Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#813563 - 07/09/08 09:47 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Oh sure, when bugle mouth becomes a trophy, the flyrod guys have to exalt one more level. Juste because they are hard to catch with a fly switch, now they are some revered fish.

But you are too late.

In Yourope, they have been revered for a very long time. But of course, over there, they use 22-foot poles and maggots for bait.

I wish I had a picture of it. About 40 years ago, on a trotline, I caught a carp that I could not lift into the boat. I finally had to cut him in half and got half of him/her in the boat. As a result, I went off half-carped.

(Sometimes I just hate me \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#813992 - 07/09/08 02:36 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

It's a terrible double standard. While the bass doesn't hold a candle to the noble carp in Europe, we don't give carp their proper respect over here. If Angelina Jolie gets props for big, juicy lips, why doesn't the carp?
It's all good - the less people fishing for them, the more opportunities for true anglers. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#814091 - 07/09/08 03:41 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I have the first two verses and the chorus done. It is called, "Who would kiss the Lips that Sucked in the Magoots?" Sub title is, "Would you put Gil's Cork in Your Mouth?"

#814177 - 07/09/08 04:27 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Oh my Gawd! Just spit up Mountain Dew all over the computer screen. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#814206 - 07/09/08 04:49 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
All right Dunigan - For a guy who's been talkin' trash about trash fishin' for months, you've been awful quiet. It's carp time, this is the honorable carp thread, and not a peep from you? It's time for you to man up and start telling stories! Lies are perfectly acceptable in this thread.

I'm busy fishing. Or at least looking for fish. It seems a minimum flow restriction was instituted on a certain tailwater (that is not the Caney) and put a special flat under too much water. I've got a handful of fish to put on the board tomorrow, but not what I ought to have.

I just hope I can turn this thing around, lest I face the unbearable shame of having been beaten by Gil Lackey.

In the "stories" department, I went fishing last weekend near a popular walking trail, and I anchored my gheenoe while I waded upstream out of view to take a shot at a fish (and take a little bathroom break). Some lady walking by saw my empty boat, assumed I had fallen out of it and drowned, and was in the process of calling the police to come search for my body when I ambled back into view. Fun times.

bd

#814246 - 07/09/08 05:16 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I had a similar experice with my now totaled motor scooter. I hear they were even looking up in the trees.

#814704 - 07/09/08 10:03 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
 Originally Posted By: gil1
All right Dunigan - For a guy who's been talkin' trash about trash fishin' for months, you've been awful quiet. It's carp time, this is the honorable carp thread, and not a peep from you? It's time for you to man up and start telling stories! Lies are perfectly acceptable in this thread.

I'm busy fishing. Or at least looking for fish. It seems a minimum flow restriction was instituted on a certain tailwater (that is not the Caney) and put a special flat under too much water. I've got a handful of fish to put on the board tomorrow, but not what I ought to have.

I just hope I can turn this thing around, lest I face the unbearable shame of having been beaten by Gil Lackey.

In the "stories" department, I went fishing last weekend near a popular walking trail, and I anchored my gheenoe while I waded upstream out of view to take a shot at a fish (and take a little bathroom break). Some lady walking by saw my empty boat, assumed I had fallen out of it and drowned, and was in the process of calling the police to come search for my body when I ambled back into view. Fun times.

bd

Lord, if you had actually drowned, you know nobody would have called for help! \:D

You should be used to the unbearable shame of being beaten by me by now! \:D

I'm going to have to change tactics. My favorite haunts were too muddy before the rain even came. I'm going to have to try that same stream you like. I have another option or two, but they are longshots. Is there a cicada hatch right now in Zimbabwe or anywhere else?

I'm putting mine on the board tomorrow too. See ya at the shop.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#816135 - 07/10/08 09:58 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

Just decided I'm going to try to video my next carp catch for all you boys and girls out there that have never seen how much fun it can be to catch a big ole ugly monster on a fly rod. Catching a carp is pretty much mahem even with both arms and no camera, but it will be a complete cluster trying to hold a camera while reeling one in. I'm sure I'll lose the fish, but I'm going to try. I feel the pressure to produce a hit carp movie now.

Edited by gil1 (07/10/08 10:14 PM)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#816788 - 07/11/08 01:45 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

I knew it was a mistake to tell you where I fish. Me and my big mouth. \:\)

I dropped off my fish pics for Week 1 at the shop earlier today. A couple days later than planned, but it doesn't really matter since I haven't caught any more in the interim.

Looks like I'm yapping at your heels in 3rd place. I lost one at the boat last weekend that would have got me past you. \:\) Things are tough this year though. My "drum central" hotspot has dried up. Not sure why - two years ago there were fish working just about any night I went out, but now I haven't seen a one.

I have to work at least part of the day Saturday, which promises to erode my lead even more. Maybe I can catch up with you next Sunday...

bd

#816932 - 07/11/08 03:27 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

I have to work all weekend anyway, so I won't be pulling ahead. I can't fish my favorite spots on weekends anyway because the boat traffic muddies the water too much to see the fish. Everything is Yoohoo now anyway, so you're looking pretty good. If I can get off, I'm ging to try again next Wednesday - wading the Harpeth.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
95 registered (stickler, LA man, PRB2, Pic IN the Casa, RUGER77MAN, catman529, 6 invisible) and 213 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99571 Topics
1171371 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.071 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.