Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#801254 - 06/29/08 12:01 PM Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Yes, it's that time of year you've been eagerly anticipating... \:D

Fly South Fly Shop in Nashville is hosting its annual fly carpin' tournament. The epic test of mettle and will runs through the entire month of July. All artificail flies, no scents, no chum, no foul-hooked fish, no private water. Fish can be entered from any public water in the world. The fabled and storied carpin' honor system applies.

Just measure and photo your fish with the numbered decal you are given, and the tournament council of sages will use a formula to calculate weight.

A modest $15 entrance fee gets you invited to the annual carp banquet (date to be announced) where the Grand Pooba Mac Daddy Carp Stud will be crowned with the carp jacket and ugly trophy. Although true fly carpers compete solely for redneck pride, there are some outstanding prizes awarded for biggest fish, most total weight, smallest fish, ugliest fish, etc.

Only the brightest and brawniest of real men and women need apply. Come test your will against the noblest beast of the holy waters - I dare ya! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#801352 - 06/29/08 03:14 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

Too bad im not much of a fly fisherman, got some killer plces around here.

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#801523 - 06/29/08 06:40 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
I already got it won \:\)
I didn't know buffalo were legal in a carp tourney. They aren't even carp.

True, but much like my love life, the essence of the carp tournament is all about ugly inclusion. \:D Are you going to sign up for the tournament?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#801982 - 06/29/08 11:07 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: gil1
I already got it won \:\)
I didn't know buffalo were legal in a carp tourney. They aren't even carp.

True, but much like my love life, the essence of the carp tournament is all about ugly inclusion. \:D Are you going to sign up for the tournament?

I thought I might give you all a fighting chance \:D

I don't have access to Grass Carp and they usually win it, if it were just common carp I would join in. See we have this restaurant Calhouns on the River which chums them up daily, and lets just say 30 lbs. is fairly easy to obtain. Plus we just came off of Cicada Mania, but our biggest to the boga was 16 lbs.

Yeah, we've got a few restaurants like that around here, and I've caught some HUGE carp there, but those aren't legal for the tournament. No fed fish. That means pellets, biscuits, chum, any scent whatsoever - all illegal. I guess that's why it's pretty hard to catch them. Usually about half the competitors don't weigh a single fish in for the entire month.

Actually, grass carp haven't won it in 3 years since private water was outlawed (because of grass carp in farm ponds). It is very difficult to find big grass carp in public waters around here. There are plenty of them in private ponds, but it's not like they're in public water like Priest or Old Hickory. If the cicadas were still happening, that would easily take first prize.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#802056 - 06/30/08 12:03 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
spitndrum
Supreme Hunting Outdoors Pro Staff
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

#802181 - 06/30/08 07:39 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: spitndrum]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

The photos are obviously fake. You do not have a flyrod in your mouth.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#802381 - 06/30/08 09:25 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
The photos are obviously fake. You do not have a flyrod in your mouth.

Just for you, BW. Never tried to get the red eye out of a carp picture before.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#802441 - 06/30/08 10:04 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Now that photo is real. I'm not sure can get the redeye out of a carp. It has something to do with their dietary habits. You see they will eat almost anything including...

Never mind. Tndoe will delete it. BTW- I certainly hope you realsed the fish and allowed him/her to grow to true trophy size. I hope you didn't kill it. \:\)

(Yes, I'm feeling much better.)

#802879 - 06/30/08 03:26 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

When Carp Sorensen first entered the bull riding at Hawley, MN, a lot of people laughed at him. I guess some still are. I don't know, we never saw him again.

However, Buffalo Bill Sorensen lasted for three or four weeks.

Their cousin Mi Asis Sorensen just drove the truck and sold dry flies and split bamboo swizzsle sticks.

#804877 - 07/01/08 08:29 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

My buddy Sonny is already on the board. It ate a stonefly pattern on the Harpeth River - 5.46 lbs.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#808149 - 07/04/08 11:39 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

I'm on the board!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#808152 - 07/04/08 11:53 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Which one is the carp?
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#808197 - 07/04/08 12:35 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

That picture is great, especially the slime coated scale imprint on your shirt \:D Ah the good times with carp.

