Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#519329 - 12/06/07 08:25 PM More Does Less Bucks?
Camp
12 Point

Loc: Rutherford County / Mid TN

We hunt in unit L in Wilson County. I understand other units have less liberal doe harvests. At least in unit L, what are everyones thoughts on making the "legal buck" a minimum of 2 poimts on 1 side instead of a spike? From a management harvest viewpoint, I would rather take a doe instead of a small buck. How many other hunters would also be in support of, at least in Unit L, making a legal buck a minimum of 2 points on 1 side? We have been voluntarily passing on the small bucks (6 point and less) and wanted to see if there is enough support unit wide to ask TWRA to shift focus towards QDM. What are your thoughts? Thanks
#519333 - 12/06/07 08:27 PM Re: More Does Less Bucks? [Re: Camp]
big 8's in Weakley county
16 Point

Loc: south fulton

Yes and no If i had a kid that never had killed a deer before with me and all i had seen was i spike i would want him to kill it. I wouldnt be able to say no we cant kill it.
http://www.disabledsportsmenusa.proboards.com/index.cgi

#519439 - 12/06/07 09:34 PM Re: More Does Less Bucks? [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
Andrew
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Camp you're jumping right into the controversial stuff quick aren't ya? Haha, but i don't really think it makes a whole lot of difference. I think most people are going to pass on anything below an 8 anyway, and in my opinion, regulations just lead to more regulations.

If we really want to practice QDM, it's not going to be done through regulations, it has to be done through education. They need to provide suggestions for people and explain what QDM really is. As far as myself and all the hunters I know in Williamson County, we tend to be responsible, kill some does, and only kill old bucks. I know I passed on several 6's that would have been my first deer, and ended up killing a 4.5 yr. old 8 point for my first. That's the way we need to do it.

#519710 - 12/07/07 08:04 AM Re: More Does Less Bucks? [Re: Andrew]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Andrew
If we really want to practice QDM, it's not going to be done through regulations, it has to be done through education.

And there, in my opinion, is the correct answer.

Evan as one of the most hard-core advocates of QDM harvest practices, I don't want to see everyone forced to manage by the those rules. QDM will provide little benefit to the "couple of weekends per year" hunter. Everyone hunts for a different reason. Some hunters get a huge thrill out of killing any buck, young or old. I certainly don't want to limit that hunters success.

And when it comes to Unit L, that is the area in the least need of further buck regulations. In the highest deer density areas, hunters are killing a smaller and smaller percentage of the buck population each year, leaving more bucks to advance in age. It would be the areas with the lowest deer densities in combination with the highest hunter densities that might require more restrive buck harvest rules to produce an improved buck age structure.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (GOTTA B REALTREE, Master Chief, utfan1, backwoods7, SharpEyeGirl, Vermin93, 1 invisible) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85216 Topics
1029859 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.217 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.