Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#804020 - 07/01/08 10:09 AM Destin Fishing?
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Wife and I are heading down to Destin in August & I'd like to do a little surf fishing while she sits in the sun.....we'll actually be in Miramar Beach between Destin & the Sandestin resort. Is surf fishing even worth the trouble? What about licenses? What sort of setup would I need?
#804061 - 07/01/08 10:39 AM Re: Destin Fishing? [Re: ]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

I was born and raised in Destin....the beach surfing is ok depending on where you go. the best and easiest place to go and set up is on the east jetty (which you can see from the destin bridge). you can catch alot of different types of fish off it (spanish, grouper, kings, pompano ect...) We usually use shrimp, crabs, cigar minnows or buble rigs if the spanish are running. you can go with heavy tackle or medium depenind on what you are fishing for. You will def need a license though. feel free to PM me and i can give you some other info on some places that may also be decent but the jetties are by far the easiest to get to and catch some fish

John 3:16

#804146 - 07/01/08 11:28 AM Re: Destin Fishing? [Re: REN]
Unregistered

I've never really surf fished....what sort of equipment would be ideal? Are the jetties crowded?
#804193 - 07/01/08 11:55 AM Re: Destin Fishing? [Re: ]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Muddy Creek
I've never really surf fished....what sort of equipment would be ideal? Are the jetties crowded?

all depends on the day. I have been there a lot of times and no one is there and other times seems there are quite a few people there. trick with the jetties is you have to be careful getting out the the end as you are walking across rocks and they can be tricky if you are not paying attention. It seems to be best if you go when the tide is coming in or going out...not as good if you catch the in between stage.

equipment all depends on what you are fishing for. I have used a heavy action bait caster for spanish and pompino as well as other smaller species...and have a big saltwater casting rod and reel casted out at the same time for cats, kings, grouper, jacks, sheepshead, sometimes cobia, redfish as well as someother larger species.

you can call the fort walton beach pier and get a fish report of what they are catching and usually the same bite is happening at the jetties. If you are fishing from the beach then i would recomend using shrimp or if you can find them sand flea's (fairly hard to find but AWSOME bait)

you def want some good line if you fish from the jetties as you will come in contact with alot of rocks. pompano jigs, bubble rigs and spoons can be effective but live bait is always the best. its a tad late in the year for pompano but you never know what you will catch off those rocks.

#804210 - 07/01/08 12:03 PM Re: Destin Fishing? [Re: REN]
Unregistered

Thanks for the help....I'll see what the budget will allow for & plan accordingly. Realistically, I'd LOVE to do some deep sea fishing, but see above regarding budget. Any suggested outfits for going deep?
#804223 - 07/01/08 12:07 PM Re: Destin Fishing? [Re: REN]
REN
12 Point

Now if you are just wanting to do some fishing while the wife lays out then Miramar Beach isnt that bad of a place to do it depending on what actual beach you are on. The hurricans did a number on the sand bars over the years so your best bet is to use sand fleas of shrimp and wade out to cast past the first main sand bar....walk back in and just wait. you would be suprised as to what swims that close to shore. Cobia are running pretty good right now so with shrimp that will be a possiblitiy...Jacks run that close to shore as well which are always fun to catch. If you go that route be sure to have a rod you can cast pretty far but stong enough to fight a 20lb fish. I never got heavy into actual beach casting but have done if a few times and know a few people that do it a bit. I will try and haller at some of them tonight and see what the have been catching this time of year.

#804236 - 07/01/08 12:12 PM Re: Destin Fishing? [Re: ]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Muddy Creek
Thanks for the help....I'll see what the budget will allow for & plan accordingly. Realistically, I'd LOVE to do some deep sea fishing, but see above regarding budget. Any suggested outfits for going deep?

I know a couple buddies that work on the boats and captin a few...this is not a real cheap time of year so you should expect about 150$ for a 1/2 day trip min.Late august is a bit cheaper unless you plan on labor day weekend then it goes back up. if you want to go out on a big charter ( 20-30 other people) it may be a bit cheaper but IMO not quite as fun. As i said above i will try and talk to some of my buddies tonight and see what is going on down there.

#804314 - 07/01/08 12:57 PM Re: Destin Fishing? [Re: REN]
Unregistered

Thanks for your help, Bama.....we'll be there the week of August 18th, staying just to the east of where 2378 intersects back into 98.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (harley 2008, Prowler, Tall, TN Larry, turk870, papaw, 2 invisible) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93197 Topics
1088545 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.1 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.