Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#821595 - 07/14/08 08:18 PM Those who hire fishing guides
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

What are the most important qualities you look for when hiring a guide? If you could only ask three questions of a potential guide what would they be?
#821606 - 07/14/08 08:24 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
bcunnin1
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro/Knoxville

What kind of guide? Fly fishing or like an Ocean trip?
#821632 - 07/14/08 08:45 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: bcunnin1]
Fordman
12 Point

Lets say fly fishing and lite tackle... freshwater
#821650 - 07/14/08 08:51 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
Cuttin Caller Moderator
Blister
Non-Typical

Loc: tn

Well fly fishing I wouldn't know the first thing about.
So My first question would be can you take someone who has never been never even picked up a fly rod?
Then I would ask, can we do this on one trip I mean will I get the hang of it enough to try to catch a fish.
Then I would ask how long will we be on the water and what do I need to bring?

#821675 - 07/14/08 09:03 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Cuttin Caller]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Depends. if I was to chunk out $300 bucks for a day of fishing it better not include the guide fishing. I saw a show the other day and the "guide" had caught and kept 10 fish BEFORE the client had caught one fish.

Also leave the watch at home. For instance, don't tell me it's a 4 hour guide and then take 45 min to get there by boat, fish 2 1/2 hours, and then 45 min back.

#821691 - 07/14/08 09:08 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: 7mm08]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 7mm08
Depends. if I was to chunk out $300 bucks for a day of fishing it better not include the guide fishing. I saw a show the other day and the "guide" had caught and kept 10 fish BEFORE the client had caught one fish.

Also leave the watch at home. For instance, don't tell me it's a 4 hour guide and then take 45 min to get there by boat, fish 2 1/2 hours, and then 45 min back.

I was wondering if anyone felt that way about the guide fishing. The shop I guide out of does not tolerate their guides fishing. I try hard to not have a rod in my hand at all. Client gets the frint of the boat always that way.

#821698 - 07/14/08 09:11 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: 7mm08]
bcunnin1
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro/Knoxville

If its fly fishing your after which is what I do, I usually ask do you only guide fly fishermen? Which is only because it can be a complicated sport and I like my guys to know what they are doing. I always want them to know a lot more than me, I like to fish with a guide and walk away with a new trick or technique. Plus if I want to fly fish why wouldn't I want a guy who has been taking other fly flingers ahead of me.

I also like a guide who can give you several options. I like to call a guy and say what I am looking for what can you offer. Its good to hear a guide say we can catch more numbers on this river, but the bigger fish will be in this river. Things like that. Along with everything tribeless said.

#821705 - 07/14/08 09:15 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Cuttin Caller]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I like a guide that will teach me a lot. I don't want to know his honeyholes. I know it's counterproductive for the guide to make me not need him anymore, but I usually get a guide the first day or fist trip so I won't need one the second day. Teach me how to be self sufficient. You can laugh, make fun, and tease, but if you start yelling at me, the pressure will just make me worse. Yes, be firm and not patronizing. If you try to take the fly out of my fish, you're going overboard.

I do like a boat and guide that are pretty squared away, and I also don't like surprises. You want me to pay you for the flies I lost, then bite me. Lunch isn't included, then you should have told me. I expect a boat to be stocked with everything we'll need and to be clean.

Some folks want a totally different experience, so guides have to be mindreaders or they should ask you what your needs are. If the client is too stupid to tell you he just wants to catch trophies and doesn't care about numbers, then it's his fault.

Do you practice catch and release?
How long have you been doing this?
Will you teach me as we go?
Will you be fishing too?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#821711 - 07/14/08 09:19 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: gil1
I like a guide that will teach me a lot. I don't want to know his honeyholes. I know it's counterproductive for the guide to make me not need him anymore, but I usually get a guide the first day or fist trip so I won't need one the second day. Teach me how to be self sufficient. You can laugh, make fun, and tease, but if you start yelling at me, the pressure will just make me worse. Yes, be firm and not patronizing. If you try to take the fly out of my fish, you're going overboard.

I do like a boat and guide that are pretty squared away, and I also don't like surprises. You want me to pay you for the flies I lost, then bite me. Lunch isn't included, then you should have told me. I expect a boat to be stocked with everything we'll need and to be clean.

Some folks want a totally different experience, so guides have to be mindreaders or they should ask you what your needs are. If the client is too stupid to tell you he just wants to catch trophies and doesn't care about numbers, then it's his fault.

Will you be fishing too?

