Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#821595 - 07/14/08 08:18 PM Those who hire fishing guides
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

What are the most important qualities you look for when hiring a guide? If you could only ask three questions of a potential guide what would they be?
#821606 - 07/14/08 08:24 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
bcunnin1
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro/Knoxville

What kind of guide? Fly fishing or like an Ocean trip?
#821632 - 07/14/08 08:45 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: bcunnin1]
Fordman
12 Point

Lets say fly fishing and lite tackle... freshwater
#821650 - 07/14/08 08:51 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
Cuttin Caller Moderator
Blister
Non-Typical

Loc: tn

Well fly fishing I wouldn't know the first thing about.
So My first question would be can you take someone who has never been never even picked up a fly rod?
Then I would ask, can we do this on one trip I mean will I get the hang of it enough to try to catch a fish.
Then I would ask how long will we be on the water and what do I need to bring?

#821675 - 07/14/08 09:03 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Cuttin Caller]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Depends. if I was to chunk out $300 bucks for a day of fishing it better not include the guide fishing. I saw a show the other day and the "guide" had caught and kept 10 fish BEFORE the client had caught one fish.

Also leave the watch at home. For instance, don't tell me it's a 4 hour guide and then take 45 min to get there by boat, fish 2 1/2 hours, and then 45 min back.

#821691 - 07/14/08 09:08 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: 7mm08]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 7mm08
Depends. if I was to chunk out $300 bucks for a day of fishing it better not include the guide fishing. I saw a show the other day and the "guide" had caught and kept 10 fish BEFORE the client had caught one fish.

Also leave the watch at home. For instance, don't tell me it's a 4 hour guide and then take 45 min to get there by boat, fish 2 1/2 hours, and then 45 min back.

I was wondering if anyone felt that way about the guide fishing. The shop I guide out of does not tolerate their guides fishing. I try hard to not have a rod in my hand at all. Client gets the frint of the boat always that way.

#821698 - 07/14/08 09:11 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: 7mm08]
bcunnin1
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro/Knoxville

If its fly fishing your after which is what I do, I usually ask do you only guide fly fishermen? Which is only because it can be a complicated sport and I like my guys to know what they are doing. I always want them to know a lot more than me, I like to fish with a guide and walk away with a new trick or technique. Plus if I want to fly fish why wouldn't I want a guy who has been taking other fly flingers ahead of me.

I also like a guide who can give you several options. I like to call a guy and say what I am looking for what can you offer. Its good to hear a guide say we can catch more numbers on this river, but the bigger fish will be in this river. Things like that. Along with everything tribeless said.

#821705 - 07/14/08 09:15 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Cuttin Caller]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I like a guide that will teach me a lot. I don't want to know his honeyholes. I know it's counterproductive for the guide to make me not need him anymore, but I usually get a guide the first day or fist trip so I won't need one the second day. Teach me how to be self sufficient. You can laugh, make fun, and tease, but if you start yelling at me, the pressure will just make me worse. Yes, be firm and not patronizing. If you try to take the fly out of my fish, you're going overboard.

I do like a boat and guide that are pretty squared away, and I also don't like surprises. You want me to pay you for the flies I lost, then bite me. Lunch isn't included, then you should have told me. I expect a boat to be stocked with everything we'll need and to be clean.

Some folks want a totally different experience, so guides have to be mindreaders or they should ask you what your needs are. If the client is too stupid to tell you he just wants to catch trophies and doesn't care about numbers, then it's his fault.

Do you practice catch and release?
How long have you been doing this?
Will you teach me as we go?
Will you be fishing too?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#821711 - 07/14/08 09:19 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: gil1
I like a guide that will teach me a lot. I don't want to know his honeyholes. I know it's counterproductive for the guide to make me not need him anymore, but I usually get a guide the first day or fist trip so I won't need one the second day. Teach me how to be self sufficient. You can laugh, make fun, and tease, but if you start yelling at me, the pressure will just make me worse. Yes, be firm and not patronizing. If you try to take the fly out of my fish, you're going overboard.

I do like a boat and guide that are pretty squared away, and I also don't like surprises. You want me to pay you for the flies I lost, then bite me. Lunch isn't included, then you should have told me. I expect a boat to be stocked with everything we'll need and to be clean.

Some folks want a totally different experience, so guides have to be mindreaders or they should ask you what your needs are. If the client is too stupid to tell you he just wants to catch trophies and doesn't care about numbers, then it's his fault.

Do you practice catch and release?
How long have you been doing this?
Will you teach me as we go?
Will you be fishing too?

I would only take you if you signed an aggreement that stated you would not, no matter how big, try to catch a carp let alone put the slimy bastage in my boat!!!

#821756 - 07/14/08 09:39 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Are there any carp fishing guides around?

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Fearless, WhitesCreek, ImThere, rabbit hunter, keystonecop, 2 invisible) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92902 Topics
1085471 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.