Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#640276 - 02/29/08 05:47 PM Re: Decided on the build [Re: Locksley]
Been Huntin
6 Point

Loc: williamson

Originally Posted By: Locksley
 Originally Posted By: mr.big
Locksley,,this thing is gonna throw a 95 gr bullet with a BC over .500 at around 3300 FPS,,its not gonna be a hunting or target rifle,but more like a trick shot plinker,,

hey man you see that hedgeapple out there about 650,,bet ya 20 I can hit it type thing..

A plinker=223 Remington Mini -14 Ruger to me .
Cheap ammo fast shooting but alais not 650 yards away .But of course each man has his dreams each must seak his answers in his own way.
More can be less but less can never be more .

22-250 are nice you could also consider building a ar15 you can make them into anything you want

#640823 - 02/29/08 10:07 PM Re: Decided on the build [Re: BucknBass]
firefox
6 Point

Loc: USA

Mr. Big,
Good decision(handshakes all around)you said you wanted Sendero type bbl and a Sendero II stock...your tax rebate won't be enough to cover it all!! You got some stuff layin round that needs selling to cover your buyin'?

#642929 - 03/02/08 08:17 PM Re: Decided on the build [Re: firefox]
Locksley
16 Point

Loc: Antioch TN

You guys eat your hearts out over this rifle. LOL

6mm Remington Ackley Varminter
A Classic Groundhog Gun That's Deadly Accurate to 900+ yards
Other Guns of the Week >
Richard Franklin, owner of Richard's Custom Rifles in Virginia, is one serious varmint shooter. The farther the critter, the more fun it is to hit. With his favorite long-range caliber, the 6mm Remington Ackley Improved, he regularly nails groundhogs at 600 to 900+ yards. Here is his latest 6mm AI, a BAT-actioned 14-twist that drives a 75-grain V-Max at a blistering 3860 fps. With a classic-styled laminated walnut stock, this flat-shooting, hard-hitting rig delivers "maximum mist effect" even at the longest ranges.
Choice of Caliber--Why the 6mm Rem AI and not a .243 Ackley
When asked why he prefers a 6mm Rem AI over the more common .243 AI, Richard replied: "I've probably built over one hundred 6mm AIs in the last three years. It's been my favorite long-range varmint cartridge for years and years. Over the years I've put together heavier-caliber rifles hoping they would be a better windy-day long-range varminter than the 6mm AI. I have always gone back to the 6mm AI because it is so hard to beat. High velocity with explosive bullets is a varmint hunter's delight (unless he is skinning out the critters). The other school of thought is to use VLD bullets at a much lower velocity (VLDs do no not like to be shot so fast). It is true that the VLDs will reach out at much longer ranges and buck the wind better, but they sometimes pass right through a critter leaving only a pencil-hole. The wounded varmint will then drag away to his den. Prairie dogs are easily killed with the VLDs due to P-dogs' small body mass, but on larger varmints, such as groundhogs and coyotes, you will get a lot of cripples. My favorite 6mm AI is set up with a 14-twist HV barrel shooting the 75gr V-max at 3800+ fps. My second favorite setup is with a 10-twist HV barrel shooting the 87gr V-Maxes. The reason the 75-grainer is my favorite is that 80% of our hogging is at ranges of 800 yards and less and the 75-grainer works its magic at these distances.