Let me see what I have on this puter to show...
That aint no slime coated scale imprint on his shirt! gil1 is part carp, and those are the scales from his abdomen showing thru his wet tee shirt.

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#808260 - 07/04/08 03:11 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: 4onaside]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Gil- If you can tie a fly to look like four kernels of corn, I can put you on a winner.

#808261 - 07/04/08 03:17 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
m_allison71
8 Point

Loc: Castalian Springs, TN

Gil,
I would like to try this carp on the fly thing. What is the best way to go about it. I've got a suitable rod, I just can't seem to catch them.

Mike

#808324 - 07/04/08 05:02 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Gil- If you can tie a fly to look like four kernels of corn, I can put you on a winner.

I actually have one of these flies. I won a box of Rainy's carp flies, and this concoction was in it. Now as long as the carp eat corn "naturally" (like run-off from an agricultural field), those fish would be tournament legal. If the carp are used to eating corn because somebody feeds them corn, that constitutes a "fed" fish.

Under most circumstances, a true carp man frowns upon this fly. It's a bit like shooting hens off the roost out your car window with a rifle. I've never been accused of being a purist at anything, though. \:D I'd fish for them outside the tournament like that any day.

Rainy's Carp Flies

Edited by gil1 (07/04/08 05:09 PM)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#808325 - 07/04/08 05:07 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: m_allison71]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: m_allison71
Gil,
I would like to try this carp on the fly thing. What is the best way to go about it. I've got a suitable rod, I just can't seem to catch them.

Mike

They are very difficult to catch even if you know what you are doing. PM me, and I'll shoot you my phone number to answer any questions I can and to get you started on the right track. In the mean time, read the article in the below link. Good luck!

Everything You Need To Know About Carp Fly Fishing in one Article by a Very Talented Writer

Edited by gil1 (07/04/08 05:08 PM)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#808335 - 07/04/08 05:34 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Gil- They aren't being fed if that is what you are asking. The only corn they eat or even see for that matter is on a hook.

#808376 - 07/04/08 08:07 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Gil- They aren't being fed if that is what you are asking. The only corn they eat or even see for that matter is on a hook.

This is a gray area I cannot in good conscience wade into for tournament carpin', but I think it would be a ball to do just for fun.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#813479 - 07/09/08 08:50 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

All right Dunigan - For a guy who's been talkin' trash about trash fishin' for months, you've been awful quiet. It's carp time, this is the honorable carp thread, and not a peep from you? It's time for you to man up and start telling stories! Lies are perfectly acceptable in this thread.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#813563 - 07/09/08 09:47 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Oh sure, when bugle mouth becomes a trophy, the flyrod guys have to exalt one more level. Juste because they are hard to catch with a fly switch, now they are some revered fish.

But you are too late.

In Yourope, they have been revered for a very long time. But of course, over there, they use 22-foot poles and maggots for bait.

I wish I had a picture of it. About 40 years ago, on a trotline, I caught a carp that I could not lift into the boat. I finally had to cut him in half and got half of him/her in the boat. As a result, I went off half-carped.

(Sometimes I just hate me \:\)

#813992 - 07/09/08 02:36 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

It's a terrible double standard. While the bass doesn't hold a candle to the noble carp in Europe, we don't give carp their proper respect over here. If Angelina Jolie gets props for big, juicy lips, why doesn't the carp?
It's all good - the less people fishing for them, the more opportunities for true anglers. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#814091 - 07/09/08 03:41 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I have the first two verses and the chorus done. It is called, "Who would kiss the Lips that Sucked in the Magoots?" Sub title is, "Would you put Gil's Cork in Your Mouth?"

#814177 - 07/09/08 04:27 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Oh my Gawd! Just spit up Mountain Dew all over the computer screen. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#814206 - 07/09/08 04:49 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

All right Dunigan - For a guy who's been talkin' trash about trash fishin' for months, you've been awful quiet. It's carp time, this is the honorable carp thread, and not a peep from you? It's time for you to man up and start telling stories! Lies are perfectly acceptable in this thread.

