for lost ones.

My boat includes cold drinks and light snacks. I do not, will not clean fish kept. My day is 8 hours-four in the morning, four in the afternoon-midday is spent at the lodge bream fishing, if they desire but I don't own a watch. I do not gaurantee we will catch fish and my fee is the same no matter what happens. It is a lot. If the client can't boat 8-10 bass over four pounds, something is wrong.

Today, I only guide in one place and I know we will catch fish. My duties end when the client leaves the boat. They start when he/she steps in. Most of my clients have some experience, some are dang good. The ones that can cast accurately, get one type of fishing. The ones that can't get another. A guy that can't cast into a hoola hoop at 30 yards has no business fishing in the thick stuff. And I can't teach him to cast in one day. I also have no business going in the thick stuff and catching 10, five pounders in 20 casts, while he stays hung up in the trees. So we do what he can do, even if it means less fish.

I have no doubt I could book solid guiding on the Caney Fork. I get at least three calls a week, now. I have no desire to work that hard again. I have had 23 clients so far this year. I had 23 very happy, well tipping clients.

I believe I'll just keep doing what I am doing. However, I am thinking of buying some chicken breast futures and moving to Lake Chichimauga or whatever it is. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#825341 - 07/17/08 08:39 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I would simply ask if the guide in question knows Richard Simms.
\:D

#827996 - 07/18/08 10:09 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: RUGER]
7mm08
12 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Richard Simms must be good, don't know him, but I do know Capt. Hook has caught enough trout to fill the Auburn Stadium, probably not Neyland, but at least the Auburn Stadium....Sorry, I can't remember the name of that one.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/18/08 10:09 PM)

#828454 - 07/19/08 01:10 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: 7mm08]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

No. Simms is not good. He is the best. Any guide who will turn his head and bait a hook when a good lookin lady pees out of the back of the boat, is the best.

Seriously. I have fished with some of the "great ones" but not Buck and Simms is as good as they come. Whatever he charges, he is worth twice that.

And I don't even like him.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
109 registered (UTGrad, 7mmMag, daduckman, FlintvilleMonster, TreeTop, John3, 6 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93192 Topics
1088481 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.123 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.