16 Point

Loc: Lebanon

content Online
waiting on part 2 yo
#315299 - 07/26/07 10:24 PM Part I and now Part II [Re: Nyper]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

Loc: Oak Ridge

He slams the door shut and off we go. It was dark. Very dark. I disobey my first order and take a look around.

“Hmm…palm trees…this place can’t be that bad” I think to myself.

Someone starts to laugh. I have no clue why but they just did. We drove around the Island for about 15 minutes. They do this to disorient you and to make the island seem bigger than it actually is.

After what seems like an eternity the van comes to a stop. Silence. Dead silence. You can hear every heart in that van racing. Yelling comes from outside the van followed by a variety of “Aye Sir’s.”

“Oh chit, he’s coming.”

The van door opens. “Eyes on me. When I tell you to you’re going to get off my van and get on the yellow footprints behind everyone else. Understand?”

We mutter a very soft “Yes sir.”

“Say what?”

“YES SIR.”

“Get off my van right now. Now now now now let’s go.”

We fall out of the van clumsily and sprint to the formation. As I’m standing there on the yellow footprints the voice in my head won’t shut up. “So this is what these footprints are all about?” Out of the corner of my eye I watch events unfold. I notice the floodlights running on generators. I see drill instructors, male and female, circling this gaggle [censored] of kids on yellow paint like a pack of hyenas, just waiting for someone to run back into the van or mess up. I notice a myriad of guys that brought duffel bags and one genius even lugged along a suitcase. I guess his recruiter told him he was going to grandma’s for the summer.

We are led through two huge metal doors emblazoned with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. We form two lines and pass all our paperwork up to the front. We are then sent down a hall to stand on a box. It is a clear box with a light in it and a mirror on the bottom. The Marine Corps is idiot proof in its ways but people still find ways to mess things up. A guy in front of me steps on to the glass lid with his shoes still attached to his feet…not for long though. They are checking for flat feet and high arches. I have a high arch and have an 8 written on my hand by a burly, black drill instructor. I thought life was over. We then form at least two dozen lines, each behind a telephone on a wall.

* The entire receiving process is rather bland; therefore, it will be simple and brief.
I get to the phone, dial my house and hope no one answers. It’s around 1:30 am and if anyone answers it will be my dad…not good. Alas, my mom answers and I spurt out what we have to read and hang up.

After the phone call we sit in a room with desks, almost like a class room but far from it. There are some recruits in there that have already had their haircut. Most have not. Some guys have the audacity to talk and carry on while we are standing by. Most sit there and wonder what is next. In walk two drill instructors and they begin to read off a list of contraband items that are not allowed during recruit training: Stamps, cigarettes, lighters, cell phones, watches, etc. We all get up and empty what little possessions we have into a box. As I approach the box I notice there are at least thirty condoms scattered around it. Who the hell comes to Parris Island planning on getting some?

Soon enough we fall out for haircuts. Each haircut lasts less than twelve seconds and the “barber” grinds the clippers over your scalp with no guard, a zero. If your head ain’t bleeding when they’re done then it’s too long.

During this whole time we are running on adrenaline and curiosity. Sleep is the last thing on my mind, at the time. Next comes the uniform issue. A prick E-1 and E-2 run things and at the time they were more Marines than us, but still pricks. I was very concerned about getting the wrong size boot or blouse amidst all the commotion. Sure enough my blouse was a size too large but I got lucky on the boots. I still wear those humongous blouses but make do.

After uniform issue is hygiene items and the like. Everything gets dumped into a big laundry bag and checked off. You also get your go fasters (tennis shoes) and shower shoes (flip flops).