I'm busy fishing. Or at least looking for fish. It seems a minimum flow restriction was instituted on a certain tailwater (that is not the Caney) and put a special flat under too much water. I've got a handful of fish to put on the board tomorrow, but not what I ought to have.

I just hope I can turn this thing around, lest I face the unbearable shame of having been beaten by Gil Lackey.

In the "stories" department, I went fishing last weekend near a popular walking trail, and I anchored my gheenoe while I waded upstream out of view to take a shot at a fish (and take a little bathroom break). Some lady walking by saw my empty boat, assumed I had fallen out of it and drowned, and was in the process of calling the police to come search for my body when I ambled back into view. Fun times.

bd

#814246 - 07/09/08 05:16 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I had a similar experice with my now totaled motor scooter. I hear they were even looking up in the trees.

#814704 - 07/09/08 10:03 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan

I'm busy fishing. Or at least looking for fish. It seems a minimum flow restriction was instituted on a certain tailwater (that is not the Caney) and put a special flat under too much water. I've got a handful of fish to put on the board tomorrow, but not what I ought to have.

I just hope I can turn this thing around, lest I face the unbearable shame of having been beaten by Gil Lackey.

In the "stories" department, I went fishing last weekend near a popular walking trail, and I anchored my gheenoe while I waded upstream out of view to take a shot at a fish (and take a little bathroom break). Some lady walking by saw my empty boat, assumed I had fallen out of it and drowned, and was in the process of calling the police to come search for my body when I ambled back into view. Fun times.

bd

Lord, if you had actually drowned, you know nobody would have called for help! \:D

You should be used to the unbearable shame of being beaten by me by now! \:D

I'm going to have to change tactics. My favorite haunts were too muddy before the rain even came. I'm going to have to try that same stream you like. I have another option or two, but they are longshots. Is there a cicada hatch right now in Zimbabwe or anywhere else?

I'm putting mine on the board tomorrow too. See ya at the shop.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#816135 - 07/10/08 09:58 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

Just decided I'm going to try to video my next carp catch for all you boys and girls out there that have never seen how much fun it can be to catch a big ole ugly monster on a fly rod. Catching a carp is pretty much mahem even with both arms and no camera, but it will be a complete cluster trying to hold a camera while reeling one in. I'm sure I'll lose the fish, but I'm going to try. I feel the pressure to produce a hit carp movie now.

Edited by gil1 (07/10/08 10:14 PM)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#816788 - 07/11/08 01:45 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

I knew it was a mistake to tell you where I fish. Me and my big mouth. \:\)

I dropped off my fish pics for Week 1 at the shop earlier today. A couple days later than planned, but it doesn't really matter since I haven't caught any more in the interim.

Looks like I'm yapping at your heels in 3rd place. I lost one at the boat last weekend that would have got me past you. \:\) Things are tough this year though. My "drum central" hotspot has dried up. Not sure why - two years ago there were fish working just about any night I went out, but now I haven't seen a one.

I have to work at least part of the day Saturday, which promises to erode my lead even more. Maybe I can catch up with you next Sunday...

bd

#816932 - 07/11/08 03:27 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

I have to work all weekend anyway, so I won't be pulling ahead. I can't fish my favorite spots on weekends anyway because the boat traffic muddies the water too much to see the fish. Everything is Yoohoo now anyway, so you're looking pretty good. If I can get off, I'm ging to try again next Wednesday - wading the Harpeth.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#816958 - 07/11/08 03:46 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Gil- Too many anyways. Check your repetetive.

#817084 - 07/11/08 06:16 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

I have to work all weekend anyway, so I won't be pulling ahead. I can't fish my favorite spots on weekends anyway because the boat traffic muddies the water too much to see the fish. Everything is Yoohoo now anyway, so you're looking pretty good. If I can get off, I'm ging to try again next Wednesday - wading the Harpeth.

Gil- Too many anyways. Check your repetetive.

EDITS...

