Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#536366 - 12/21/07 12:40 PM "early doe harvest" in QDM!
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

what is everyones thoughts on harvesting your does as early in the season as possible. do you get the benefits of balance of does being breed sooner and if breed sooner how much will this help the survival rate of fawns?

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#536382 - 12/21/07 12:48 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: Chaneylake]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

My herd is already pretty well balanced so I just take a doe or two a year. I always do it early because thats the only time we are allowed too in Unit B.

#536397 - 12/21/07 12:59 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: smstone22]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

If possible, it is best to shoot does early. One of the benefits of a balanced sex ratio is a more intense daylight rut. It does much less good to balance the sex ratio after the rut.

In addition, one of the other reasons to shoot does is to reduce herd density. If you're going to remove mouths from the population, why not do it earlier, so that all the food sources those does would eat by the late season can be saved for a deer that will be allowed to survive the hunting season.

The downside to taking does early is puting a lot of harvest pressure on the herd early in the season. This can tend to reduce over-all daylight activity later in the season.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#536431 - 12/21/07 01:17 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Bow kill them early!!!
#536453 - 12/21/07 01:33 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: Winchester]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I just watched a segment of Deer and Deer Hunting , and Charles Alsheimer(sp) spoke about taking them after the rut to keep them as "bait" to keep the bucks on the property during the rut .
The downside is that in areas with allot of hunting pressure , they can become nocturnal later in the season and become more difficult to kill .

#536476 - 12/21/07 01:50 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: Radar]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

The problem with that idea is, if you have too many does, you've got a skewed sex ratio and the bucks don't have to move as much during daylight. Those outnumber bucks also won't make as much sign (rubs and scrapes). Then throw in the fact that I (and other managers/researchers) have seen no indication bucks "go to where the most does are." The locals bucks seem to deal with whatever conditions exist in the area. If they have to compete, they compete. If they don't have to compete, they don't.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#536481 - 12/21/07 01:55 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: BSK]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

The other thing is that earlier in the season the fawns tend to be much easier to distinguish from young does (because of size) so that you will not be mistakenly taking as many button bucks.
#536494 - 12/21/07 02:01 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: woodchuckc]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
The other thing is that earlier in the season the fawns tend to be much easier to distinguish from young does (because of size) so that you will not be mistakenly taking as many button bucks.

That right there is the main reason we try to do it early.

#536496 - 12/21/07 02:02 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: BSK]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: BSK
The problem with that idea is, if you have too many does, you've got a skewed sex ratio and the bucks don't have to move as much during daylight. Those outnumber bucks also won't make as much sign (rubs and scrapes). Then throw in the fact that I (and other managers/researchers) have seen no indication bucks "go to where the most does are." The locals bucks seem to deal with whatever conditions exist in the area. If they have to compete, they compete. If they don't have to compete, they don't.

Well I have to agree . I tried this method this season and passed up does early in bowseason . Now they are getting more difficult to kill , especially with a bow . This season is an exception to the norm in many ways though . EHD ,lack of mast , etc.
The deer movements are minimal , even with good browse in the area . Part of my problem is compounded by the landowner's dogs running through the property almost daily . The deer have avoided any type of openings , even in the cutover where a clear opening may only be 25 yards . They have altered their travel routes to avoid the dogs .

#536577 - 12/21/07 03:39 PM Re: "early doe harvest" in QDM! [Re: Radar]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

i was just curious as to what everyone else has been doing. we always try to get our does as early as possible. yes we do have an occasional mistake and someone will take a button. we are averaging 1 button mistake per year for the last 8 years. we feel that overall we are still better off.

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
157 registered (Crosshairy, MickThompson, TeamMainStreet, turk870, muzzy76, smalljawbasser, 13 invisible) and 239 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
98971 Topics
1163322 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.072 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.