Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#522030 - 12/09/07 06:08 AM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: deerchaser007]
Swampster
4 Point

Loc: Huron, TN, USA

I have not seen a "real lack of nutrition" this year. There has always seemed to be plenty of forage so far. If there was a lack of nutrition, I think the deer would have been very hard on the soybeans in my fields. Since fall, we have had plenty of rain and new plant growth. Also, the one day I went hunting, the deer I shot had quite a bit of fat on it. Even now, my plots are not over-grazed (and there are only two very small plots).

I do expect some scarcity once a real hard freeze sets in, but so far the herd looks ok.

Edited by Swampster (12/09/07 06:11 AM)

#522067 - 12/09/07 07:54 AM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Supplemental feeding is a very dangrous practice, not only from a "disease spread" issue, but also an aflatoxin issue (and corn with less than 20 PBB can jump to hundreds of PBB in a few days), but most importantly from a herd health/density issue. I can point you to some very, very detailed synopsies listing many problems with supplemental feeding.

I do not supplementally feed any of the herds I manage in the MidSouth and I do not recommend it for this area. It is a very dangerous practice.

And by the way, a trough feeder is the fastest way to spread contagious disease.

I totally agree with BSK on this ---- very dangerous and you will seldom "see" the harm you are doing, but I believe in Tennessee you will be doing more harm than good to your deer herd by supplemental feeding.

A few years ago, since there was a mast failure about like this year, I put out a little aflatoxin-free corn in January. But then we had some warm weather, all kinds of native browse sprouted, and the deer didn't eat the corn up. I still had molded corn laying around at the end of March, at which time I spent many hours trying to remove it before turkey season opened. But it didn't matter much ---- the corn had developed alflatoxin, and killed most of the turkeys in my hunting area.

All it takes is one batch of corn to develop aflatoxin, and your turkeys are gone. One other thing: No one mentioned predators. You will greatly increase your button buck losses to natural predators like coyotes and bobcats (and even household dogs) in most circumstances. Of course, if you increase your button buck losses by 25%, and don't realize it, guess that makes it acceptable? Not worth it to me.

#522069 - 12/09/07 08:01 AM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: Swampster]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Swampster
I have not seen a "real lack of nutrition" this year. There has always seemed to be plenty of forage so far. Since fall, we have had plenty of rain and new plant growth.

I do expect some scarcity once a real hard freeze sets in, but so far the herd looks ok.

I totally agree, and the warm weather and steady light rain of this weekend is creating a smorgasboard of new deer food --- naturally.

#522179 - 12/09/07 11:11 AM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: Wes Parrish]
hard county
6 Point

Loc: hornsby tennessee

Originally Posted By: WesParrish
Supplemental feeding is a very dangrous practice, not only from a "disease spread" issue, but also an aflatoxin issue (and corn with less than 20 PBB can jump to hundreds of PBB in a few days), but most importantly from a herd health/density issue. I can point you to some very, very detailed synopsies listing many problems with supplemental feeding.

I do not supplementally feed any of the herds I manage in the MidSouth and I do not recommend it for this area. It is a very dangerous practice.

And by the way, a trough feeder is the fastest way to spread contagious disease.

I totally agree with BSK on this ---- very dangerous and you will seldom "see" the harm you are doing, but I believe in Tennessee you will be doing more harm than good to your deer herd by supplemental feeding.

A few years ago, since there was a mast failure about like this year, I put out a little aflatoxin-free corn in January. But then we had some warm weather, all kinds of native browse sprouted, and the deer didn't eat the corn up. I still had molded corn laying around at the end of March, at which time I spent many hours trying to remove it before turkey season opened. But it didn't matter much ---- the corn had developed alflatoxin, and killed most of the turkeys in my hunting area.

All it takes is one batch of corn to develop aflatoxin, and your turkeys are gone. One other thing: No one mentioned predators. You will greatly increase your button buck losses to natural predators like coyotes and bobcats (and even household dogs) in most circumstances. Of course, if you increase your button buck losses by 25%, and don't realize it, guess that makes it acceptable? Not worth it to me.

thats why you use a trough feeder, also thats why you limit corn use, it can have negative affects on health, and it doesnt really do much good for the herd anyway.
as for the predator thing, i believe that at some times of the year deer are more concentrated on my foodplots than they ever have been around my trough. would this not also create a high-risk predator situation? i dont really know the % of deer being killed by natural predators, but if i had to guess i would say there are far more being killed due to lack of nutrition.