After all the issue gear in the receiving building we are taken upstairs to a receiving squadbay. Some recruits are already there. We are left alone, all 80 of us, for brief periods of time and soon discover that there are three guys already trying to run [censored]. Their names are Smith, Marx and Korn. They’ve been on the island since January and got sick or broke off. You can usually tell a lot about people by first impressions. In their case - Grade A freaking losers. We stow our gear behind us and sit Indian style on the imaginary black line. Some get up to piss and drink from the water fountain. The door into the squadbay is hidden behind a wall. Everytime the door opens everyone stops talking and expects to see a drill instructor turn the corner and unleash hell. Soon enough others realized this and thought it was funny to open the door and play games. The whole episode was similar to the boy who cried wolf. That is until there is this tan, tall, mean looking guy with a smokey bear on standing up front with his arms crossed. Drill Instructor SSgt Cerrano. He was a cool guy. No games. Just get it done and move on type of guy. One thing always made me laugh when he showed his teeth though….his silver and gray braces. Who woulda thunk it? A big, bad, mean, recruit stomping drill instructor with a mouth full of metal.

Edited by tnhunter16 (07/26/07 10:30 PM)

#320545 - 07/31/07 10:09 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
Tnyoteboy
6 Point

Loc: Bartlett

You'll learn to appreciate a man like that Staff Sergeant, no games, just get it done.

#600515 - 02/05/08 04:06 PM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Tnyoteboy]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

Woodbury Funeral:

10 salty veterans, ranging from 1st sgts to Colonels, congregated in the parking lot. Seven of them hobbled their way to the gravesite using their Garands as canes.

Some of them barely had the strength to stand but as the hearse approached the cemetery they mustered all they had to stand and align to the right for their rifle detail that they had already performed over 80 times that year.

One gentleman continued to sit even as the casket was being carried to its eternal place of rest.

The NCOIC, a crusty, tanned face 1st Sgt, called over to the man… "They're here….get up and let's go." "They're here" he shouts.

The sitting man shouts back "They're here? Well I'm here too." He gets up and shuffles to his spot.

This same man's knees were quivering the whole time he was at parade rest; however, he stood stronger than the others. In his eyes were something that I've never seen before. It reminded me of the eyes in Saving Private Ryan. The bold, blue eyes the camera zooms in on while the man kneels over the grave markers. Those were the same eyes.

The other young guns and myself were more than adamant that these gentlemen were going to fire their three volleys in a cacophony of shots. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. We were mistaken.

The first Sgt called "Ready step. Ready. Aim. Fire." One shot. "Ready. Aim. Fire." One Shot. "Ready. Aim. Fire." One shot.

Taps ensued, the flag was folded flawlessly and it was over. The old men laid their M1's on surrounding headstones and picked up their brass. Benjamin Franklin was wrong. The only things certain in life are: death, taxes and police calls.

Three spent casings were handed to the full bird and he quietly and solemnly passed the three off to a frail woman clutching the freshly folded flag. It was something he has done countless times over countless years.

The entire group said their goodbyes and grunted and griped as they hobbled back to their vehicles driving those worn buttstocks into the thawing ground.

Tom Brokaw was right.

#608670 - 02/11/08 01:48 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Army pukes and NG guys had it easy? Yea ok lol I just love to see how you continue to bash other services. Hey arent those Marines drawing down their combat numbers in Iraq? Hey arent their deployments about half of an Army deployment? We are all in this together and the bashing gets you nowhere.

#608749 - 02/11/08 07:10 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: smstone22]
Bertman
16 Point

Loc: TREESTAND

My dad was with the ARMY for 40 years and PROUD of it.bash the armed forces and you can kiss it.

#609119 - 02/11/08 11:19 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Bertman]
goose17
10 Point

Loc: smith county

I'm in the army and I'm on my second tour over,,we don't have it easy.
#609152 - 02/11/08 11:53 AM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: goose17]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

What are y'all talking about?

goose, hi. Where you been?

#609365 - 02/11/08 02:27 PM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: Teufelhunden]
goose17
10 Point

Loc: smith county

I have been trying to get though this deployment in Iraq.
#609368 - 02/11/08 02:31 PM Re: Part I and now Part II [Re: goose17]
Teufelhunden
14 Point

When you coming home?

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
125 registered (rem7-08, Vermin93, Farm manager, leader, Planking, Snake, 13 invisible) and 153 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85141 Topics
1028869 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.213 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.