Comparing the 6mm Rem AI with the .243 chamberings, I think the 6mm Rem AI comes out on top. The 6mm AI is ALL the cartridge any varmint hunter needs. It will do anything you want to do with varmints, any kind of varmint. And in a 10-twist, it is the best 1000-yd varmint caliber you can get your hands on period. The long-necked 6mm AI will have less throat erosion than the short-necked .243 or .243 AI. The 6mm Rem AI will also hold a little more powder than a .243 Ackley. For long-range varminting, sending light bullets at ultra-high velocities, I just think the 6mm Rem has better case design than a .243 Win. With either case, definitely go with the Ackley version. The 40 shoulder gives you a little more powder capacity and both the shoulder angle and the reduced body taper give you better brass life. A case with no taper won't stretch as much as a tapered case."
Gun Specifications
Richard's rifle features a BAT Machines SV (short) RBRP action with fluted bolt, a Holland recoil lug, and a BAT +20 MOA Weaver-style scope base. Richard prefers the short action for stiffness, but this requires pulling the bolt to remove a loaded round. The stock is Richard's Model 010 in a three-layer laminate--outer layers of fancy walnut with a 5/8" center strip of curly maple. The stock is bedded with Richard's own stainless pillars (with escutchens). These pillars, one of Richard's "signature" features, are hand-made from barrel stock provided by a prominent barrel-maker. The 010 stock has a wide, stable beavertail that extends just rear of the recoil lug area for added strength in that area. The straight comb is as high as it can be made and still be able to insert a bore guide. With some actions a cut has to be made in the top forward part of the comb to allow the bolt to fully open. (Richard's Model 007 has a similar design, but with a shorter beavertail, and a roll-over comb--see photos at bottom of page). The stock has quite a bit of drop from the grip to the toe. Richard tells us, "this is important for the varminter who shoots from bipod and improvised rests. The drop makes it much easier to adjust elevation with your rear bag." The barrel is a 27" Krieger 14-twist, with six lands and grooves. A BAT trigger guard and Jewell trigger round out the component list
For optics, Richard runs an 8-32x56 Nightforce Benchrest scope in Burris Signature Zee Rings. Why would Richard trust a $1250 scope to a relatively inexpensive set of rings? Richard explained: "The Burris Signature is the best ring design ever, in my opinion. I'll never buy another kind of ring. I've never seen 'ring rash' from the Burris Signature rings. A lot of people make money off gimmicks. The Burris Signature rings do the job better than other rings that cost two or three times as much. The Burris nylon inserts align to the scope, so they don't transfer any stress from the mounting system to your action. If conventional rings are not lapped perfectly, when you tighten them up you'll be bending something, and this will transfer stress to your action. Not having to lap the Burris rings is a huge advantage. Additionally, with the +/- inserts you can load 20 MOA or more of elevation into the rings. That way, with a lot of cartridges, you don't really need to spend extra money on an angled scope base."
Load Development and Accuracy
Working up a load for this rifle was simple. Richard tells us: "I've been shooting the 6mm Rem AI for over 15 years. Whenever I build a new one I start with the 75gr Hornady V-Max, seated pretty far into the lands, pushed by 51 grains of Vihtavuori N160, working up to about 52 grains. N160 seems to be perfect for the case, yielding great velocity (about 3860 fps) and excellent accuracy. This gun is a 14-twist, and I normally shoot the 75gr V-Max. As far as I'm concerned, the 75gr V-Max is the best factory bullet you can shoot. It's the most consistent, with a better BC than other brands in the same weight range. But to get a 75 to stabilize in a 14-twist, you have to really boot 'em out there fast--you need to smoke 'em out at 3750 fps or better. The faster you push a 75 the better it's going to shoot.

I've also tried the 65gr V-Max. It gives great velocity, but it doesn't have the BC of the 75-grainer. With the 65, I recommend 47.5 grains of Varget or 47.5 grains of IMR 4064. Both of those loads will push a 65gr V-Max about 4,100 fps. Some 6mm Rem AI shooters prefer to shoot the 87gr V-Max from a 10-twist barrel.The 6mm Rem AI set up with a 10-twist barrel to shoot the 87gr V-Max is about the ultimate long-range varmint caliber one could ever want. With a BC of about .400, the 87gr V-Max is a great performer out past 600 yards where it will surpass the 65gr and 75gr V-Max. It cannot be launched as fast as a 75-grainer. The 87 starts out a little slower but at 1000 yards it is going faster, hits harder and is flatter shooting than the lighter V-Maxes. (Note: the loads mentioned here are all fairly stout; they may be too hot for your rifle and your conditions. ALWAYS START 10% LOW and work up.)

But overall, I prefer the 75-grain V-Max over its heavier and lighter breathren. The 75 offers the best balance between velocity and BC. We varmint hunters like very high velocity for a flat trajectory and explosiveness (the "red mist" effect) on the target. With the 75 you can use a slower twist, and that means less drag in the barrel. So the slower the twist, the faster you can shoot. Keep in mind, however, that not all 14-twist barrels will stabilize the 75s. I've found that some 14s just won't shoot them fast enough to stabilize. I can't really tell you why--it could be that the twist rate is slightly slower than claimed, or it could be the bore diameter is a little tight. Every barrel is different. If you want to be safe, go with a 13-twist. My 14-twist works great with the 75s though, and I feel I get more speed with a 14 versus a 13-twist.

One last thing about bullets. I've tried the Noslers and I'll stick with the Hornadys--they're much more consistent, and they're more accurate for me. Some folks have tested Noslers and V-Maxs with a Juneke machine and they found a higher defect rate with the Noslers. You'll have more bad Ballistic Tips in one box than in several boxes of V-Maxs. You can't beat the V-Max for accuracy. As far as primers go, I use Federal match primers, with the exception of using CCIs in hot loads in small cases such as the BR and PPC families of cartridges. The CCIs will not pierce as easily as the Federals.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek042.html

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
64 registered (ImThere, Blue Water Buck, huntinprettier, old guy, chip, spur necklace 3, 6 invisible) and 120 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91468 Topics
1069300 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.