Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#551701 - 01/06/08 11:39 AM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: BSK]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

easily said BSK, but extremely hard to do, still working at it though!

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#551782 - 01/06/08 01:37 PM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: BSK]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: BSK

I'll be the first to admit I hate going buckless. I do want to kill a large-antlered buck, but I have real problems passing up that first 90-110 class 2 1/2 year-old buck I see. It is a constant mental battle...

BSK,
I agree, passing up that first yearling buck years ago was easy compaired to trying to move up to the next level of of not shooting 2 1/2 year olds, but not shooting yearling on our place has make a huge difference. We let quite a few 2 1/2 year olds go but I has taken a few years to get to that level.

#552051 - 01/06/08 06:01 PM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

BSK---Practice makes perfect, lol. I don't ever remember going buckless 3 years in a row except for the last 3 years. During that time I've seen and could have killed 100 bucks that would have met our minimum plus a few points to spare. I got in the club for the potential that was there and thus far I just haven't been in the right place at the right time. Along the way I could have easily filled my tags but again, that's not why I joined Ames. I consider passing on the smaller "legal" bucks as paying my dues towards eventually taking what I'm there for in the first place. Going buckless is not really my cup of tea but it does get easier to pass on the "on the verge bucks" the more you see. I now can actually spot half a dozen 120" bucks running does by their antlers first and still never raise the rifle for a shot as they run right under my stand. I'll know him when I see him.

#552247 - 01/06/08 07:54 PM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: ClubHead]
squattin dogg
10 Point

Loc: Gallatin,TN USA / Deer Camp

Originally Posted By: ClubHead
One buck limit.Make it count.

That seems to be a good start?

B&L Outdoors......Go big or go home!!!

#552712 - 01/07/08 07:38 AM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: squattin dogg]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm just lucky to hunt a property where taking a couple of 2 1/2 year-old bucks each year doesn't really cut down on our ability to also produce quite a few 3 1/2+ year-old bucks, including a couple of 4 1/2+ year-old bucks each year. We have the best of both worlds. We can take more than 1 buck each and still hope to kill a good one. Although that said, few hunters ever do take more than one buck. Generally, only one or two hunters out of the five will take more than 1 buck each year.

In fact, we generally only kill 6-9% of the bucks we have on camera each year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#552716 - 01/07/08 07:40 AM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: squattin dogg]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: squattin dogg
 Originally Posted By: ClubHead
One buck limit.Make it count.

That seems to be a good start?

I think a club with a 1 buck limit would certainly make hunters think twice about what they are harvesting. And if they do take "lesser" bucks, the low buck bag limit isn't going to allow much harm to be done to the buck age structure by taking a lesser buck (as long as there aren't too many hunters in the club).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#553098 - 01/07/08 11:49 AM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: BSK]
Highland
Button

Loc: Hamilton County

There are seven hunters hunting this property. Our rules used to be one buck per year. The problem ended up being, some of the hunters did not have anywhere else to hunt, so they would continually let "shooter bucks" walk early in the season, only to never see them again. It was decided to go to a two buck limit with the first buck having a green gross score of 125" or be 3 1/2 or older, either or, and then a second buck could be killed contingent that it scored more than the first buck. That scenario had never happened until this year. For the first time ever, a member killed two bucks. The first one was 140" eight pointer, and the second one was 143" ten pointer. Both bucks have been posted on here for the entire TN community to view this year.

Since the original posting, the deer that prompted me to ask the question, turned out to be a 4 1/2 year old deer, which reinforces what BSK has been saying, you can't judge the age of a deer by the rack. This deer, based on the historical data that has be maintained on this property (base circumfrence, tine length, overall mass, dressed body weight, etc) did not indicate this deer was anything but 2 1/2. The jaw bone told a completely different story, and thus the hunter that shot it, shot a legal buck on our property.

#553313 - 01/07/08 01:49 PM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: Highland]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Originally Posted By: Highland
WOW! Chicken Litter - remind me not to get on your bad side. I hope you don't make a mistake in the hunting woods with that kind of policy. Our club is made up of friends, and yours sounds like it is a military training facility.

That is a little too much for me, it is still deer hunting, which is suppose to be about fun and good friends. We are wanting to curtail the harvesting of 2 1/2 year old bucks, not put the shooter on trial.

But thanks for sharing your opinion.

I agree, I just dont want a "trophy" bad enough to loose a friend over a deer. To each their own I guess.

#553325 - 01/07/08 01:59 PM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: Highland]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Highland
Since the original posting, the deer that prompted me to ask the question, turned out to be a 4 1/2 year old deer, which reinforces what BSK has been saying, you can't judge the age of a deer by the rack. This deer, based on the historical data that has be maintained on this property (base circumfrence, tine length, overall mass, dressed body weight, etc) did not indicate this deer was anything but 2 1/2. The jaw bone told a completely different story, and thus the hunter that shot it, shot a legal buck on our property.

And that situation is why I like to see clubs add "...or any buck 'X' years old" into their harvest rules. That allows the harvest of whatever age buck the hunters are managing for regardless of antler size.

#553349 - 01/07/08 02:19 PM Re: QDM Club Penalties [Re: BSK]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

it would be so nice if everyone in a club could properly age a deer. it would be like a world with no crime.

theory and realty are always two different answers. the goofy ones are always on the theory idea and the common sense people know what will really happen. sorta like living in a flood zone in New Orleans. reguardless of what they do to the levees, they will breach again someday.

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
152 registered (redblood, rolltide22, TNDeerGuy, turf08, Matador, Planking, 20 invisible) and 231 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92887 Topics
1085352 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.129 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.