Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#628006 - 02/22/08 05:29 PM HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts.
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

I've been coyote hunting a few times now and have yet to call one in. I've set up close to thickets and open areas and any place I can think of. I see plenty of sign that they are there, just can't call anything in.
I would appreciate any help you guys could give me. I have 200 acres that has been select cut. You can see for app. 200yds out in the cut.
Thanks

#628044 - 02/22/08 05:50 PM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: KENBOB10]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Chances are you have called something in but they must have gotten your wind. Its important to have a crosswind or a wind blowing in your face. Make sure you are dead quiet when you enter an area and haven't spooked anything. You might wanna try a locater call and see if there are still coyotes in the area. Concentrate on what the coyotes are feeding on. Try and look at their scat and mimic the animal that they are feeding on. Also, be sure you don't over hunt the area cuz you will have very educated coyotes on your hand if you do.
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#628441 - 02/22/08 09:57 PM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: String Music]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: String Music
Chances are you have called something in but they must have gotten your wind. Its important to have a crosswind or a wind blowing in your face. Make sure you are dead quiet when you enter an area and haven't spooked anything. You might wanna try a locater call and see if there are still coyotes in the area. Concentrate on what the coyotes are feeding on. Try and look at their scat and mimic the animal that they are feeding on. Also, be sure you don't over hunt the area cuz you will have very educated coyotes on your hand if you do.

What do you mean by "locator call?" Like a coyote howl/yip?

Dr. Saxton Pope

#628555 - 02/22/08 11:36 PM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: gil1]
String Music
8 Point

Yup. A lot of times you can go into an area and do some yipping followed by a howl and they will howl back. However, be ready because sometimes they just come to investigate. Sometimes people use a police siren, this tends to get em fired up also. The smart thing to do is just hang out on the perimeter of the area around dusk and wait for them to howl on their own. I've accidentally gotten em fired up during turkey season by doing owl hoots in the morning.

Edited by String Music (02/22/08 11:36 PM)

Hunting Photography:

#628605 - 02/23/08 02:01 AM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: String Music]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Little more background. I'm sitting 100 to 150 yds. from my caller using the remote, so I don't think I'm missing anything comming in and smelling me. Used the locater call and got nothing. The sign I'm seeing is scat with what looks like rabbit or rodent hair. See fresh scat almost every time I go there.

#628684 - 02/23/08 08:39 AM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: KENBOB10]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Use the wind and start out with a mouse squeaker when you first set up.
Use scent away spray too.
Give the area a brek in between hunts. Over hunting and over calling is a sure way to never call anything in from an area.
I am sure with that amount of sign you have indeed called something in and they either saw you or got your scent. They will be next to impossible to call in now.
Switch up your calls, don't use the same one every time.
I personally wouldn't set up that far from my caller, but that is just my personal preference.
I actually use mouth calls instead of an electronic caller most of the time anyway.

One last one.
Get a decoy like the rigger rabbit, or just get a turkey feather and tie it to a low hanging limb so it will move a little in the wind. Just a little "something" for them to see to go along with what they are hearing.

Good luck.

Oh and I am FAR from an expert. \:D

#628857 - 02/23/08 12:01 PM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: RUGER]
String Music
8 Point

Sounds like the coyotes are doin most their hunting at night. If you are seeing a lot of scat then they probably haven't missed many meals. Which, unfortunately, means they are just laying up and taking it easy during the day. I would get as close to the den without getting detected and using a pup in distress call. Even though they haven't had their pups yet, they will still come in. Also, I would try a fox call. They hate foxes and if they think one has moved into their territory they will come running.

Hunting Photography:

#628922 - 02/23/08 01:04 PM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: KENBOB10]
spitndrum
Team TLBB Woodpile Boys
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

I went this morning and was dry as well.....

I have went several different times over the last 2 weeks...and nothing either...I don't know prolly what I should to kill one..we are goin in the morning to Van Buren to a buddies farm....

Don't know if the weather messes em up.....COuld be a mixture of things...It's not just u!!!

Oh I had one bark at me this morning trying to locate me but htats it????

#629060 - 02/23/08 03:47 PM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: RUGER]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Originally Posted By: RUGER
Use the wind and start out with a mouse squeaker when you first set up.
Use scent away spray too.
Give the area a brek in between hunts. Over hunting and over calling is a sure way to never call anything in from an area.
I am sure with that amount of sign you have indeed called something in and they either saw you or got your scent. They will be next to impossible to call in now.
Switch up your calls, don't use the same one every time.
I personally wouldn't set up that far from my caller, but that is just my personal preference.
I actually use mouth calls instead of an electronic caller most of the time anyway.

One last one.
Get a decoy like the rigger rabbit, or just get a turkey feather and tie it to a low hanging limb so it will move a little in the wind. Just a little "something" for them to see to go along with what they are hearing.

Good luck.

Oh and I am FAR from an expert. \:D

Thanks Ruger, tried the turkey feather thing, but still having no luck. Probably go get me a rabbit decoy and try that.

#629064 - 02/23/08 03:48 PM Re: HELP, Spit, Ruger or any other experts. [Re: String Music]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Originally Posted By: String Music
Sounds like the coyotes are doin most their hunting at night. If you are seeing a lot of scat then they probably haven't missed many meals. Which, unfortunately, means they are just laying up and taking it easy during the day. I would get as close to the den without getting detected and using a pup in distress call. Even though they haven't had their pups yet, they will still come in. Also, I would try a fox call. They hate foxes and if they think one has moved into their territory they will come running.

Thanks String, I'll try that too.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (ruger7mag, TNPredator, woodchuckc, Brisco Darlin, McBryar32, Football Hunter, 8 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89127 Topics
1042397 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.227 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.