Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#518113 - 12/05/07 07:57 PM new plot
gbotts
Spike

Loc: scott county

i am planning on a new plot this spring. it is almost a acre in size. i was thinking i would plant soybeans in the spring mixed with alittle sorghum. then later in the yr plant clover. Is a acre a large enough area to plant soybeans.
#518214 - 12/05/07 08:36 PM Re: new plot [Re: gbotts]
hard county
6 Point

Loc: hornsby tennessee

borderline, just to be safe i would throw in 10-15 pounds of buckwheat, this will take a large amount of the graze pressure off, it starts quickly, then slows down to allow the soybeans to get most of the nutrients. also the buckwheat has an extremely fibrous root system which improves the soil structure geatly, it will hold in much more moisture and increase your organic matter.
also, at 66 cents a pound you cant beat the price.

"The mountains are calling and I must go."
John Muir

#518245 - 12/05/07 08:50 PM Re: new plot [Re: hard county]
Andrew
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

another question for you guys, is two acres enough to plant corn on? And what should I do to the soil to prepare it? I was thinking 13-13-13 and lime.
#518288 - 12/05/07 09:07 PM Re: new plot [Re: Andrew]
hard county
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Andrew
another question for you guys, is two acres enough to plant corn on? And what should I do to the soil to prepare it? I was thinking 13-13-13 and lime.

absoluetly, there is no acreage to small for corn, just the more you plant the later into the season it will last. but corn cant be over-grazed, i planted around a two acre field last year of round up ready corn and soybeans, i still have some corn towards the center of the field.
if your going to lime, lime quick, and dont go with pelletized it takes at least 4 months for it to raise the ph, triple 13 is a good idea for fertilizer, some people prefer an extra straght shot of nitrogen to make it "jump" but triple 13 should be fine, i also highly recomend round-up ready it saves you money and time, not to mention a better crop
finally, i recomend getting a soil test, it definitely saves you money and takes the guess work out of it

John Muir

#518306 - 12/06/07 12:40 AM Re: new plot [Re: hard county]
Andrew
4 Point

Awesome, thanks man. When would you recommend planting it?
#518955 - 12/06/07 04:35 PM Re: new plot [Re: Andrew]
hard county
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Andrew
Awesome, thanks man. When would you recommend planting it?

Anytime from late march to early june when a good rain is in the forecast.

John Muir

#519206 - 12/06/07 07:24 PM Re: new plot [Re: hard county]
Andrew
4 Point

Thanks man, I just talked to my buddy with a tractor and we're gonna get it done over my spring break. I'm pretty excited about it. I just got rid of the cows from my farm, and the first hunt after that I killed a big 8. With a couple of food plots, I think I'll be slaying 'em next year!
#519234 - 12/06/07 07:38 PM Re: new plot [Re: Andrew]
stirrat
8 Point

Loc: savannah

plant corn in may or june or else it will be long gone by bow season. also plant any earlier than may and you will risk loosing it to freeze. i planted may 15 last year and will be moving it to june this year. i hit mine with amonium nitrate when its knee high. with good rain it will be 7 or 8 feet by august

#521310 - 12/08/07 10:52 AM Re: new plot [Re: stirrat]
Semibald
Spike

Loc: Shelby Co.TN

I'm new to food plots, but I've read a lot of QDMAs "Quality Food Plots" book. I planted a 2.5 acre field last year, half in Roundup-ready Corn & Soybeans, half in Iron Clay Peas and Sunflowers. They grew better than I expected, esp. since we had such a severe drought, and I got it started so late. The deer never let the soybeans get started - they nibbled them at 6 inches high constantly (in my exclusion cages I had 4 ft high beautiful soybeans). The corn grew, and was eaten by Sept. 1st. They even ate the heads and leaves off all my sunflowers! - there were just stalks sticking up everywhere. And finally, in mid-Sept., with nothing else left, they destroyed my 2-3 ft tall peas. They looked like someone mowed them at 1 ft high and stripped all the leaves off. So I had nothing left to attract deer for the fall hunting. I read this past summer that if you've got a good deer density, it's not worth planting corn or soybeans unless it's in 3-5 acre fields (too late for me!). I plowed and replanted clover/chicory mix from Whitetail Inst. in mid-Oct., and it's doing very well. I decided I've had enough plowing, so I wanted a perrenial plot. I'll still need to spray grass-killer and mow occasionally, but hopefully the plot will last me 5 yrs. Something for you to think about.
But any of it is fun; it's like a new hobby separate from the hunting. Oh, and I also threw in some rape seed in my clover, and it's coming up like crazy. Deer aren't touching any of it yet, but I'm betting they'll hit it hard this winter. Good luck!

#521508 - 12/08/07 05:08 PM Re: new plot [Re: Semibald]
gbotts
Spike

Loc: scott county

i planted a small plot of wheat it is maybe a 1/4 of a acre and the deer are keeping it mowed down. i believe they will have it killed before the winter is over
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Model70Man, Willis01, tug, pledbetter, beachguy) and 61 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88245 Topics
1033843 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.229 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.