Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#560827 - 01/12/08 03:42 PM Planting Corn
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Could someone please give me step by step for idiots how to successfully grow corn. Ive tried it three or four time with no luck. I can grow the heck out of any thing else. Thanks for the replies in advance.

#560833 - 01/12/08 03:57 PM Re: Planting Corn [Re: muddyboots]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

by far the easiest way to plant corn is to no-til it.

first burn down the area to be planted with roundup--i usually apply the roundup 2-4 weeks in advance 3 ounces of roundup per gallon of water is a close enough mix to kill all growing grasses and weeds. at planting time if anything has emerged from the first roundup application i will apply roundup again.

at this time i will plant seed. seed needs to be about 6 in spacing. try to find a farmer who plants corn you might be able to get some left over seed from him.

i uaually us bt corn seed this type seed is more resistant to insects and worms that eat your corn. they also make a roundup ready variety that you can spray with roundup

no-til basically means not to disturb the soil other than planting the seed. everytime that the soil is disturbed you will bring up existing weed and grass seed that will cause problems

no-til with roundup ready corn is the very best and easiest
the seed is kinda expensive

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#560875 - 01/12/08 04:54 PM Re: Planting Corn [Re: Chaneylake]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

What kind of equipment do you have to have to do no till. A seed drill?

#560887 - 01/12/08 05:18 PM Re: Planting Corn [Re: muddyboots]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

all that one needs is some type of sprayer and some type of planter. i saw one guy attach a one row planter to the back of a 4 wheeler it worked great there are plenty old 2 row planters around and some 4 row these guys would buy an old 2 row planter attach 1 unit to 4 wheeler and use other unit for spare parts

#560889 - 01/12/08 05:19 PM Re: Planting Corn [Re: Chaneylake]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

seed drill works great if using small type seed would be difficult with corn

#563232 - 01/14/08 10:21 AM Re: Planting Corn [Re: Chaneylake]
kholmes
4 Point

Loc: Nashville

I plant about 6 acres of corn each year. I have a 2-row Allis Chalmers planter I use. Rows are spaced at 36" seed is spaced at approx 6". The key is to have adequate fertilizer and keep the weeds out. Get a soil test and the lab will give you your fertlizer requirements. I plant RR corn exclusively because glyphosate is so cheap.

Step#1 get your soil test. Corn needs alot of N and this year its gonna be expensive.

Step#2 Prepare ground. I don't have a no-till planter so I have to disk. My planter is finicky so I have to get all the grass dead before I can work my ground.

Step#3 Apply fertilizer. I get the co-op to mix it for my needs and its alot cheaper than buying it in bags. They will let you borrow a spreader cart.

Step#4 Disk in fertilizer. Do not let your fertilizer sit on top of the groud. The N is volatile. I disk right behind the spreader.

Step#5 Plant. Hopefully the turkeys will leave it alone. I generally put out 100 lbs. of shell corn at the end of the fields to keep them at bay. Your corn is vulnerable to feathered rats until it gets about 5-6" high.

Step#6 Spray. I will spray glypho 3-4 times if needed to keep the grass and weeds at bay.

Step#7 Side-dress. This is optional if your corn needs a boost broadcast amonium-nitrate over the corn when its about knee high before a rain. This will make it GROW!

Step#8 you are done.

I hope this helps. I don't have a spray rig for my tractor that is small enough to get into tight spots. So I use my 4-wheeler to spray. I will leave a gap for the 4-wheeler when planting just wide enough to get between rows at the max range of my sprayer. You can see the gap in the bottom picture.

Good Luck,
KH

PS you can pick up a 2 row planter cheap I paid 50 bucks for mine.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

#564028 - 01/14/08 06:19 PM Re: Planting Corn [Re: kholmes]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Kholmes,
you nailed it perfect, i am lucky that my planter is a 4 row and i can no-til

as far as the critters eating, digging up your corn seed, try this.

this spring when you put seed in your hopper add some turpintine to the seed in the hoppers, the first time i was told this i thought they were crazy. it works great. and no it does not hurt the seed in any kind of way. they also make a powder that you can put in hoppers with seed. i just use the turp.

#564069 - 01/14/08 06:38 PM Re: Planting Corn [Re: kholmes]
DWM
8 Point

Loc: TN

Good advice kholmes. There is something I want to add though. Amonia nitrate is not very volatile, urea is and MUST contact soil directly and best to cover but you will get more for your money with urea. A good rule of thumb is to put out at least one unit of nitrogen for every bushel of yeild you expect from corn. When you spray round up on corn over 36 inches tall it can rob your yeild but you can walk down the rows with a hand sprayer and not get it on the corn. Also it was said in a earlier post that bt corn is resistant to insects and worms, it is mainly resistant to corn borers unless it has the root worm gene. All corn seed as for as I know this year will be Poncho treated which protects the plant from grubs and other ground insects for a short time to give the plant time to get a good start.

#564103 - 01/14/08 06:56 PM Re: Planting Corn [Re: DWM]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

DWM,
correct on the bt and the corn borers, i spray di-syston in furror to help stop grubs and other ground insects. it to me is the best that i have found for sugarcane beetles

#567206 - 01/16/08 08:19 PM Re: Planting Corn [Re: muddyboots]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
Could someone please give me step by step for idiots how to successfully grow corn. Ive tried it three or four time with no luck. I can grow the heck out of any thing else. Thanks for the replies in advance.

what happens to cause the failure? how much of it do you plant?

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
133 registered (ruger7mag, 51 pointer, DocFox, 280longshot, Rifle06, 7mmMag, 14 invisible) and 185 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95874 Topics
1122655 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.