Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#821771 - 07/14/08 09:44 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: trealtree]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Originally Posted By: trealtree
Are there any carp fishing guides around?

Yes there are... call fly south and they will book you a trip to fish for carp no problem. 615-251-6199

#821780 - 07/14/08 09:49 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I wouldnt use a guide around here. I was just curious. Im sure they get some business from Europeans.

#821788 - 07/14/08 09:52 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: fordman

Yes there are... call fly south and they will book you a trip to fish for carp no problem. 615-251-6199

Who carp guides besides Mauries?

Originally Posted By: gil1
I like a guide that will teach me a lot. I don't want to know his honeyholes. I know it's counterproductive for the guide to make me not need him anymore, but I usually get a guide the first day or fist trip so I won't need one the second day. Teach me how to be self sufficient. You can laugh, make fun, and tease, but if you start yelling at me, the pressure will just make me worse. Yes, be firm and not patronizing. If you try to take the fly out of my fish, you're going overboard.

I do like a boat and guide that are pretty squared away, and I also don't like surprises. You want me to pay you for the flies I lost, then bite me. Lunch isn't included, then you should have told me. I expect a boat to be stocked with everything we'll need and to be clean.

Some folks want a totally different experience, so guides have to be mindreaders or they should ask you what your needs are. If the client is too stupid to tell you he just wants to catch trophies and doesn't care about numbers, then it's his fault.

Do you practice catch and release?
How long have you been doing this?
Will you teach me as we go?
Will you be fishing too?

I would only take you if you signed an aggreement that stated you would not, no matter how big, try to catch a carp let alone put the slimy bastage in my boat!!!

When I'm going just for fun (not tournament), I won't even touch the nasty-azz things. They don't even make it into the boat.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#821803 - 07/14/08 10:00 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Who carp guides besides Mauries?

I like a guide that will teach me a lot. I don't want to know his honeyholes. I know it's counterproductive for the guide to make me not need him anymore, but I usually get a guide the first day or fist trip so I won't need one the second day. Teach me how to be self sufficient. You can laugh, make fun, and tease, but if you start yelling at me, the pressure will just make me worse. Yes, be firm and not patronizing. If you try to take the fly out of my fish, you're going overboard.

I do like a boat and guide that are pretty squared away, and I also don't like surprises. You want me to pay you for the flies I lost, then bite me. Lunch isn't included, then you should have told me. I expect a boat to be stocked with everything we'll need and to be clean.

Some folks want a totally different experience, so guides have to be mindreaders or they should ask you what your needs are. If the client is too stupid to tell you he just wants to catch trophies and doesn't care about numbers, then it's his fault.

Do you practice catch and release?
How long have you been doing this?
Will you teach me as we go?
Will you be fishing too?

I would only take you if you signed an aggreement that stated you would not, no matter how big, try to catch a carp let alone put the slimy bastage in my boat!!!

When I'm going just for fun (not tournament), I won't even touch the nasty-azz things. They don't even make it into the boat.

If I am correct both Mauries and Monroe will take carp clients. I cant say to much about carp fishing as I was tying skip jack flies and thinking about cold days at the steam plant earlier today!

#821920 - 07/14/08 11:14 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Assuming I had been referred to a group of guides by some friends, and I was simply picking between them for the best selection...

I'd ask:

1) how many years have you been guiding on this lake/river

2) Do you have a website I could go to for general information, pictures of successful trips, and personal testamonies?

3) What can I expect to catch and experience, on average, during a trip using your service?

If they can give you a good, confident answer to #3 on the list, then you know that you're dealing with someone who guides enough to know that type of information off the top of his head. That says a lot.

#821987 - 07/15/08 12:17 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Crosshairy]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

Do you fish your brook trout baits with flourocarbon or regular leader material? Lip hooked or collar hooked?

Only time I have used a guide in fresh water was to help my wife get pointers from someone other than her husband in fly fishing. Ability to teach novices especially women is a real plus. There is more to being a good teacher than knowing how to fish. I think the sentiments above about teaching more than slaying are well stated.

Scrubs

#822013 - 07/15/08 01:42 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: stillinscrubs]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

#1. References

#2. References

#3. References

Phone numbers or e-mails.

#822597 - 07/15/08 12:20 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Obviously I'm interested in this thread... I am curious on the "guide fishing" issue. I often do fish. However, it is rare that I actually reel a fish in... and virtually never if there is a youngster aboard. I always figure more baits in the water, more chances for more hook-ups. When I hook a fish however, unless I know it's a very small fish, I always hand the rod off to a youngster, or an adult in some cases. Many adults fall into the "I'll hook my own fish, thank you" category... which I understand. But I am surprised at the number of adults who will accept the offer... and I'm glad when they do. They're paying for it... and I'm simply fishing to try and increase their opportunities to put fish in the boat.

How do folks feel about that?

FYI, I do work from the front of the boat because boat control and positioning is critical in many of my fishing situations. For what it's worth however, as often as not, I'm actually working the boat backwards, drifting downstream with current which actually give the angler in the stern first shot at fish.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#822614 - 07/15/08 12:41 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: rsimms]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I have chartered fishing trips in the Gulf, the ocean and fresh water. I look for a couple of things before I book with them.
Their equipment should in good condition and their boat should be clean and well maintained. This well tell you how much pride they take in their operation.

Big promises are wonderful if they can deliver. I would much rather them be honest with me and say up front, "the runs over for the year", or "we are sort of struggling right now". To me there is nothing worse than getting pumped up over a bunch of "big fish" promises and not even catch a fish. Happened a few times down in Florida. (not Chattanooga).

A guide needs to be patient and willing to coach the less experienced. I don't care if a guide fishes as long as they have proven they are more interested in me and my party catching fish.

#822620 - 07/15/08 12:54 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Kirk]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I've never actually had a guide fish with me, and I've asked several to join in the fun. If I'm paying for it, though, I think I should have the first casting shot (normally, the front of the boat).

Especially in fly fishing, I think it would help me learn something by watching a guide fish. Different types of casts in different situations, watching their casting form, their mending technique, etc. can be invaluable especially for beginners.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (BuckDropper, imograss, BOGS615, sigsupermatch, Tom L, graydw1, 13 invisible) and 164 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93086 Topics
1087863 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.166 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.