Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#583191 - 01/26/08 07:01 PM still no grouse
birddoginQ
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN

Took to the woods today with my dad. I am new to grouse hunting, this excursion being only my 4th attempt. I new venture I have decided to take on due to the lack of gentleman bobs in my area and the even greater lack of places to search for them.

As I mentioned before this was my fourth trip looking for the little feathered guys, and after 3 unsuccessful attempts....I'm still unsuccessful. I am not to shy to admit I have no idea what I'm doing, I am depending on my little lady Belle to show me the way. We have ran all 4 times at Catoosa. Most of the time spent in the woods along Daddy's creek and what I believe is Otter creek. Seen em on the side of the road but not at the end of my dog's nose. We have also venture off into some of the grassy fields in search of a few quail. We have found one covey this year at which I did not fire a shot. I was to happy to see the dog work and point. I was so proud in fact that I didn't even shoulder the gun.

The trip was most definitely worth the drive however. My dog hunted hard along the creeks and and through the laurel thickets. I love to watch her work and return to my side with a somewhat bloody nose from the trips through the briars. All the work just to please.....ME. It's a devotion only a hunting dog owner knows. And she did point today. A point I know came out of only frustration. I could hear my heart in my chest as my dad and I eased our way up behind her, cautioning "whoa belle". I then quickly called her of and casted her in a different direction. When her tail is wagging I know something is off. However, after I was sure she was far enough away...I stepped in jump the rabbit and sent it for a flip. NO I did not shoot a rabbit over my bird dog. But I was not about to go home empty handed again. As I mentioned this point had to be out of frustration.....My dog would never point a rabbit! At least not in a season where she had found more than 4 coveys.

I also dragged my father along. He has never bird hunted with me, only asked about our adventures and hinted how he would love to see her work. So today I dragged him up the creeks and through the fields with me. I enjoyed this the most of all. We never hunted much growing up. I fact if not for me he probably would not hunt at all. However, we enjoy our time in the wood together immensely. Kind of how it worked for most people in reverse. We walk through the woods and I spill my brain as he asks me questions about the game and the forests they live in.

A few pictures of our outing
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/birdogginq/DSCN0481.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/birdogginq/DSCN0480.jpg

Never posted pics hope they work

Edited by birddoginQ (01/26/08 09:04 PM)

#583197 - 01/26/08 07:05 PM Re: still no grouse [Re: birddoginQ]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Hate to hear that, I really feel for the bird hunters, theres not much for them to hunt.

#583432 - 01/26/08 09:54 PM Re: still no grouse [Re: smstone22]
Darkthirty II
6 Point

I would'nt trade any hunts with a good dog for nothing. My grandfather was big in the field trial scene, and I loved it when he would take me to a trial, just to see those dogs lock up is beautiful. He was breeder of the '85 National Champion and the dog is now in the hall of fame. Good bird dogs are one of finest things a hunter will ever witness. IMO.
#587285 - 01/28/08 10:03 PM Re: still no grouse [Re: Darkthirty II]
birddoginQ
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN

I agree 100%. My dog does not stand a chance at the hall of fame, but she does work her short little tail off for me, I only wish I could keep her working more.

#595203 - 02/01/08 09:52 PM Re: still no grouse [Re: birddoginQ]
shootdonniebrook
8 Point

Loc: Carter County

The FEW birds Iv'e shot this year have all been close to grape vines and near 8 to 10 year old clear-cuts. I plan to spend the day tomorrow with my two german shorthairs, I love to just watch these dogs hunt.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (gardner, iowavf, rastubbs, gobblegrunt, alwaysoutdoors, mossyhorns300, 11 invisible) and 177 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96041 Topics
1124543 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.