Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 12 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#595489 - 02/02/08 09:55 AM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: BSK]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Here's a real-world hunting situation. I apologize for the poor quality of the images, but these are still-images stripped from a video I took from my deer stand. It was a very foggy morning and first a yearling buck came walking and feeding through a food plot I was hunting. 30 minutes later a mature (4 1/2 year-old) buck came along the same route as the spike. I tried to pull images of the two bucks in exactly the same location and body posture for comparison. Notice the major differences in neck size at the shoulder juncture, and in the "head on" pictures the major difference and body width from side to side. In each par, the first pic is the yearling and the second pic is the mature buck:

Pair 1:

Pair 2:

Pair 3:

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#595552 - 02/02/08 10:38 AM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Excellent post, BSK!
Great info, seldom even mentioned in the popular (and generally worthless) hunting magazines.
 Originally Posted By: BSK
. . . when field-judging buck age, always, always, ALWAYS ignore the antlers.

This particular yearling buck illustrates one of the main reasons I usually don't like antler restrictions being used as criteria in defining "shooter" bucks.

By not focusing on age first, many QDM clubs (and particularly WMA's with antler restrictions) are actually "high grading" their best yearling bucks and above-average 2 1/2-yr-old bucks, mainly leaving the genetically inferior survivors into the older ages classes. Many WMAs and QDM clubs would actually be producing more genetically superior antlered older bucks if they were NOT using any antler restrictions, particularly if they just made yearling bucks illegal (no matter what the antlers on that yearling).

I like to focus on AGE first, while trying to totally ignore antlers.
In the field, a quick focus at the buck's neck is where you start. "Skinny" neck = young buck. "Very fat" neck = 3 1/2 or older buck.

By the way, regarding this particular yearling pic above, there are probably no reasonable antler restrictions that would prevent him from being a "legal" buck at the age of 2 1/2. Yet it is bucks like this one that have the most potential to become the very top-end largest antlered bucks whould they survive to 3 1/2 or older.

#595589 - 02/02/08 11:23 AM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

I completely agree Wes. In my area we have a significant percentage of yearling bucks that would qualify for harvest under a "4-points-on-one-side" rule. That's why I don't like antler restrictions outside of specific geographic locations.

Now in the Deep South, where the majority of yearling bucks are fork-horns or smaller, antler restrictions can work very well.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#595630 - 02/02/08 11:52 AM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: BSK]
DWM
8 Point

Loc: TN

I just noticed that in the facing position a good rule would be if the upper to middle neck is as wide or wider than the skull he is at least 4 1/2. To me that would be an easy quick way to judge deer coming toward you.

#595632 - 02/02/08 11:55 AM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Now in the Deep South, where the majority of yearling bucks are fork-horns or smaller, antler restrictions can work very well.

I both agree and disagree, "depending" on just what you're trying to accomplish.

If your goal is simply to produce more 2 1/2-yr-old bucks, then of course, antler restrictions such as "4 points on one side, 8 points, 9 points, etc." will certainly do a great job in accomplishing this goal.

But many hunters state they have a personal goal of killing a large antlered buck, something that generally cannot even begin to happen prior to a buck reaching 3 1/2 years or older. And for any buck to even approach his antlers' genetic potential, he must reach the age of 4 1/2. But then again, how one defines "large" antlers comes into play.

My thinking is that most "practical" antler restrictions (those in use by most WMA's that use antler restrictions) actually increase the harvest of the genetically best antlered 2 1/2-yr-old and younger bucks. My thinking is that WITHOUT antler restrictions, many of these same areas would in fact have MORE genetically superior (large) antlered older bucks, albeit they would have fewer older bucks.

BECAUSE of antler restrictions, the best antlered yearlings are killed at a higher rate on the Catoosa WMA than they would be killed if there were no antler restrictions at all. BECAUSE of antler restrictions, the best antlered 2 1/2-yr-old bucks are killed at a higher rate on President's Island WMA than they would be killed if there were no antler restrictions at all.

And even those places where the majority of yearling bucks are fork-horns or smaller, if they use antler restrictions, BECAUSE of those antler restrictions, the best antlered younger bucks will be killed at a higher rate --- leaving fewer of the best to reach the older age classes.

#595640 - 02/02/08 12:03 PM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Wes,

Hence the research on the affects of the "four total point rule" in Mississippi....

Is it reducing the average antler size of older bucks? It might be...

#595642 - 02/02/08 12:04 PM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: DWM]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: DWM
I just noticed that in the facing position a good rule would be if the upper to middle neck is as wide or wider than the skull he is at least 4 1/2. To me that would be an easy quick way to judge deer coming toward you.

Good observation DWM.

#595687 - 02/02/08 12:44 PM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: BSK]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

this is good, thanks

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#596093 - 02/02/08 07:06 PM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: Chaneylake]
baller_9
8 Point

Loc: West TN

Great post BSK

Wes...I'm not disagreeing with you but what makes you think that antler restrictions cause the best 2 1/2 antlered bucks to be killed at a higher rate? And that these areas would have more superior bucks without the restrictions?

If there is not an antler restriction in some of the WMA's than many hunters would be happy with any buck that came by. With it being on public land hunters are going to be a lot more trigger happy knowing that there might be a another hunter on the next ridge.

In my opinion without the antler restrictions there wouldn't be so many of the top end 2 1/2 yr old bucks and than the few that go on to 3 1/2 plus. I do not believe it would ever be a good idea to have a statewide restriction. However, in my opinion I believe that the restrictions on WMA's are a great asset and allow hunters to be more selective and atleast giving bucks a chance to get some age.

I'm not saying I'm right but I would like to hear your response.

#596147 - 02/02/08 07:32 PM Re: Field-judging buck age examples [Re: BSK]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

awesome examples BSK thanks

Page 2 of 12 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
23 registered (BuckDropper, Super8, David1475, BamaProud, KubotaM4900, TAFKAP, 2 invisible) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94109 Topics
1099508 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.081 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.