I would only take you if you signed an aggreement that stated you would not, no matter how big, try to catch a carp let alone put the slimy bastage in my boat!!!

#821756 - 07/14/08 09:39 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Are there any carp fishing guides around?

#821771 - 07/14/08 09:44 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: trealtree]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: trealtree

Yes there are... call fly south and they will book you a trip to fish for carp no problem. 615-251-6199

#821780 - 07/14/08 09:49 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I wouldnt use a guide around here. I was just curious. Im sure they get some business from Europeans.

#821788 - 07/14/08 09:52 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: fordman

Yes there are... call fly south and they will book you a trip to fish for carp no problem. 615-251-6199

Who carp guides besides Mauries?

Will you be fishing too?

I would only take you if you signed an aggreement that stated you would not, no matter how big, try to catch a carp let alone put the slimy bastage in my boat!!!

When I'm going just for fun (not tournament), I won't even touch the nasty-azz things. They don't even make it into the boat.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#821803 - 07/14/08 10:00 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

Who carp guides besides Mauries?

Will you be fishing too?

When I'm going just for fun (not tournament), I won't even touch the nasty-azz things. They don't even make it into the boat.

If I am correct both Mauries and Monroe will take carp clients. I cant say to much about carp fishing as I was tying skip jack flies and thinking about cold days at the steam plant earlier today!

#821920 - 07/14/08 11:14 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Assuming I had been referred to a group of guides by some friends, and I was simply picking between them for the best selection...

I'd ask:

1) how many years have you been guiding on this lake/river

2) Do you have a website I could go to for general information, pictures of successful trips, and personal testamonies?

3) What can I expect to catch and experience, on average, during a trip using your service?

If they can give you a good, confident answer to #3 on the list, then you know that you're dealing with someone who guides enough to know that type of information off the top of his head. That says a lot.

#821987 - 07/15/08 12:17 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Crosshairy]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

Do you fish your brook trout baits with flourocarbon or regular leader material? Lip hooked or collar hooked?

Only time I have used a guide in fresh water was to help my wife get pointers from someone other than her husband in fly fishing. Ability to teach novices especially women is a real plus. There is more to being a good teacher than knowing how to fish. I think the sentiments above about teaching more than slaying are well stated.

Scrubs

#822013 - 07/15/08 01:42 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: stillinscrubs]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

#1. References

#2. References

#3. References

Phone numbers or e-mails.

#822597 - 07/15/08 12:20 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Obviously I'm interested in this thread... I am curious on the "guide fishing" issue. I often do fish. However, it is rare that I actually reel a fish in... and virtually never if there is a youngster aboard. I always figure more baits in the water, more chances for more hook-ups. When I hook a fish however, unless I know it's a very small fish, I always hand the rod off to a youngster, or an adult in some cases. Many adults fall into the "I'll hook my own fish, thank you" category... which I understand. But I am surprised at the number of adults who will accept the offer... and I'm glad when they do. They're paying for it... and I'm simply fishing to try and increase their opportunities to put fish in the boat.

How do folks feel about that?

FYI, I do work from the front of the boat because boat control and positioning is critical in many of my fishing situations. For what it's worth however, as often as not, I'm actually working the boat backwards, drifting downstream with current which actually give the angler in the stern first shot at fish.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#822614 - 07/15/08 12:41 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: rsimms]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I have chartered fishing trips in the Gulf, the ocean and fresh water. I look for a couple of things before I book with them.
Their equipment should in good condition and their boat should be clean and well maintained. This well tell you how much pride they take in their operation.

Big promises are wonderful if they can deliver. I would much rather them be honest with me and say up front, "the runs over for the year", or "we are sort of struggling right now". To me there is nothing worse than getting pumped up over a bunch of "big fish" promises and not even catch a fish. Happened a few times down in Florida. (not Chattanooga).

A guide needs to be patient and willing to coach the less experienced. I don't care if a guide fishes as long as they have proven they are more interested in me and my party catching fish.

#822620 - 07/15/08 12:54 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Kirk]
gil1
12 Point

I've never actually had a guide fish with me, and I've asked several to join in the fun. If I'm paying for it, though, I think I should have the first casting shot (normally, the front of the boat).

Especially in fly fishing, I think it would help me learn something by watching a guide fish. Different types of casts in different situations, watching their casting form, their mending technique, etc. can be invaluable especially for beginners.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#822679 - 07/15/08 01:53 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

Its a funy thing, I have had clients insist I fish and others whom would have given birth had I picked up a rod. However I would and am considering booking a michigan guide who is also a great spey caster and yes i will insist he fishes so I can see what a good spey cast looks like.
I am fortunate and my trollong motor is remote controlled so I can run it from anywhere and given I guide fly fisherman I always give them the larger(front) casting deck.

