Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#515114 - 12/03/07 04:35 PM Re: Hellickson TrailCam Survey Questions [Re: deerlawyer]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
 Quote:
Some deer do not seem to be bothered at all by trail-cameras, but other deer--especially many mature deer--do not like tham at all, and will very quickly learn to avoid camera placements, hence the need to move cameras frequently.

i read an article one time by a game manager for a big farm in ga. that said he baited the deer for say a month and then put the cameras in for just a couple of days and claimed to get pics of like 95% of the bucks they would see or kill on that farm that year. does this seem plausible and a strategy to get around the situation you describe? thanks.

The scientific literature (the orginal study done on camera censusing) found that they got 96% of the deer in the area at that time on film in 14 days. This is with a pre-baited census, and yes that is physically possible. But when you start talking small properties (those 1,000 acres or less), seasonal range-shifting of deer can mean that deer not on the property during the baited census hence not censusable can be on the property during deer season. This is the most common reason hunters think they aren't getting all of the deer on camera during a pre-season (summer) baited census. They may actually get all the deer on the property at that time, but different deer can be on the property during deer season. They may see and kill bucks during the season that were not in the summer census, leading them to believe the census technique didn't work.

For example, in my previous response to grundsow I mentioned that last year we photo-inventoried 47 unique bucks on my property from August 1 to Jan 31. I first ran a baited census in August for two weeks and then shifted to an unbaited census from mid-August through the end of January. Of those 47 bucks, only 13 of them used my property during the baited census period and were inventoried. The other 34 didn't show up until after the baited census was over. And of those 34 that didn't show up until after the baited census was over, 10 were only photographed once, meaning they were probably just passing through or are were very rare visitors to the property, reducing their manageablity and harvestability. The other 24 were seasonal shifters that shifted ont my property only during the fall or only during just the peak of the rut.

On average, 50% of the bucks we kill each year are "residents" that were picked up in the summer census and the other 50% are seasonal range-shifters that don't show up until after antler velvet shedding.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#517417 - 12/05/07 11:42 AM Re: Hellickson TrailCam Survey Questions [Re: BSK]
grundsow
4 Point

Loc: Berks County, PA

Quote:
the other 50% are seasonal range-shifters that don't show up until after antler velvet shedding.

What does that mean?

I have one large buck (now an 11+ pointer with maybe a 22Ē+ spread) in particular that I have captured on cam for 3 years now, he must be 5+ years old at this point. The only daytime pics I have of him are one in velvet, and one post-shedding (Iím nearly certain itís him). Iíve even located a rub line thatís maybe 400 yards long on trees 6Ē and even 9Ē diameters that I must attribute to him. All this on the same 50 acres or less even though Iíve also captured him 1.5 miles away too.

The strange part is that while he displays tarsal staining that runs down to his hooves, Iíve never ever caught him at a scrape in either location. Are you saying he may vacate these areas almost completely at certain times of year? Why wouldnít he at least visit scrapes in these areas where heís seen at other times of year?

Thanks BTW for all the detailed info, I'm not ignoring you, just need time to digest and respond.

#517494 - 12/05/07 01:11 PM Re: Hellickson TrailCam Survey Questions [Re: grundsow]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Yes, you can have bucks that visit your property only during one season of the year or even one portion of one season. This is especially true during the rut. A buck may completely leave his normal range and go to a second area where he spends the peak of the rut, then returns to his normal range. These two ranges may have no overlap at all.

In the past, as much as 50% of the bucks using my property in summer would leave right at antler velvet shedding time, not to be seen again until the next summer. However, since greatly improving our habitat, fewer bucks leave after summer, generally just one or two. But in most years we get a big surge in "seasonal-shifters" that spend their summers "somewhere else" but move to my property right after antler velvet shedding time and generally spend the entire fall and early winter on my place, only to leave in spring.

These type patterns are very common no matter where the data comes from.

Although, as more and more detailed GPS-collar studies are done--where older bucks are followed on an hourly or even sub-hourly basis--we are finding there are about as many "patterns" to home ranges are there are older bucks. Each buck is an individual.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
110 registered (WGK, dryhorn2, TIGGREM2, trevor2010, FLTENNHUNTER1, AndyW, 10 invisible) and 173 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85424 Topics
1032226 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.83 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.