Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#516080 - 12/04/07 02:39 PM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Weaker yes Winchester, but no rut at all? I've never seen anything like this year.

Its definitely been different, but observations have been more of a, on one day off the next. For example, I hunted 14 out of 16 days thru the middle of November in KY and TN. I would see rutting activity, Pestering/chasing one day, then absolutely nothing for 2-3 days, then another chase. Finally on the day after thanksgiving things broke loose with a clssic rut behavior, but only for 4 days then off again. Its been different for sure, much less buck sign being made as a whole also.

#516148 - 12/04/07 03:16 PM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: Winchester]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Sounds right Winchester. I think the "unhealthy does producing a later than normal and strung-out trickle rut" is the best suggestion for what is happening.

We may see a trickle rut that goes on through December.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#518334 - 12/06/07 03:52 AM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: BSK]
pety221
10 Point

Loc: whitwell

i have made a few scrapes here an there on our club if u go bk the next morning there will be tracks in it but there is no other scrapes to be found on this place . no rubs in places that are usually covered in them seems like our bucks just up an left the few does we see now an then.
we didn't have no acorns and what trees we had are being logged under the side of the mountain maybe all this put together is what is killing us in the buck sighting catagory .

#521111 - 12/07/07 11:44 PM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: Winchester]
BoonerBucks
8 Point

Loc: Blount co, Tn

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Weaker yes Winchester, but no rut at all? I've never seen anything like this year.

Its definitely been different, but observations have been more of a, on one day off the next. For example, I hunted 14 out of 16 days thru the middle of November in KY and TN. I would see rutting activity, Pestering/chasing one day, then absolutely nothing for 2-3 days, then another chase. Finally on the day after thanksgiving things broke loose with a clssic rut behavior, but only for 4 days then off again. Its been different for sure, much less buck sign being made as a whole also.

What I've observed also winchester..

#521209 - 12/08/07 07:26 AM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: BoonerBucks]
BSK
Non-Typical

The buck "sign-making" (rubs and scrapes) has been phenomenally low.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#521845 - 12/08/07 10:12 PM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

The buck "sign-making" (rubs and scrapes) has been phenomenally low.

But that has also been the case in areas I've hunted that seemed less effected by the drought, had a good acorn mast crop, and had much agricultural crops for the deer to eat this fall.

Where I've been hunting in Fulton County, KY (right north of Lake County, TN), there was a huge oak mast crop and lots of crop forage --- yet the deer sign and behavior was almost identical to what I've experienced this year in Stewart County (where there was mast failure). And the Fulton County deer gorged themselves all summer on soybeans, only to then have lots of acorns (even lots of soft mast) begin falling in September --- unlike the Stewart Co. deer. Of even more interest, the Stewart County deer we've killed have appeared very healthy and very fat.

#522084 - 12/09/07 08:33 AM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

I would base absolutely nothing by what we see/experience this year. These year is an anomally. Strangest year I've ever seen, and the strange patterns are only partially due to acorn crops.

#534210 - 12/19/07 04:48 PM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: BSK]
marathonhunter
Spike

Loc: Collierville, TN

Ten days since the last post, and wondering what anyone is seeing now?

On 12/16, I saw a big buck chasing two deer hard and fast. So fast that they were in and out of sight before I could get my gun up.

Within 10 minutes of that, a doe walked into the field, and a four point that had just crossed the field came back in and chased her down the field.

I'm definitely leaning towards the weather fluctuations as producing this on-again off-again phenomenon.

#534225 - 12/19/07 05:04 PM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: marathonhunter]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

Friend has been watching a huge buck pestering does at a TVA reservation in NW Alabama the last three mornings. My club in Wayne CO, TN saw four rack bucks in 6 hunts last weekend. All out cruising and one came to the rattling horns.

Of course, the weather is changing again. I may sit all day watching two large plots tomorrow. Pressure has been extremely low there for a month and rubs are popping up all over that field edge. Big bucks have been known to cross those fields this time of year from one thicket to another. Probably depends on rain tomorrow. I have a big clearcut that has been hunted three times all year that I want to hunt if the rain holds off.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#536791 - 12/21/07 07:14 PM Re: Rutting Behavior [Re: BSK]
Tenbears
6 Point

Loc: MUSIC CITY (BNA)

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
What RUT?? A normal rut occurs within a short window,.. usually a week. You have pre rut and post rut. How many times have you seen true rut? I mean a buck in TRUE rut??

Now, that I reflect back for myself, I have onlywitness this twice in my short 13 years of whitetail hunting. I actually though it would be like this all the time. I had never witness nor smelled something as strong in my life.

Iwnet back and told the oldtimer that started me what i had observed . His only reply " my boy that's the RUT".

This was 1997 and 2004, every since then it has been nothing but a seek and chase and maybe the post Rut.

Neverless I'll never forget the smell that permiated the cedar thicket I hunted.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (rolltide22, cozy23, Dirt nap, infoman jr., X-Tennessean, Rackseeker, 13 invisible) and 160 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91620 Topics
1070879 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.098 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.