#823227 - 07/15/08 08:37 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

what it boils down to is somebody has more money than time or expertease,you want somebody that knows the area,the habits of what your after,or their method for catching fish or scouting/hunting,its a fair trade,we learm more quicker by monkey see monkey do.a few folks dont want to learn just put me on the fish or get 1 in my line of fire,its all good as long as its legal.been on 1 guided boat for rockfish,been out deep sea fishing on party boats several times,i understand that it is all seek & understand if no game is taken.i do have expectaions that i should at least see some game.wished i was rich $ \:\) been lucky in love so im not complaining...too much \:\) mike243

#823400 - 07/15/08 10:26 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Fordman]
7mm08
10 Point

RE: Guided Carp trips.
http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/carp_fly_fishing_report.aspx

I'll do it for 1/2 that price out of my flats boat!!!!

Gil and Capt.Hook....you boys need to order a hat!

#823409 - 07/15/08 10:34 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: 7mm08]
gil1
12 Point

Love the hat! I think I'm buying one.

I could never guide. Not that I'm even capable, but if I were, I'd hate it. Too friggin' hard, long hours, need too much patience, and I'd want to fish. But mostly, I couldn't take the pressure of having to produce day in and day out.

I "guide" a bunch of people carp fishing and a few for smallies and trout. Knowing you aren't getting a dime takes the sting out of having a mediocre fishing outing. I just couldn't cut the mustard and would never want to try. Hats off to those who have the stomach for it.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#823412 - 07/15/08 10:44 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: 7mm08]
gil1
12 Point

Love the hat! I think I'm buying one.

I could never guide. Not that I'm even capable, but if I were, I'd hate it. Too friggin' hard, long hours, need too much patience, and I'd want to fish. But mostly, I couldn't take the pressure of having to produce day in and day out.

I "guide" a bunch of people carp fishing and a few for smallies and trout. Knowing you aren't getting a dime takes the sting out of having a mediocre fishing outing. I just couldn't cut the mustard and would never want to try. Hats off to those who have the stomach for it.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#823568 - 07/16/08 04:04 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
mike243
16 Point

C.H you have a funny way of looking at stuff,what i said was 100% true or why else would somebody pay a "guide" what are you getting for your money if you allready know where the fish hold or what the will hit ?.get a grip i never said anybody was over loaded with money,its like any thing else you pay somebody for a service you a-dont know how to do. b-you dont want to do or c-you dont have time to do.you take lots of stuff offensive around here.looks like you have lots of issues & im going to leave you with them.mike243

#823739 - 07/16/08 07:42 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

I have been keeping my mouth shut about Captain Hook for a while now, but you come off as a total rear end just about every time your fingers touch your key board. I can only imagine that you would be the same way in person. If your business is guiding, I wouldnt let anybody know what your business is named, word of mouth and world of forum could ruin your business with an attitude like yours.

#823909 - 07/16/08 09:27 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
Fordman
12 Point

Dammit fellas I got a little red when I read Mikes reply. After thinking about it and having a glass of stump water I got his point. YES your paying for a service. NO its not always people who have loads of money. Case in point if a person likes to fish a out of a drift boat, or a certain river is not outboard motor friendly, its convenient to hire a guide and let them handle the logistics.
#823943 - 07/16/08 09:55 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Too friggin' hard, long hours, need too much patience, and I'd want to fish. But mostly, I couldn't take the pressure of having to produce day in and day out.

Is that also why you're not married? \:o \:\)

[running for cover]

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (07/16/08 09:56 AM)

#823961 - 07/16/08 10:12 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: B.D.]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I have a boat and I can find and catch fish. I use Richard Simms a couple of times a year just for the experience and ease of it. I don't have to worry with the boat and keeping the rods and reels ready. I just get to fish and catch lots of fish. Wesley Parrish said something funny on our last trip with Simms. Richard
handed Wesley (and me and my son) rods that were already baited.
When Wesley caught a fish Richard grabbed the fish and was taking it off the hook. Wesley said "I feel like a dude at one of them dude ranches".

#823963 - 07/16/08 10:12 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
Too friggin' hard, long hours, need too much patience, and I'd want to fish. But mostly, I couldn't take the pressure of having to produce day in and day out.

