Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#534315 - 12/19/07 06:46 PM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Tiny
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Hillbilly Hunter
The difference in scopes are loud and clear at first and last light. HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

Very ture but one doesn't need to break the bank to get the job done either,dent it a little likely.

God Answers Prayers Yes No or Not Yet

#534317 - 12/19/07 06:48 PM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
buzzr46
12 Point

Loc: Johnson city

I had a Simmons scope that got sick, and after the non-response by phone and a written letter, I will not buy another Simmons product. I have an Aetec on one of my rifles and so far it is doing great. If it goes bad, then I'll pitch it in the trash. I will not try to deal with them again.

#534959 - 12/20/07 10:53 AM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Tiny]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

Originally Posted By: Tiny
The difference in scopes are loud and clear at first and last light. HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

Very ture but one doesn't need to break the bank to get the job done either,dent it a little likely.

I agree, but a $500 scope isn't that bad. I save for them if necessary, but a non light gathering scope will never cost me another big buck. It happened once and that is why I buy the better scopes. Now, I don't have any Swarovskis, but I sure would like to get one someday.

#534960 - 12/20/07 10:54 AM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

I guess what I mean is, is a trophy of a lifetime worth $500? To me it is...

#535012 - 12/20/07 11:49 AM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Tiny
16 Point

True 500$ isn't that bad to pay for a "good" scope unless you can get the same overall quality glass "vision" at a lower price.

Reason one needS to look at as many different scopes as they can and let there eyes tell them which one is brighter and clearer instead of the price tag or name.

;\)

#535120 - 12/20/07 01:21 PM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Tiny]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

The problem with looking through them at the store is the stores always have their lights on! Clarity may be equal, but I have not seen a low end scoope yet that can compare to a VX-III or a Ziess. I even bought a Nikon Monarch and its light gathering capabillty was lacking alot. I was suprised and dissapionted. I have since sold the Monarch and replaced it witha VX-III.

#535734 - 12/20/07 09:47 PM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Tiny
16 Point

The problem with looking through them at the store is the stores always have their lights on! Clarity may be equal, but I have not seen a low end scoope yet that can compare to a VX-III or a Ziess. I even bought a Nikon Monarch and its light gathering capabillty was lacking alot. I was suprised and dissapionted. I have since sold the Monarch and replaced it witha VX-III.

Totaly agree with you on the "Store Lights",reason I suggest people see if the store will let them take them outside to do the comparesion.Same goes for Bino's ;\)

I can't say I have either as I haven't had the Newer VX line or Ziess around to do a good comparsion to what I would like to.That isn't to say I haven't looked through the above as I have and some others as well.Believe it or not the only 2 that WOWED me were the Leupold VX-L and Simmons Master Series Pro Sport,Pro-Hunter an Atec even better.Burris Singture(sp)line and Ziess Conquest came close to Wowing me.However things might be different side to side at sunset to + 30.

#535792 - 12/20/07 10:23 PM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Tiny]
Tiny
16 Point

Whelen Man,

Was just looking over Simmons and Redifelds Web sites found that the contact address has changed to CA. instead of GA as was the case in the past.Didn't know nor heard anything about a move??

Wondering if they placed the older scope under a different deal than the newer ones since meade took over ie El Paso Weaver vs Newer???

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/ContactUS.htm

On a seprate note this sounds encourageing and do hope it turns out to the goody,been waiting 3 years for them

http://www.redfieldoptics.com/

Edited by Tiny (12/20/07 10:26 PM)

#535910 - 12/21/07 01:45 AM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Tiny]
Locksley
16 Point

Loc: Antioch TN

I've got a couple of Leupold VXIII's also and even a few older II scopes they have never let me down. Leupold has been good for me also and the older Redfield wide angle 3X9 scopes with dual X redicule were good scopes for me too.

Edited by Locksley (12/21/07 02:02 AM)

#535995 - 12/21/07 07:22 AM Re: Cheap Simmons Expensive Repairs [Re: Locksley]
Whelen Man
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Athens, TN, USA

Yeah Tiny, I noticed that the warranty card I had on the scope listed a GA address but it was old so I checked on the internet and found the CA site with a phone #. With the address change probably so went the service on older scopes.

Locksley, I've got a couple of the older Redfield scopes that have given good service over the years without any problems. They seem to be dependable.

I've been through 50mm scopes by Leupold, Nikon, Tasco, and Simmons and will probably not buy over a 44mm again. The 50s are brighter but I just don't like the size and will probably try getting a higher quality 40-44mm.. There may be a new Leupold or Zeiss in my future but I think Swarovski and Schmidt & Bender are out of my pocketbook's range. LOL

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (reloadxx, BamaProud, bbuck14, PillsburyDoughboy, cdw338, jbranham63, 1 invisible) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94018 Topics
1098237 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.105 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.