Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#610921 - 02/12/08 02:08 PM Re: Part I [Re: Teufelhunden]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Steven, Bertman, and Goose.

The reference to NG and Army in the initial post in this thread (which was written a year ago) appears to be a spring 2006 personal observation by tnhunter16 of the demeanor of other military service recruits and their perceptions(and his), right or wrong, of what lay in store for them in basic training the morning before they left. The choice of the word “pukes” was not a wise one, but I doubt any malice or genuine disrespect was intended. If you re-read that post, you’ll see some less-than-complimentary things were said about some of his fellow Marine recruits as well.

Interservice rivalry has been a fact of life for as long as the history of military organizations has been written. It appears unlikely to go away any time soon. The intense loyalty to one’s own branch that is engendered from day one results in a degree of dedication that sometimes results in enthusiasm and pride clouding judgement. What is important is that when the chips are down, everyone has everyone else’s back. I am privileged to have friends spanning two generations of combat service in four wars among them. They represent all branches of the armed services and have numerous ribbons (and scars) to show for it. They are not at all hesitant to make uncomplimentary remarks about other services, but in almost the same breath, will then tell me a story of incredible bravery about a member of a different service.

I understand your feelings, but recommend that you re-read the “Woodbury Funeral” post in this thread. If you don’t know who Tom Brokaw was, he wrote “The Greatest Generation.” It is the story of the men who survived the depression, won World War II, and went on to build the greatest nation the world has ever seen. Tnhunter16's story is about seven elderly members of that Greatest Generation who braved cold weather and the ravages of old age to render a perfectly executed final salute to one of their brothers-in-arms who had gone on to his reward. He favorably compares one of those men to a character in “Saving Private Ryan.” It was only a movie, but it was a movie about the U.S. Army. That reference and the mention of “The Greatest Generation” (ALL of them) are not the words of someone who holds a disrespectful, deep-seated visceral contempt for other service members. Quite the opposite I would argue.

I am grateful for and respectful of the service of every Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine and Coastguardsman who has ever served honorably, and believe that each of you and tnHunter16 are also. Incidentally, my late father, who did not have much good to say about the Marines, was nonetheless quite proud that one of our cousins had enlisted in the Marines at the start of WWII and served a remarkable 30 year career. My father was himself a veteran of WWII, having proudly served almost 5 years in the Army Air Corps. As the son of an Army member of the Greatest Generation, I was not offended by the line in the first post, and hope that each of you after reading “Woodbury Funeral” again, would not be either. In fact, I took "Woodbury Funeral" as a tribute to my father and all those like him

Goose17, Steven and tnhunter16, thank you for your service. Bertman my thanks for your dad’s service as well.

Goose, not having seen you on here in a while, I’d wondered if you were deployed again. In the past 14 months, I’ve sent 24 “care packages” to Iraq and Afghanistan. If you’d care to let me know what’s needed and provide an APO, I’d be honored to make it 25+.

#610961 - 02/12/08 02:32 PM Re: Part I [Re: Bambi Buster]
comprifleshooter
8 Point

Loc: Westmoreland

Well said Sonny...Great writing Jon.

#611631 - 02/12/08 08:09 PM Re: Part I [Re: comprifleshooter]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I know exactly how you felt going to parris island,i was there 2 years ago and i am trying to build up the nerve to go back.Its not easy by a long shot.And as for the rivalry,Marine think they are the best,out of the services,that is what the Recruiters tell you from day one and then the DI's drill it into your head.I don't think he meant anything by it.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#614096 - 02/14/08 09:44 AM Re: Part I [Re: cecil30-30]
goose17
10 Point

Loc: smith county

Bambi Buster,I know Tnhunter didn't mean anything by it.Thanks for the offer for the package,But I'm fornutate enough to have good supprt from my family.
#614636 - 02/14/08 03:01 PM Re: Part I [Re: goose17]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: goose17
Bambi Buster,I know Tnhunter didn't mean anything by it.Thanks for the offer for the package,But I'm fornutate enough to have good supprt from my family.

You're very welcome. Good for your family and for you. Thanks for the reply. PM sent.

#616229 - 02/15/08 12:03 PM Re: Part I [Re: ]
goose17
10 Point

Loc: smith county

Bambi Buster,I didn't get a message
#617036 - 02/15/08 09:12 PM Re: Part I [Re: goose17]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Originally Posted By: goose17
Bambi Buster,I didn't get a message

Not quite sure why, but the internet has never been one of my strong points. Probably because I was born in the first half of the 20th century. I'll just paste the jist of it here below. Not sure if the email address in your profile is still valid, but I'm sending the full PM to that also.

"Glad to hear you have the support of your family. If there is anyone in your unit who is not so fortunate, I'd be honored to send something for him. I'm not looking for credit, I'd be happy to send it to you and you could pass it on as a gift from a nameless but grateful American. I do my best to make "I support the troops" more than just a slogan on a bumper sticker. Also, please let me know if your situation changes and there is anything you need.

My sincere thanks to you and all those there with you. Take care of yourselves and of one another."

#635389 - 02/27/08 10:48 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
Blue5
Woodpile Boys
16 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill, TN

good stories!

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
44 registered (MUP, tadeerhunter, hunter drew, biglefty20, bowhunter163, krazykarl_13, 6 invisible) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94112 Topics
1099542 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.169 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.