Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#512558 - 11/29/07 09:39 PM NEED HELP ! With planning upcoming 08 Food plots ?
Backwoods Archery
4 Point

Loc: Robertson

Needing some help guys ! I am wanting to plant a food plot for this coming summer, and also a hunting plot, that will be in the same location during the fall and winter.
My father, and grandfather recently turned a field over that is close to 10 acres that will be planted this coming spring in corn, that they will harvest, and grind up to use in cattle feed. I have access to a section of this field that was not turned over that is 2 acres, and is between the corn field, and a 50 acre section of hardwoods, And this is were I am wanting to put in my food plot to offer the deer more of a variety, other than corn, and also provide food while the corn is maturing, and to have a hunting plot come late fall, and winter after the corn is harvested!

My questions are! what kind of seeds, or seed blends have you guys had the best luck with? and when should I plant these?

Also what would give me the best bang for my buck as far as planting for a summer plot, and then replanting for a fall, and winter hunting plot in the same location?

I am not new to farming, but I am very new to planting food plots for deer, and am wondering if any of you could give me some tips on what, and when to plant, and the best way of going from a summer food plot, to a fall and winter plot!
Any help, and steps to take is very much appreciated !!!!

The planned food plot is circled in (RED)

Edited by wml (11/29/07 09:56 PM)

Dealer For: New Breed Archery, ProLine Strings
Custom Orders Avalible in (1) day with over 25,000 Items to choose from

#513212 - 12/01/07 08:44 AM Re: NEED HELP ! With planning upcoming 08 Food plots ? [Re: Backwoods Archery]
stirrat
8 Point

Loc: savannah

i would plant a soybean field for the summer plot around the 1st or second week of may. i have used quail haven soybeans in the past. i would disk and spray for weeds the first week of september and plant a dwarf essex rape, crimson clover, and buck forage oats plot around sep 10-15. the rape will get you through early winter and the oats and clover will really grow in the spring and keep forage in your plot through most of the next summer. it will stay green all winter.

#513307 - 12/01/07 01:03 PM Re: NEED HELP ! With planning upcoming 08 Food plots ? [Re: Backwoods Archery]
hard county
6 Point

Loc: hornsby tennessee

your area appears to be largely agricultural. i would plant something that deer are not able to readily find, for this reason i might stay away from soybeans. i would prefer a mix which would include chicory, alfalfa (if there's none planted nearby) and maybe small burnet. this mix should contain around 5 lbs. chicory, 5 lbs. alfalfa, and 3 lbs, small burnet (per acre).
fertilize with trip. 16 and then after the alfalfa begins to fixate nitrogen, 0-20-20 bi-annualy if you are looking for a mix then whitetail institute has two that sound about right, extreme, (small burnet, chicory) or alfa rack + (alfalfa, chicory, clover) these are supposably genetically tailored to a deers specific palat and stomach, also, both of these contain 25%+ protein, which should help with antler development

"The mountains are calling and I must go."
John Muir

#513714 - 12/02/07 06:09 AM Re: NEED HELP ! With planning upcoming 08 Food plots ? [Re: hard county]
BigGame
10 Point

Loc: Humphreys,TN

Chickory and oats.

#514267 - 12/02/07 06:21 PM Re: NEED HELP ! With planning upcoming 08 Food plots ? [Re: BigGame]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

Since you want a summer annual plot which will be broke up for a winter annual plot i would recommend a mix for summer such as imperial powerplant or lablab plus from tecomate. This mix contains lablab,soybean,iron clay cowpeas, sunflowers,and sorghum. AND,.. would work well with the corn in the area. Tecomate buckbeans would work well also.
For winter,.. i would cut the summer plot down in late september and plant oats and dwarf essex rape and crimson clover. On a 2 acre spot,.. that mix would be 150 lbs oats, 10 lbs D.E. Rape , 20 lbs crimson clover.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
80 registered (1 good shot, cornbread, woodyard, waynesworld, Team Yuma, leader, 8 invisible) and 126 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94111 Topics
1099569 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.