Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#644108 - 03/03/08 04:54 PM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: deerjackie]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

One person dragging is for the birds. Mostly just lock the deers front legs up and over its head / antlers and then start dragging. I have found no easy way to drag deer by myself.

As others have said, I try to drag mine downhill to the nearest road. Dragging through thickets and over logs and roots is so hard. Or down the bank and back up the bank of a creek, dry or wet, wheeee!

Best advice for one man, "Call a friend."

#647885 - 03/05/08 05:43 PM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: plinker22]
Camp
12 Point

Loc: Rutherford County / Mid TN

I use the safety harness. On bucks put the "tree end" around the antlers. On a doe the easiest is to cut the skin on the back legs between the tendon and bone below where the hocks are, run the end through both slits and pull with back legs towards the front. The legs stay together because of the harness through them (could use rope as well) and the head and front legs don't hang up since they are going backwards. Those tendons (I guess same as our Achilles tendon) are tough and have never ripped on me.
#650000 - 03/06/08 07:33 PM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: Camp]
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

Since the rules changed, I do not drag at all!!! One "big game" cheese cloth bag, a trash bag and one sharp knife all in my pack. Cut'em up and save the sex organs and away we go. A deer looses a lot of weight this way. There is no need to even gut the deer. If its a mountable buck you'll have to be careful and cape it right there.

Very simple and fast...cut slit down middle of back all the way to the tail bone. Then using your hands, peel skin back far enough to get tenderloins (some people call these back straps). Then using your knife and hands (always becareful with sharp knife) skin back the rump facing you and remove the meat. If you want shoulder meat do the same. Now before you flip the deer you will want the prize! Using only your hands push through about 2" in front of the hip bone where it meats the back bone. Using your fingers locate what feels like a round muscle that attaches the hips to the back bone (this is the true "backstraps") there are two of them (one on each side and they are very close together, find one and you will find the other) simply pull gently moving your fingers down as you pull and the meat will pull away from the bone very easily. Now flip and get your other rump meat and shoulder meat. Lastly do not forget sex organs so that you can properly check it in. Bag all meat in the cheese cloth bag and place cheese cloth bag in trash bag. Now throw over shoulder or strap it to your pack. DONE! Only thing left is check in and ice down...

#705549 - 04/16/08 07:18 PM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: squattin dogg]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I have cut a dogwood sapling and slit the hocks on the rear legs and insert the sapling thru both and simply drug it out....
doesnt work well if the deer is really heavy but for bow hunting for does it is a life saver since i hunt without regards to "how far" of a drag i may incur!!

#731172 - 05/08/08 09:46 AM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: spctbone]
BZ911
10 Point

Loc: TN USA

Originally Posted By: spctbone
Use a ski rope handle, same as the glen's deer handle and alot cheaper. Also if you can find an old Heavy duty poncho you can wrap the deer up in that to drag it out, slides better and keeps dirt and leaves out!

I use a glen's deer handle . rope, tarp and duct tape work good too!!!

#737478 - 05/14/08 08:32 AM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: BZ911]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

If I have to drag one very far, it will not get shot unless it has a big built in handle sticking out of his head!

#763872 - 06/02/08 06:42 AM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
GRAMPS
14 Point

Loc: Mount Carmel, TN

I use a cheap plastic snow sled. Works great but I get funny looks waling into the woods with it. Just be careful in steep terrain. Once I was pulling a deer down a steep hill and and the sled picked up speed and hit me on the ankles, puting me on the ground.

#766975 - 06/03/08 07:53 PM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: GRAMPS]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

whole deer, head and cape, 1 trip

#777919 - 06/12/08 09:34 AM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
michiganbowbender
4 Point

Loc: Central Michigan

Cut a 1" slit under the lower jaw up towards the tongue. Gets about 1/3 of the deer off the ground for an easier drag. Tape the two pieces together when not in use.

http://picasaweb.google.com/michiganbowbender

#787900 - 06/19/08 02:25 PM Re: Do you have any one man drag tips ? [Re: michiganbowbender]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

If I can't get to it with a 4 wheeler, I'll go back to the truck for a cooler with wheels and butchering equipment. Like a previous poster stated, pulling all the meat off the carcass and rolling it out in a cooler is simple compared to dragging the entire animal out.
Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (arctic_cat, Methane, govols, bigasports, BamaProud, Poleaxe, 12 invisible) and 147 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88103 Topics
1032060 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.282 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.