Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#531543 - 12/17/07 06:00 PM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: kholmes]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

Forgot about girdling. This may be what i have to do with some of the extra large beech trees.

BSK,.. the top pic is what i'm up against to the tee. Trees are not that large,.. but the hillside slope is the same. The bottom pic might resemble a long flat on a ridgetop i'm thinking about clearing and creating a wind-row along the boundary fence. MAYBE!!

The biggest starting question i have is how to you remove all those leaves on the ground?? Sunlight to the ground is key,.. i have leaves angle deep in some places. Fire is not a option ,.. I'm to skeptical to even attempt it. I'll burn he whole farm down with my bad luck. And i can't see a leaf blower doing alot of good. Any comments on this?

Second question ,.. does anyone else have trouble getting ragweed to grow on slopes like in the first pic. I've searched and searched and ragweed on my place in the current opening is very sparse. Honeysuckle, polk, greenbrier, sumac, and typical woody browse is abundant. I would like to have more ragweed considering how important it is for summer forage. Any ideas??

And,.. on the H @ S technique ,.. can't remember what you recommended on using as the herbicide and the rate you spray. Can you remind me again.
THANKS

Edited by deerchaser007 (12/17/07 06:07 PM)

#531769 - 12/17/07 08:38 PM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: deerchaser007]
Quailman
8 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

content Online
DC007,
ragweed will definitely grow just about anywhere, as long as there is adequate sunlight and limited competition from non-native vegetation. However, to increase the amount of herbaceous plants on your property, some type of soil disturbance will be needed. This can be accomplished through annual disking or prescribed burning. Disking is by far the best technique to accomplish this, but it will be difficult to accomplish on hillsides that have a steep slope.

#531776 - 12/17/07 08:42 PM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: Quailman]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Weeds will come up through the leaves, I promise lol

#531791 - 12/17/07 08:48 PM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: deerchaser007]
birddoginQ
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN

BSK..you can correct me if im wrong but I believe ragweed needs bare mineral soil to germinate, and generally has to be managed for with disturbance such as discing. And even though ragweed is often a native nuisance to farmers, planting is a great option for achieving a reliable stand. I have been playing around with it in quail plots latlely and have had to plant it to get what i wanted and still not there.

Removing the leaf litter like you have mentioned would definently help. Though it may be slow, a leaf blower may do the trick. Maybe blowing or raking into small piles and then burning would be an option.

Garlon is a good option for use on hardwood with the hack and squirt treatments.

#531817 - 12/17/07 08:58 PM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: birddoginQ]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Ragweed will certainly come up better through disturbed soil but I was meaning alot of other weeds. I wouldnt think it would be worth the time to clear all the leaves off a large area.

#531961 - 12/17/07 11:07 PM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: smstone22]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

gotta clear trees first, or the leaves will keep coming back \:\)

#532063 - 12/18/07 07:13 AM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: Crosshairy]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Garlon is definitely best, but Roundup will work. One hack per 2 to 3" of tree diameter, 2 milliliters of 50% roundup concentrate and 50% water per hack. One squirt from a windex bottle generally is one milliliter.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#532070 - 12/18/07 07:18 AM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

If you want to keep a logged area open for a good number of years, let it begin regrowing in hardwood saplings and then spray it with Arsenal. Arsenal will kill almost all of the hardwood regrowth, promoting weeds, grasses and native legumes. But be careful not to spray near timber left standing as it can transmit through roots and kill the standing timber.

I like to spot-spray sections of regrowing clear-cuts to produce pockets of different types of habitat (increase habitat diversity).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#532078 - 12/18/07 07:22 AM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: BSK]
TAS
6 Point

Loc: Hickman County

Originally Posted By: BSK
If you want to keep a logged area open for a good number of years, let it begin regrowing in hardwood saplings and then spray it with Arsenal. Arsenal will kill almost all of the hardwood regrowth, promoting weeds, grasses and native legumes. But be careful not to spray near timber left standing as it can transmit through roots and kill the standing timber.

I like to spot-spray sections of regrowing clear-cuts to produce pockets of different types of habitat (increase habitat diversity).

Bryan,

When is the best time to do this?

#532154 - 12/18/07 08:22 AM Re: how much (habitat management) [Re: TAS]
BSK
Non-Typical

Late summer and early fall, just as the water is going down out of the leaves and into the roots. September is a good time.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (HuntingDicksonDTC, bigasports, Vermin93, leader, Drop 4/5, easy45, 11 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85364 Topics
1031484 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.245 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.