I have to work all weekend on my reduncancy, my repititiveness, and my saying the same thing over and over again, so I won't be pulling ahead. I can't fish my favorite spots on weekends in my pink Wooly Bugger pajamas with the footsies because the boat traffic muddies the water too much to see the fish. Everything is Yoohoo now (including BW's unfortunate BMs), so you're looking pretty good. If I can get off, I'm going to try again next Wednesday - wading the Harpeth.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#817225 - 07/11/08 07:57 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Whatever, dude. Monroe told me you'd been fishing below Priest Dam in the Stones, so don't be trying to pull a fast one about the Caney. I have enough lawyers in my family to know none of you can be trusted. \:D Sandbagging, misdirection, win at all costs - have you no shame? \:D

I'll probably lose, but I'll show you and anyone else where, how, and on what fly every time.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#817374 - 07/11/08 09:13 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

I know of a certain TWRA lake that harbors some monster grass carp.... I think Gil and Brian need to met me take them there.... and let the best trash fisherman win.
#817461 - 07/11/08 09:53 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

I know of a creek that has some dang big ones, that will eat flies on the right day, always love a good tussle with the Amur.

From all your carp tussling stories, you sound like you should have signed up for a shot at the illustrious redneckin' title.

Originally Posted By: fordman
I know of a certain TWRA lake that harbors some monster grass carp.... I think Gil and Brian need to met me take them there.... and let the best trash fisherman win.

You know I've never even fished there? Probably should.
I saw you were in the tournament. Are you on the board yet? Let's hear some lies.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#817467 - 07/11/08 09:58 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

not on yet,,,, you wanna hit that lake next week?
#817522 - 07/11/08 10:39 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Love to go. Like I said, I probably couldn't even find it - never been.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#817817 - 07/12/08 09:19 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
Fordman
12 Point

How does wednesday or thursday sound?
#817890 - 07/12/08 11:18 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: fordman
How does wednesday or thursday sound?

PM sent

Dr. Saxton Pope

#817947 - 07/12/08 12:45 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Oh God! I'm going to puke. A play date to go catch carp. Ralllllph!

I bet one of them ends eating cork.

#818098 - 07/12/08 04:22 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Oh God! I'm going to puke. A play date to go catch carp. Ralllllph!

I bet one of them ends eating cork.

All this eating cork talk from you BW, and I'm starting to think you are just jealous. Despite society's biases against cork suckers, I bet it would be liberating for you to suck cork. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#822710 - 07/15/08 02:37 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Whatever, dude. Monroe told me you'd been fishing below Priest Dam in the Stones, so don't be trying to pull a fast one about the Caney.

I knew it was a mistake to tell Monroe where I fish. Me and my big mouth. \:\)

bd

#823359 - 07/15/08 10:05 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Whatever, dude. Monroe told me you'd been fishing below Priest Dam in the Stones, so don't be trying to pull a fast one about the Caney.

I knew it was a mistake to tell Monroe where I fish. Me and my big mouth. \:\)

bd

Now that I think about it, it might have been Nix. Hang them all! Doubt I'll get to the Caney or the Stones anyway, although I may have to do some Caney troutin' soon. How's the carpin', man? I'm going to swing by Fly South tomorrow and see what you and everyone else caught since the weekend.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#823952 - 07/16/08 10:01 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

I haven't checked in last weekend's fish yet. I have to be downtown Thursday for court anyway, so I'll probably drop by Fly South around 10:00 that morning.

bd

#833163 - 07/22/08 07:06 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

I received my Carp Unlimited hat in the mail today. I love it!

Dr. Saxton Pope

#833165 - 07/22/08 07:08 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

As if that weren't enough, LOL at what it says on the back!!!! Man, there will be hot neckid babes knockin' at my door any minute!!! \:D \:D \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#834702 - 07/23/08 02:49 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

You need to pair that up with a t-shirt for the Gar Anglers Sporting Society (G.A.S.S.).

bd

#834743 - 07/23/08 03:19 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Wish I'd thought of that. Man, just wearing this hat makes me so good looking! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#836356 - 07/24/08 03:00 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

I just checked in my fish from last weekend. I'm only trailing you in total weight by about 3 pounds now.

You aren't holding back on me, are you? If we're competing toe to toe this weekend as we go into the final stretch, this could be as exciting as anything the BassMasters has ever done.

