Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#801254 - 06/29/08 12:01 PM Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Yes, it's that time of year you've been eagerly anticipating... \:D

Fly South Fly Shop in Nashville is hosting its annual fly carpin' tournament. The epic test of mettle and will runs through the entire month of July. All artificail flies, no scents, no chum, no foul-hooked fish, no private water. Fish can be entered from any public water in the world. The fabled and storied carpin' honor system applies.

Just measure and photo your fish with the numbered decal you are given, and the tournament council of sages will use a formula to calculate weight.

A modest $15 entrance fee gets you invited to the annual carp banquet (date to be announced) where the Grand Pooba Mac Daddy Carp Stud will be crowned with the carp jacket and ugly trophy. Although true fly carpers compete solely for redneck pride, there are some outstanding prizes awarded for biggest fish, most total weight, smallest fish, ugliest fish, etc.

Only the brightest and brawniest of real men and women need apply. Come test your will against the noblest beast of the holy waters - I dare ya! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#801352 - 06/29/08 03:14 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

Too bad im not much of a fly fisherman, got some killer plces around here.

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#801523 - 06/29/08 06:40 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
I already got it won \:\)
I didn't know buffalo were legal in a carp tourney. They aren't even carp.

True, but much like my love life, the essence of the carp tournament is all about ugly inclusion. \:D Are you going to sign up for the tournament?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#801982 - 06/29/08 11:07 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: gil1
I already got it won \:\)
I didn't know buffalo were legal in a carp tourney. They aren't even carp.

True, but much like my love life, the essence of the carp tournament is all about ugly inclusion. \:D Are you going to sign up for the tournament?

I thought I might give you all a fighting chance \:D

I don't have access to Grass Carp and they usually win it, if it were just common carp I would join in. See we have this restaurant Calhouns on the River which chums them up daily, and lets just say 30 lbs. is fairly easy to obtain. Plus we just came off of Cicada Mania, but our biggest to the boga was 16 lbs.

Yeah, we've got a few restaurants like that around here, and I've caught some HUGE carp there, but those aren't legal for the tournament. No fed fish. That means pellets, biscuits, chum, any scent whatsoever - all illegal. I guess that's why it's pretty hard to catch them. Usually about half the competitors don't weigh a single fish in for the entire month.

Actually, grass carp haven't won it in 3 years since private water was outlawed (because of grass carp in farm ponds). It is very difficult to find big grass carp in public waters around here. There are plenty of them in private ponds, but it's not like they're in public water like Priest or Old Hickory. If the cicadas were still happening, that would easily take first prize.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#802056 - 06/30/08 12:03 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
spitndrum
Team TLBB Woodpile Boys
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

#802181 - 06/30/08 07:39 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: spitndrum]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

The photos are obviously fake. You do not have a flyrod in your mouth.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#802381 - 06/30/08 09:25 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
The photos are obviously fake. You do not have a flyrod in your mouth.

Just for you, BW. Never tried to get the red eye out of a carp picture before.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#802441 - 06/30/08 10:04 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Now that photo is real. I'm not sure can get the redeye out of a carp. It has something to do with their dietary habits. You see they will eat almost anything including...

Never mind. Tndoe will delete it. BTW- I certainly hope you realsed the fish and allowed him/her to grow to true trophy size. I hope you didn't kill it. \:\)

(Yes, I'm feeling much better.)

#802879 - 06/30/08 03:26 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

When Carp Sorensen first entered the bull riding at Hawley, MN, a lot of people laughed at him. I guess some still are. I don't know, we never saw him again.

However, Buffalo Bill Sorensen lasted for three or four weeks.

Their cousin Mi Asis Sorensen just drove the truck and sold dry flies and split bamboo swizzsle sticks.

#804877 - 07/01/08 08:29 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

My buddy Sonny is already on the board. It ate a stonefly pattern on the Harpeth River - 5.46 lbs.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (BamaProud, Toxophilite Phil, rastubbs, 1 good shot, duckriver, jbird, 1 invisible) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94018 Topics
1098247 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.112 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.