Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#538644 - 12/23/07 10:02 PM ? Regarding Clear Cut Property
WTHCMember
Button

Loc: Arlington, TN

I run a hunting club in Perry County with approximately 1,000 acres which has been mostly hardwoods with about 100 acres of 4-5 year clear cut. In the spring the landowner decided to start clearcutting the ridgtops, but leaving the valleys in tack as they contain creeks and natural springs. The loggers will be done in a few months and we will have about 500 acres in hardwoods (the valleys) and the rest in fresh clear cut (except for the 100 acres of 4-5 year old clear cut. Since I am use to hunting mostly hardwoods I need some advice on the best ways to hunt this property and help keep the deer in the property. With the property being cut will the deer migrate elsewhere?

The deer sightings are way down from years past and the Members are blaming it on the clear cutting. I have tried to explain to them that this has been the case in a lot of the surronding areas. Any tips on how to hunt this property will be greatly appreciated.

#538723 - 12/23/07 11:14 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: WTHCMember]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

It will only help you IMO. They will most likely create some dandy funnels(hardwood hollers between clearcuts) See if you can create some food plots in the newly cleared land? After it grows up you will be over run with deer but of course its hard to hunt a thicket.

#538727 - 12/23/07 11:44 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: smstone22]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

Stonie is right. give the clear cut areas some time. they will end up being your best asset. deer will love them. plenty of natural browse, etc. at chaney lake the biggest bucks always come out of the most recently cut areas. real easy for the non experienced hunter to be 50 yds off of the right spot for their stands. cameras in these type areas will give you pictures of deer that you will never see with the naked eye. you just need one hunter to harvest a quality buck out of these type areas to build confidence in the other hunters.

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#538899 - 12/24/07 09:20 AM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: Chaneylake]
BigGame
10 Point

Loc: Humphreys,TN

My experience with clear cuts are as follows. First two years they love browsing the new growth the following years they use them more as bedding areas as the weeds shade out the new growth. Then as you get small groups of sapplings they start browsing them again and using the thickets as bedding areas. All in all they are great to hunt using ground blinds and tree stands on the edges. the edges have been most productive for me. Good luck.

#539090 - 12/24/07 12:37 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: BigGame]
Marlin308
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County, TN

I hunt a several thousand acre property that is wrapping up a massive ridge-top clear cutting. We have everything from fresh clearcuts to 5 year-old cutovers. They do provide excellent browse during the spring and summer, and also serve as very good bedding areas during the winter after they reach 2 to 3 years old. Food plots will definitely help out during the winter, as very little food is available in clear cuts after the first frost.

This land is very hilly and steep, consisting mainly of ridges with small creeks in the bottoms. The deer like to travel about 1/3 way up the ridges right at the tree line when moving, but will browse all over the clear cuts from time to time. When crossing ridges, they typically use existing saddles that they used before the logging.

During bow season, we are forced to hunt down in the drainages between the ridges, since these are the only places trees remain. These are fairly productive, but difficult to hunt. During muzzleloader, we move to tripods and shooting houses that overlook funnels or food plots, or heavily used clear cuts.

One adjustment I've made during rifle season is to simply hunt off the ground in 1 to 3 year-old clear cuts. Find a stump with a good backdrop at the end of a point overlooking a couple of drainages that come together, and glass the wooded bottoms and clear cut ridges all around you. Might want to get some shooting sticks because if you see a deer on an opposite ridge, you might have to make a 300 yard shot. Hunting off the ground also allows you to be mobile in case the wind shifts, at which point you can simply go over to the next ridge.

Good luck

#539095 - 12/24/07 12:43 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: BigGame]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Cutovers make for some fantastic hunting within the first few years of new growth . The cutover areas offer much more food , and will support a higher deer density than open hardwoods .
I look for bottleneck areas ,converging ridges/hubs , and converging ridge points , along with saddles as key stand areas .

#539605 - 12/24/07 09:23 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: WTHCMember]
WTHCMember
Button

I walked the 4-5 year old clear cut last weekend and found several old 4 wheeler trails and could not believe the amount of deer trails through it. After the season I plan on clearing the 4 wheeler trails for some shooting lanes and building a box stand right in the middle of this cut. Does that sound like a good idea.

Our property has two main valleys that run the length of the property (approx. 1 mile long) with running streams and very wide that will not be cut. In the past I have hunted one of these and had a lot of deer sightings, but that hasn't been the case this year. Do you think with an acorn crop next year that these will be good hunting areas with the ridges being cut or should I try and focus more on the edges of the clear cut? Thanks for all ya'lls help.

#539621 - 12/24/07 09:28 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: WTHCMember]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

if you can keep wheelers off of the trails once hunting season starts, you will be amazed at the does that browse these type areas. you will also start to see scrapes and rubs too. this is happening with us in the stanton tn area

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#539866 - 12/25/07 06:22 AM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: WTHCMember]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WTHCMember
I walked the 4-5 year old clear cut last weekend and found several old 4 wheeler trails and could not believe the amount of deer trails through it. After the season I plan on clearing the 4 wheeler trails for some shooting lanes and building a box stand right in the middle of this cut. Does that sound like a good idea.

