Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#531387 - 12/17/07 03:16 PM Left hand rifles??????
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

I have the "itch" for a new rifle (I'm sure that many of you can relate!). I don't really need a new one, but I don't figure I should let that get in my way.

It is really pretty cool that there are so many left handed rifles available out there now as compared to years ago, but it makes choosing one a little more interesting. Right now I have a venerable old Marlin 336 30-30 that is my first deer rifle I bought 29 years ago and I still carry on occasion, but I have been mainly using a Ruger M77 MkII stainless in 270 for the past few years. It is a good rifle and I really have no complaints about it or how it shoots, but it just doesn't excite me much any more. I definitely plan on staying with a bolt action.

I am actually thinking about getting something like a 25-06, 308, or similar now to use for deer hunting in TN, and then something like a 30-06 or 7mm mag in the next couple of years in case I get to carry out my dream of going elk / mule deer hunting out west. I'd like to stay with a stainless barrel and laminated or synthetic stock since I don't let wet weather get in my way, but am really undecided about brands. I also realize that I am a little more limited in caliber choices with the left hand action.

I have always liked Remington 700s (I do have a 700VS in 22-250 I enjoy target shooting and varminting), but I have heard good things about accuracy of the Savage Weather Warriers. I don't know about the AccuTrigger - is it really as great as Savage touts it to be? Several people have been enthusiastic about Tikka T3s, but I have never seen one in person. The Browning A-bolts seem to be significantly more expensive than most, and I don't hear of too many people bragging on theirs here on TNdeer.

It would be great to hear about people's experiences and /or recommendations!

#531468 - 12/17/07 04:49 PM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: woodchuckc]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

content Online
If I were left handed,(glad I'm not) I would look at the Tikkas and the Brownings. Both have the reputation of being very accurate out of the box. If I were looking for a used gun, I would try to find a lefty Win Model 70. From there I would go Savage and Remmy JMO.

#531507 - 12/17/07 05:30 PM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: Kimberman]
Model70Man
12 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I'm a left handed shooter and really like the Model 70. Since they won't be making left handed models anytime soon, I'm looking at the Tikka T3. I have a Browning A-bolt Micro in 308 that is left handed and that rifle is a consistant sub-MOA rifle. I don't like the position of the safety on that rifle and I don't like that you cannot open the bolt if the safety is on.
Zeiss Victory Varipoint #60 Illuminated

#531866 - 12/17/07 09:32 PM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: Model70Man]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

Originally Posted By: Model70Man
I'm a left handed shooter and really like the Model 70. Since they won't be making left handed models anytime soon, I'm looking at the Tikka T3. I have a Browning A-bolt Micro in 308 that is left handed and that rifle is a consistant sub-MOA rifle. I don't like the position of the safety on that rifle and I don't like that you cannot open the bolt if the safety is on.

The Ruger has the same safety issue - I don't really like having to flip the safety off to unload a cartridge out of the chamber. It would not be a deal-breaker for me, though, since I am used to it.

I would like to see a Tikka in person - do you happen to know of any dealers around that stock any in the Nashville, Dickson, Jackson area?

#531952 - 12/17/07 10:46 PM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: woodchuckc]
Model70Man
12 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Go to BPS. They always have 1 or 2 on the shelf. The T3 is a real nice rifle. The only thing I don't like about them is they only make them in one action length. So if you want a short action rifle chambered in 308 for example, you will get a long action rifle. They are however, crazy accuate.

I'm going to wait and see what happens with the Model 70 in 2009. Hopefully they will come out with left handed versions then. If Sako makes a left handed 85 Finnlight in 2008, I will have one.
Zeiss Victory Varipoint #60 Illuminated

#531970 - 12/18/07 12:44 AM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: woodchuckc]
Tiny
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
 Originally Posted By: Model70Man

The Ruger has the same safety issue - I don't really like having to flip the safety off to unload a cartridge out of the chamber. It would not be a deal-breaker for me, though, since I am used to it.

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc

....but I have been mainly using a Ruger M77 MkII stainless in 270 for the past few years....

If your talking about your Ruger,mentioned above, and it is a Mark 2 ,it has a similar 3 position. wing type safety much like the Win. M-70. Middle postion to remove the round form chamber,no need to place in the fire position. Now the older "Tang" safety Ruger is like the A-bolt. ;\)

Personally I prefer this type and posiston myself.

Good luck on findeing what you want.

God Answers Prayers Yes No or Not Yet

#532037 - 12/18/07 06:42 AM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: Tiny]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

Chuck,

You have to come out to the house and shoot some of mine before you buy. I have a pretty big collection to choose from. I don't consider myself an expert but I have shot competition and was a spec ops sniper for many years. IMO the model 700 action is the best out there and would put myself and three of my guns with model 700 actions up against anything (from 100 to 1600 meters). There are alot of good guns out there and am not knocking any of them but for the money it can't be beat. I have hunted out west and in Alaska so we can talk calibers also as there are also many good ones. When it comes to guns and calibers you will get more opinions than if you talk pickup trucks. I don't care what anyone says as long as the rifle is accurate and the caliber is flat shooting and adequate for the game your hunting, your good. What it all boils down to is, what feels right for you and you are confident shooting. Sorry, I don't have any leftys.

Oh yeah, we can only shoot to 400 meters until after deer season. I close my "way out there" range down during the season.

Edited by TAS (12/18/07 06:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Add last paragraph

#532145 - 12/18/07 08:15 AM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: TAS]
CZ284
8 Point

Loc: Rossville, Tn

I shoot an A Bolt (bought originally as a 7-08 and rechanbered to 284 Winchester). I restocked it in a Mc Millan synthetic and it has been my favorite for about 15 years, even over a custom Mauser in 7 Mag that I had built for a trophy mule deer hunt back in 1990. The A bolt shot 1/2 inch groups out of the box. Now that I have to handload for the 284, I have a load that will put five shots in a .440 inch hole at 100 yards with a Barnes TSX bullet at 2850 fps. I'd put this up against anything in North America for any species of deer (elk and mulies included) I shot a big mulie with it a few years ago and he went no farther than a whitetail, so you don't really need a "magnum" for mule deer.

IMO, you can't go wrong with an A bolt. Bottom line, I'm a Browning fan (shotguns and other gear as well). You do get what you pay for.

#532261 - 12/18/07 09:53 AM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: CZ284]
drop tine
6 Point

Loc: cumberland co. tn

Model70Man,

I was looking at the left handed Tikka's at Gander Mountain the other day.I didn't realize they didn't make a short action.Thanks for pointing that out. They do feel real good though. Are their safeties the not the same as Browning? I thought you had to take the safety off to work the action?

#532305 - 12/18/07 10:18 AM Re: Left hand rifles?????? [Re: drop tine]
CPerkins
6 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

Out of the box and using factory loads the Tikka or browning would be my choice. They are both very accurate. I have not owned a savage, but I hear good things about both. I think that if you handload and don't mind having the rifle floated, bedded, and the trigger done, the Remington will end up shooting better groups in the long run. There are exceptions. W.Seay has a 308 abolt that will shoot outstanding groups with factory ammo. I dont see much improvement on that gun. NOt everyone is like that so I still say that the odds go to the Remingtons for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (JoshDosMil, rghill, EJ1, FrontierGander, Crosshairy, meat hunter) and 84 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.011 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.