Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#788115 - 06/19/08 04:52 PM scopes under 200
renegade50
16 Point

Loc: tn

looking at scopes
burris fullfeild II 3-9x40, seems to have all the bells and whistles that the others dont 191 bucks new
also can put good set of zee rings on it.
has a nice plain no nonsense look to it
good eye releif big exit pupil #s for less critical up down and left right eye releif
also they claim 95% light transmission
they have steel to steel contacts on the adjustmnets where all the other brands seem to have steel to brass adjustments

nikon buckmaster 3-9x40 refurbished cost 139, brand new 199
not a big fan of jackie whats his name, and it has gold lettereing all over it i dont really care for eyereleif and exit pupil are not that great either

bushnell 3200 3-9x40and the size of the eyepeice is huge and i have looked thru this scope series before and the picture is clear edge to edge but the image is not flat it seems like to me, which disturbs the reticle centering i think at times in the picture parellax not so good??????????
eye relief and exit pupil stuff again a issue, scopes biggest selling point seems to be rain gaurd which is not a big thing to me, never seemed to have problems keeping my lense,s dry or not getting fogged with flip up caps and just a little bit of attention to the weather and how i carry a gun.

weaver v9 series technical data seems to be vague just the ad stuff

nikon buckmaster 4x40 fixed power
weaver 4x38 fixed power

kinda tossing around the idea of fixed powers
eye releif and exit pupil issues again

and the weaver is an unknown to me in this day and age , i know they used to make good scopes back in the 70, and early 80,s

who makes them simmons/meade now ???? cant find any technical data on weaver scopes at all other than ad stuff

kinda leaning towards burris full feild II series

the scope is gonna go on a 20 gauge ultra slug hunter with the 1 1/2 pd weight bar taken out of the butt stock that a 14 yr old girl is gonna shoot so eye releif is a big thing
it had a bushnell banner dusk and dawn 1.5 - 4.5 x32 on it and that scope went south aint woth a crap the elevation and windage adjustments are crap now after about a grand total of 50 rounds put through the gun. the scope held zero last year and my daughter had no issues with it other than the whole weight of the set up and then i took that weight bar out of it and went and shot it this last weekend with 4 different brands of ammo playing around and after about 6 rounds the scope went kaput and the adjustments went bad
so the shear and recoill from the gun being a pound and ahalf lighter did in the scope obviously
the bases and rings are not the issue....
casue i mounted this scope on my pellet rifle when i got home just to make sure and the adjustments where crap on that too.
would not square the target for anything on that either...

anyways before any one starts telling me about high end scopes this a 225 dollar gun and that is about what i want to spend on it.

the lupy riflemen scopes, vx1, and vx2 are not my idea of a lupy scope at all...
dont like them

i have a vari-xIII 2.5-8 X 36 on my mod 70ot6 for years so i know all about them.

aint got the money to buy a new vxIII 3.5-10 x 40 and put that on my ot6 and put the 2.5-8 on the daughters slug hunter
wish i could though...

so dose anybody have any good first hand experience shooting any of these scopes and espiacally the burris line on hard recoiling guns??/
any input would be welcomed
the burris sounds like it has the competeion beat for under 200 bucks

also gonna make a trip to bass pro and use the double stock mount display scope thingamabob to compare these models except the weavers dont know if they carry them...

Edited by renegade50 (06/19/08 05:08 PM)

a tax paying worker voting for a democrat
is like a chicken voting for colonel sanders

#788381 - 06/19/08 07:46 PM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: ]
statelineRUT
10 Point

Loc: Michie, TN

I really love my 3200. Fits my eye really good though.

#788531 - 06/19/08 09:50 PM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: statelineRUT]
cleatus2506
4 Point

Loc: Lynchburg, TN

Haven't received it yet, but I just bought a 3X9 fullfield on eBay for 139.99 and free shipping a couple days ago. It's going on a youth 243. According to a couple guys I shoot with these are excellent and are certainly priced right!

#788683 - 06/20/08 02:16 AM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: cleatus2506]
Tiny
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Burris Fullfields 2 are good scopes for the $. The only thing I dislike about them is in the variable power models the whole eyepeice turns while changeing power.This sucks if you wish to use Flip Open covers on one.

Yes Weaver,Redfield,and Simmons scope are made under Meade,mounts are still ATK,Don;t know if ther are any Weavers or Redfield from them yet but there Simmons.

God Answers Prayers Yes No or Not Yet

#788747 - 06/20/08 06:55 AM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: Tiny]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

I'm a fan of the Burris FF II's for a cheap scope. I really like them on my ML with the ballistic plex reticle. That would also be useful on a sluggun.

I think most places are giving away a free gps with the scope currently as well... always nice to have a backup gps.

As an aside, you can get the scope lightly used off the net forums in the $135 price range if that'd be closer to your cup of tea.

#788778 - 06/20/08 07:13 AM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: megalomaniac]
Whelen Man
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Athens, TN, USA

I'm currently using that scope on a 7mm Remington Magnum and a 35 Whelen and have had no complaints. It's a decent, very bright scope for the money. It's a little blurry around the edges at full power but it's also under $200. I really like their model with the marked reticle which both of these are. They also make a compact 2-7 that you might want to look into for the shotgun but I think it runs a little more in price. I don't mind the rotating eyepiece as I've always used the rubber scope covers.

#788944 - 06/20/08 08:45 AM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: Whelen Man]
renegade50
16 Point

Loc: tn

thanks for the advice guys, i gotta drop off cadets at the airport on thursady , so after that im gonna swing by bassproshop and do some comparisons , hopefully one of the sales guys will let me check out scopes on that double mount stock thing they have outside on the side walk, it will tick them off either way cause im gonna check out a bunch of them and then buy what ever i decide on someplace else like midsouth here in clarksville, some of bps markups on some of their scopes are almost laughable
thanks for the advice.

a tax paying worker voting for a democrat
is like a chicken voting for colonel sanders

#789157 - 06/20/08 11:09 AM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: renegade50]
skynimrod
10 Point

Loc: Bellevue Tn

Nikon Prostaff hands down. Cant beat em for the money, accuracy clarity, eye relief, warranty.
BP $130-$150

#789580 - 06/20/08 06:23 PM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: skynimrod]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

I didn't like the looks of the Buckmasters stuff all ove rit, but I had some certificates to a store that was going out of business, and everything was half off, and so I basically got the 3-9X40 Buckmasters for free. I've had no complaints with it whatsoever, but I'm using it on a .270, which has relatively light recoil.

I was leaning towards the Burris before I got the Nikon, but I have no experience with it.

#789735 - 06/20/08 09:44 PM Re: scopes under 200 [Re: jakeway]
skynimrod
10 Point

Loc: Bellevue Tn

Right now I'm looking at the Simmons ProDiamond 1.5 x 5 illuminated for my 444 lever gun. Its considered a shotgun scope. I have never owned a Simmons but for $120 Its worth a shot. I needed optics for my tiring eyes.

Edited by skynimrod (06/20/08 09:56 PM)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
28 registered (leader, varminthunter123, deerhunter10, Master Chief, catman529, tchristian, 2 invisible) and 78 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85655 Topics
1035048 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.249 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.