Our property has two main valleys that run the length of the property (approx. 1 mile long) with running streams and very wide that will not be cut. In the past I have hunted one of these and had a lot of deer sightings, but that hasn't been the case this year. Do you think with an acorn crop next year that these will be good hunting areas with the ridges being cut or should I try and focus more on the edges of the clear cut? Thanks for all ya'lls help.

I think the acorn mast will determine if the deer use the wooded hollows or browse in the cutover . When I hunt the wooded hollows , I like to hunt points where two or more hollows come together .
The box stand might work okay , but deer become wary of them after they have been shot at a few times . They also stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of a new cutover . I like to be more mobile and change up my stand locations to keep the deer from patterning me .

#540034 - 12/25/07 09:57 AM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: Radar]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

If you can get a dozer in there to push the cut up tree tops into piles you can make some good funnels. The tree tops will also make good bedding areas. You can transplant some Honeysuckle into the old tree tops. If you plant it in the middle it can become established. They will hit the honey suckle hard when mast and other browse is not available..
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#540039 - 12/25/07 10:00 AM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
If you can get a dozer in there to push the cut up tree tops into piles you can make some good funnels. The tree tops will also make good bedding areas. You can transplant some Honeysuckle into the old tree tops. If you plant it in the middle it can become established. They will hit the honey suckle hard when mast and other browse is not available..

Ditto . I transplanted honeysuckle in the brush piles last year , and it's growing good now . I'll transplant some more this spring .

#540119 - 12/25/07 11:43 AM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: Radar]
WTHCMember
Button

Are you talking about making the brush piles on the ridges. We already have a lot of that at the ends of ridges that the loggers did. Also, how will this create funnels.

As far as the honeysuckle goes how are you transplanting this onto your property and are you saying plant it in the middle of the brush piles? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I am new to the clearcutting stuff. Thanks for all the info.

#540131 - 12/25/07 12:11 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: WTHCMember]
Radar
Non-Typical

WTHCmember , you have a PM . It's that flashing envelope thingie at the top of the page . \:\)

#540216 - 12/25/07 02:04 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: Radar]
PO Cedar
6 Point

Loc: Buchanan,TN

The adage,"feed the deer, use a chainsaw" I know is sound advice but I have been unable to bring myself to cut my timber on my place. I've owned the property since 1984 and all my neighbors have cut their timber during that time frame. I have finally decided that if I don't want a climax forest I'd better get a reputable logger on the place pretty soon.
#540220 - 12/25/07 02:06 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: PO Cedar]
PO Cedar
6 Point

#540224 - 12/25/07 02:12 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: PO Cedar]
PO Cedar
6 Point

#540232 - 12/25/07 02:17 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: PO Cedar]
PO Cedar
6 Point

#540250 - 12/25/07 03:03 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: PO Cedar]
Radar
Non-Typical

Nice looking cabin and property , PO cedar , but it does look like it needs some clearing to improve the browse . I think select cuts are a good option that make a property easier to hunt as well as provide browse for the deer .

#540370 - 12/25/07 06:57 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: WTHCMember]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: WTHCMember
Are you talking about making the brush piles on the ridges. We already have a lot of that at the ends of ridges that the loggers did. Also, how will this create funnels.

As far as the honeysuckle goes how are you transplanting this onto your property and are you saying plant it in the middle of the brush piles? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I am new to the clearcutting stuff. Thanks for all the info.

Push the brush piles into long rows.Kinda like a fence row. If you start out wide then narrow both sides down you create a funnel. The loggers probablly started this you can shape and inprove on it ??Hard to say without seeing what they have done.This spring find where you have Honeysuckle growing naturely. Dig it up and plant it in the brush. The deer will feed on the edges . If it is planted in the middle it will continue to grow and spread.

Edited by WestTn Huntin'man (12/25/07 06:57 PM)
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#540536 - 12/25/07 09:54 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: Radar]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

I wish a tornado or something would hit our property,I always find myself asking where are the deer ?Where do they bed?What do theyn browse on.Find out where they come and go and you will be on it!!!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#540538 - 12/25/07 09:56 PM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: Football Hunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Wide open woods are pretty, but Im not at all sure deer like pretty.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#542692 - 12/28/07 07:38 AM Re: ? Regarding Clear Cut Property [Re: Football Hunter]
BigGame
10 Point

Loc: Humphreys,TN

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Wide open woods are pretty, but Im not at all sure deer like pretty.

Great post. In fact I would say they like the opposite.

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
167 registered (gun nut, hoyt30, TN hunter, fourwheeler431, sgtwebb1, Pic IN the Casa, 19 invisible) and 174 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94083 Topics
1099132 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.131 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.