Is that also why you're not married? \:o \:\)

[running for cover]

bd

That statement right there is epic!!!! Top 10 posts of all time.
Really funny! Really true!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#824199 - 07/16/08 01:56 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: gil1]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Frankly, the few times I've hired a guide out [wait....once...], I WANTED him casting and fishing. he let me have the front, and I respected that, but I'm not necessarily to catch fish there ON THAT DAY...you can't control local weather and water conditions and no guide, even the best, can totally offset those daily shifts and the way fish react...I"m there for knowledge. You can explain to someone how to hit a baseball or shoot a layup, but until you SEE it, it probaly won't make sense. I think folks who say "I don't want my guide fishing" are fools because they're not t hinking about the knowledge they could gain from simply watching their guide work, let alone jsut having another lure in the water to experiment with different variables...no they just have their ego to attend to and whether or not they get "outfished"...I hate that mentality. Not a competition...a learning process. If you DON'T let your guide fish alongside you, you know the guy who's wellbeing depends on how well he fishes and who spends several hundred days on that body of water A YEAR [well...most of them...a great deal of them I'm finding are hacks with resumes built up like a high schooler trying to get into college on extra-curriculars...], you're cheating yourself out of half the money you spent. Period.
#824265 - 07/16/08 02:52 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: Tubakka]
mike243
16 Point

well fellars i never meant for what i said to sound like only rich folks hired guides.theres nothing wrong with being a guide or hiring 1,i still think its a great way to learn a river or a lake or teckniques,i could get a buddy to run the boat but he wouldnt be able to help me learn what i was after thats where somebody with knowlege comes into play.i also dont try to beat them or anybody else at their own game,i would lose.if the guide didnt know diddley how long will he have work ? cant just make sandwiches & paddle the boat all the time \:\) mike243

#824318 - 07/16/08 03:31 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: mike243]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

I hired one one time, and it was the best 300 dollars I ever spent!!
I tried to hire Richard Simms last year, but he was all booked for the day I wanted.

#825339 - 07/17/08 08:38 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have been on both ends. I want my guide fishing. One of us has to find fish. One of us needs to know what is working at that time on that day. Once we are on fish, I'll put my rod down if I am guiding.

As with fishing with Simms and other good guides, I take fish off, handle the net etc. I don't do any live bait fishing so I don't bait hooks. But I do tie lures on if I can see the client doesn't know a knot from a not. Depending on the lure, I may or may not charge for lost ones.

My boat includes cold drinks and light snacks. I do not, will not clean fish kept. My day is 8 hours-four in the morning, four in the afternoon-midday is spent at the lodge bream fishing, if they desire but I don't own a watch. I do not gaurantee we will catch fish and my fee is the same no matter what happens. It is a lot. If the client can't boat 8-10 bass over four pounds, something is wrong.

Today, I only guide in one place and I know we will catch fish. My duties end when the client leaves the boat. They start when he/she steps in. Most of my clients have some experience, some are dang good. The ones that can cast accurately, get one type of fishing. The ones that can't get another. A guy that can't cast into a hoola hoop at 30 yards has no business fishing in the thick stuff. And I can't teach him to cast in one day. I also have no business going in the thick stuff and catching 10, five pounders in 20 casts, while he stays hung up in the trees. So we do what he can do, even if it means less fish.

I have no doubt I could book solid guiding on the Caney Fork. I get at least three calls a week, now. I have no desire to work that hard again. I have had 23 clients so far this year. I had 23 very happy, well tipping clients.

I believe I'll just keep doing what I am doing. However, I am thinking of buying some chicken breast futures and moving to Lake Chichimauga or whatever it is. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#825341 - 07/17/08 08:39 AM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: ]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I would simply ask if the guide in question knows Richard Simms.
\:D

#827996 - 07/18/08 10:09 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: RUGER]
7mm08
10 Point

Richard Simms must be good, don't know him, but I do know Capt. Hook has caught enough trout to fill the Auburn Stadium, probably not Neyland, but at least the Auburn Stadium....Sorry, I can't remember the name of that one.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/18/08 10:09 PM)

#828454 - 07/19/08 01:10 PM Re: Those who hire fishing guides [Re: 7mm08]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

No. Simms is not good. He is the best. Any guide who will turn his head and bait a hook when a good lookin lady pees out of the back of the boat, is the best.

Seriously. I have fished with some of the "great ones" but not Buck and Simms is as good as they come. Whatever he charges, he is worth twice that.

And I don't even like him.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (tanelson, Nealmeally, jbranham63, mossyhorns300, rabbit hunter, muzzy76, 6 invisible) and 153 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89271 Topics
1044137 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.246 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.