I bet everyone on the board can feel the excitement now!

bd

#836815 - 07/24/08 08:53 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

No, not holding back. I went to the Stones today to check out your honey-hole. Dude, that water isn't even worthy of a carp! Muddy, shallow, stagnant. Heck, every time I saw a fish it was doing backflips trying to get away from me. The boat even without the trolling motor going had these fish spooky, and it was too muddy to see anything. My hats off to your ability to catch these fish, but I got the heyall out of there and hit the main river.

Hook - I think my biggest 2 are both just over 13, but I may have caught one today bigger than that. Or did I? I think I only have one more day to fish, but you better get to work, Brian.

I got tired of carping and caught some little spots on spinning gear to boost my confidence. Nothing over a pound.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#837509 - 07/25/08 10:28 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: ]
B.D.
8 Point

Quote:
What is the front runner weighing in at now?

For total weight, I think Gil's at 68-point-something and I'm at 66-point-something. So actually, I'm trailing by about two pounds and change.

The Carp Tournament is kind of "backward" from a typical bass tournament format because the top honors really go to big fish, with total weight getting the secondary prize. I don't think I'm going to catch Gil on big fish though, because most of the fish in my spots tend to be 10 lbs or less.

I think I've got a decent shot at total weight though, unless this rain keeps up and my creeks are all muddy tomorrow.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (07/25/08 10:28 AM)

#837572 - 07/25/08 11:06 AM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Yeah, in all honesty, I think the neckid women should be awarded to the total weight winner. That's the true best fisherman, IMO. You could just weigh in one big fish and win the whole tournament, and that's not an accurate measure of a true carp stud.

Yeah, I was hoping I could hold you off on total weight with one more good trip, but this rain run-off may leave me completely SOL. Of course, it may leave you SOL too.

May the biggest redneck win. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#837812 - 07/25/08 01:55 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

When all this competition is over, I'd love to go carp fishing with you some time and see how you're getting those big Cumberland fish to eat with any consistency. All I get from them is refusals.

Of course, I'm missing the trout a bit, so I might be in withdrawals by August.

bd

#837820 - 07/25/08 02:01 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

I got sick of carp and went atroutin' on the Caney on Saturday. With the boat traffic, I should have stayed home. I got sick of carp yesterday and pulled out the spinning rod.

I get refusals on about 19 of every perfect opportunities/casts. There are just a lot more fish. No trick to it that I know of, but I'll gladly take you.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#840907 - 07/27/08 09:29 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
gil1
12 Point

Get to work Dunigan. Only a few days left.
Lost a bigger one than this. Totally blew it.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#841779 - 07/28/08 01:23 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

I'm done. I know when I'm beat. I fished hard this weekend and only added one carp to my totals, and he's about a 21 incher. I saw a ton of fish, but for some reason they were all in "suspended animation" - hundreds of big, sleeping carp everywhere, and not a single fish with a tail up or even cruising. If I'd been bow fishing, it would have been a slaughter, because I could practically walk up and smack them with my rod before they'd move.

The smallmouth fishing was awesome, and in between casts to non-feeding carp, I had the two best fly fishing days for smallmouth I've ever had. They don't count though. I also caught a 42 inch gar, which is my biggest to date on a flyrod, but no count there either.

You beat me fair and square.

bd

#841798 - 07/28/08 01:38 PM Re: Annual Carp on the Fly Tournament [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

A buddy of mine calls those lounging carp "pot smokers" cause they just sit there. Bad comparison, though, cause smokin' weed makes you want to eat everything. Or so I've been told. \:D

I ain't buying that type of congenial surrender from a lawyer. Especially you! \:D What kind of 40 lb. brute do you have up your sleeve?

On the Cumby? I can't buy a smallie on the Cumberland right now, mostly because the water is so stagnant. Almost all spots unless they generate.

That's a big ole gar! I blew it with a big gar the other day. Freaked out, and Bill Danced him fo sho. I got so excited I ripped the rope out of his mouth before he could really get a piece of it.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Nooga Hunter, TEXAS, tanker179, CAW) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.