Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#549062 - 01/03/08 07:36 PM Calcium: what will a high source do for deer?
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

what are the facts on calcium and what will they do for deer?

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#549102 - 01/03/08 08:00 PM Re: Calcium: what will a high source do for deer? [Re: Chaneylake]
hard county
6 Point

Loc: hornsby tennessee

Originally Posted By: chaneylake
what are the facts on calcium and what will they do for deer?

Deer need calcium for antler growth, lactation and a variety of other bodily functions.
That being said, there is absolutely no evidence that it does any good whatsoever on wild deer.
Go figure.

"The mountains are calling and I must go."
John Muir

#549131 - 01/03/08 08:17 PM Re: Calcium: what will a high source do for deer? [Re: hard county]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

sunflowers, a real high source of calcium, from the Ohio State web site. i know when i have planted some in the past at chaney lake, as soon as they start developing heads on them, the deer will mow them down in just a few days

#552707 - 01/07/08 07:35 AM Re: Calcium: what will a high source do for deer? [Re: Chaneylake]
Anderson
4 Point

Loc: Emlenton, PA

Good question.

Sunflowers are not super high in calcium. The whole plants are less than alfalfa or clover. the seeds are lower yet, but still higher in Ca than corn or acorns.

Calcium is important for everything that hard county said. If the deer are low in Calcium, then more would help. If they have plenty and you give them more, you will raise the calcium content of their droppings, but do little else. You would have to get the Ca level in the diet extremely high to do any harm. Mineral nutrition is long-term, so to make an impact you have to affect what they eat throughout the course of the year. If you had a drought year, for example, and all nice clovers and forbs burned up for a few months (this might be familiar to you TN guys!) it could change what deer eat and affect calcium levels in the deer into the coming year.

For good overall nutrition, all the pieces need to be in place together, so I try not to focus too much on one thing.

Edited by Anderson (01/07/08 07:58 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification
http://agmap.psu.edu/Businesses/2638

"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." -- Mark Twain

#553008 - 01/07/08 10:26 AM Re: Calcium: what will a high source do for deer? [Re: Anderson]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

i was going on what i saw on the Ohio State web site about the amount of calcuim in sunflowers. i usually plant any left over seed from my sunflower fields at my hunting club. just really doing this for something to do. i have observed in the past that deer will eat them down to the stalk as soon as the plants starting to head out.

i do not really cater to food plots on my QDM since it is in a flood zone. we do more bush hogging to get new growth. in a flood zone it is to risky to destroy natural food and then the place flood and loose our food plots

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (cbhunter, TAG1, Tennessee Lead, ckylec, in the dog house!, duckriver, 12 invisible) and 138 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91341 Topics
1067834 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.