"The mountains are calling and I must go."
John Muir

#523019 - 12/10/07 06:16 AM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: BigGameGuy]
Worm
18 Point

Loc: Huntingdon, Tn

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
Just so you know...

TWRA strongly discourages the supplemental feeding of all wildlife (see page 24 of the Hunting Guide).

Here's a reference for you regarding baiting practices: Artificial Feeding and Baiting of Wildlife

I have yet to find data on the supplemental feeding of black panthers. When is AlanP going to finish his research and get this info out to us?

#523066 - 12/10/07 07:10 AM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: Worm]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Quote:
thats why you use a trough feeder,...

Corn in trough feeders go bad as well, and turkeys and other small game will still eat from a trough feeder.

Now in TN, aflatoxin problems are definitely reduced during cold weather (inhibits the growth of aflatoxin-producing mold), but sudden warm spells like we are experiencing now can be a problem.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#523071 - 12/10/07 07:17 AM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: BSK]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Quote:
i dont really know the % of deer being killed by natural predators, but if i had to guess i would say there are far more being killed due to lack of nutrition.

I seriously doubt many deer in TN ever starve to death. What I'm more worried about is other malnutrition-related problems, such as low fawn survival. The brutal summer we just experienced definitely had a very negative affect on fawn survival in my area this year. Observed (and photo census) fawn recruitment numbers are terrible. Then add that does appear to be in poor shape this fall/winter and we see a second year in a row (this summer) of low fawn production.

And of course, from a hunting perspective, bucks coming out of winter in stressed condition can't maximize antler growth in spring/summer. I predicted, and I believe we are seeing, some of the best antler-production per age-class this year, due to the two great acorn crops on a row in 2005 and 2006. However, with the nutritional stresses this fall/winter, we will "pay the piper" next year. I expect we will see some of the worst antler production per age-class we've seen in some time next year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#523359 - 12/10/07 11:02 AM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: BSK]
Greg .
aPoStROpHe PolIcE
16 Point

Loc: NC Piedmonts

I can point you to some very, very detailed synopsies listing many problems with supplemental feeding.

Bryan,

Please post these. While I have become convinced that some folks just do not want to hear it, others may listen.

#524217 - 12/10/07 09:43 PM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: BSK]
hard county
6 Point

Quote:
thats why you use a trough feeder,...

Corn in trough feeders go bad as well, and turkeys and other small game will still eat from a trough feeder.

Now in TN, aflatoxin problems are definitely reduced during cold weather (inhibits the growth of aflatoxin-producing mold), but sudden warm spells like we are experiencing now can be a problem.

what i meant was that you can immediately remove all the feed from a trough feeder. i have never seen a turkey eat from a trough feeder, and i had cameras set up on mine for two months last year and recorded hundreds of pictures.

John Muir

#524221 - 12/10/07 09:46 PM Re: Making up for the lack of nutrition 2007 [Re: BSK]
hard county
6 Point

Quote:
i dont really know the % of deer being killed by natural predators, but if i had to guess i would say there are far more being killed due to lack of nutrition.

I seriously doubt many deer in TN ever starve to death. What I'm more worried about is other malnutrition-related problems, such as low fawn survival. The brutal summer we just experienced definitely had a very negative affect on fawn survival in my area this year. Observed (and photo census) fawn recruitment numbers are terrible. Then add that does appear to be in poor shape this fall/winter and we see a second year in a row (this summer) of low fawn production.

And of course, from a hunting perspective, bucks coming out of winter in stressed condition can't maximize antler growth in spring/summer. I predicted, and I believe we are seeing, some of the best antler-production per age-class this year, due to the two great acorn crops on a row in 2005 and 2006. However, with the nutritional stresses this fall/winter, we will "pay the piper" next year. I expect we will see some of the worst antler production per age-class we've seen in some time next year.

and yet my supplementally feed deer are utterly fat, have had no signs of ehd, and have had access to a 25% protein sight this past spring and will benefit again this coming spring.

John Muir

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
110 registered (Deer Whisperer, Deerhunter, Tracker, beachguy, Devin2009, utfan1, 13 invisible) and 152 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85118 Topics
1028601 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.214 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.