Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#524465 - 12/11/07 08:08 AM Anyone ever plant Canola for deer?
tnbassman
6 Point

Loc: Oliver Springs TN

My hunting buudy was given about 25# of canola seeds back in the summer and put it in his fall plot mix just to see what would happen. The plot is all gone except for the canola which is green as can be and has flowered out with yellow flowers. In the past couple of weeks the deer have been slamming the Canola. I looked up some info on it and canola meal looks to be 34% protein which is second only to soybean meal at 43%. Has any one else ever tried canola in a food plot?

#524530 - 12/11/07 08:46 AM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: tnbassman]
kholmes
4 Point

Loc: Nashville

I plant dwarf essex rape which is the same thing as canola if I'm not mistaken. My deer must have better things to eat because it hasn't been touched.

#524606 - 12/11/07 09:45 AM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: kholmes]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

That Rape shouldn't have flowered until spring. I think this warm weather is messing things up. Most plants change after seeding out. The chemical make-up and sugar content of the plant is different and the deer may or may not prefer it anymore.

CL

#525213 - 12/11/07 06:20 PM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: tnbassman]
hard county
6 Point

Loc: hornsby tennessee

Originally Posted By: tnbassman
My hunting buudy was given about 25# of canola seeds back in the summer and put it in his fall plot mix just to see what would happen. The plot is all gone except for the canola which is green as can be and has flowered out with yellow flowers. In the past couple of weeks the deer have been slamming the Canola. I looked up some info on it and canola meal looks to be 34% protein which is second only to soybean meal at 43%. Has any one else ever tried canola in a food plot?

cottonseed meal 50%

"The mountains are calling and I must go."
John Muir

#525218 - 12/11/07 06:24 PM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: kholmes]
hard county
6 Point

Originally Posted By: kholmes
I plant dwarf essex rape which is the same thing as canola if I'm not mistaken. My deer must have better things to eat because it hasn't been touched.

not the seame thing, although they are both in the brassica family. canola is very different from the other "greens" type of brassicas, canola is mostly a northern-grown plant for some reason and although it has less production than the other brassicas it is supposably more palatable.

John Muir

#526477 - 12/12/07 05:12 PM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: hard county]
Worm
18 Point

Loc: Huntingdon, Tn

I have planted everthing else so my plan is to give it a try some day.

#526540 - 12/12/07 05:49 PM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: kholmes]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

I plant dwarf essex rape which is the same thing as canola if I'm not mistaken.

YOU ARE Mistaken. Not near the same thing and you need to be careful when ordering or purchasing DER. Twice I had ordered DER from the co-op and they have given me a 50 pound bag of canola rape...Deer will not eat it. Make sure the bag says Dwarf Essex.

#526577 - 12/12/07 06:17 PM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: HOOK]
hard county
6 Point

Originally Posted By: HOOK

YOU ARE Mistaken. Not near the same thing and you need to be careful when ordering or purchasing DER. Twice I had ordered DER from the co-op and they have given me a 50 pound bag of canola rape...Deer will not eat it. Make sure the bag says Dwarf Essex.

gonna have to disagree with you on that hook, deer will murder this stuff, and in every browse study ive seen deer favor canola over all other brassicas. rape produces more, more easily, but deer like canola

John Muir

#526817 - 12/12/07 08:43 PM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: HOOK]
Howa
8 Point

Loc: Houston County,TN

Originally Posted By: HOOK

I've got to disagree also, I planted canola rape last year and it was absolutely hammered from the get go. I did DER this year, and it's been almost ignored. I know there are other factors involved (weather, drought, temperatures) so I won't say that one is better than the other, just that I do know my deer loved the canola last year.

#528556 - 12/14/07 11:12 AM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: Howa]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

Back in '97 I was at the Ballard WMA in Kentucky and they had Conola planted "in the loop" there and there were around 100 deer in it. They were were eating it like candy.

#530360 - 12/16/07 03:52 PM Re: Anyone ever plant Canola for deer? [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

Hmm....all I know is I tried it one year by mistake and the deer showed no preference for it. ???

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (TNDeerGuy, Arrowslanger, biglefty20, pledbetter, mayberryrick, vwrxbug, 9 invisible) and 171 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99489 Topics
1170404 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.066 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.