Tndeer Logo

Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>
Topic Options
#500743 - 11/20/07 01:48 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: TAS]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Originally Posted By: TAS
No, don't put words in my mouth. Kholmes was saying how QDM doesn't make em dumber and how he has only killed two in five years of practicing. What I said, I said. Regardless of what kind of management you have, unless your baiting you cannot EXPECT to kill good deer if you don't put in the time scouting and you only go 3 to 4 times a year. When it comes to hunting it is what it is. The more you go the better your chances are.

The future of hunting IS in the hands of the diehard hunter because he is the one that will take the time and effort to work with kids and legislatures. I and one of the property owners next to me open our lands up for the juvenile hunt. They can shoot whatever they want. I don't see anyone that only hunts a couple times a year, building and putting up stands that will seat two in order to invite other peoples kids to hunt for free. Yes I practice QDM and I am a member of QDMA but I let kids and women shoot what they want. Why.. because that's the future of hunting. When the anti's see women and kids hunting it blows the whole beer drinking shoot anything sterotype out the window. I don't let experienced hunters on my propery shoot young bucks because I want to let the ones that the kids miss grow up to balance the herd. You can search all my posts and you will not see where I want to push QDM on anyone with regs or anything else. It is an individuals own decision. Though I will let someone know real quick if they start complaining about there not being any big ol bucks and they are shooting yearlings. I also have problems with contests when it comes to hunting but that's me.

My last statement was a joke and I'm sorry that you took it wrong. I just have a problem with people lumping everyone that practices QDM together. Oh yeah I own 413 acres that I worked my whole life to buy. I live in a single wide trailer right now in order to afford it. I don't think the elite live in single wide mobile homes! \:D

TAS,
Thanks for the clarification. I salute you for your efforts to get more people involved in hunting. That is precisely the attitude we need more of in the hunting world!

#501209 - 11/20/07 07:44 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
BoonerBucks
8 Point

Loc: Blount co, Tn

My neighbors simply told me to "Keep planting those big, lushes food plots...we kill a monster buck every year either leaving or going to your plots!" It lit a fire under me, but i just laughed and told them that I'm glad my blood and sweat helped them harvest a good buck. They own a tractor and a couple hundred acres of land just as I do, but they don't practice QDM. It really does make me jealous that they reep my work for thier benefit and could easily join me on creating new plots and harvesting older bucks. That's the hunting world as of today I guess, and it is what it is.

#501865 - 11/21/07 09:26 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: BoonerBucks]
fishboy1
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BoonerBucks
My neighbors simply told me to "Keep planting those big, lushes food plots...we kill a monster buck every year either leaving or going to your plots!" It lit a fire under me, but i just laughed and told them that I'm glad my blood and sweat helped them harvest a good buck. They own a tractor and a couple hundred acres of land just as I do, but they don't practice QDM. It really does make me jealous that they reep my work for thier benefit and could easily join me on creating new plots and harvesting older bucks. That's the hunting world as of today I guess, and it is what it is.

Maybe they do and maybe they dont. What exactly is a monster buck to them? 6pt, 8 pt, 160class 10pt?
Had one guy bragging about the huge KY bucks he killed every year. He had a couple 95-110" 8 pts and a 9 that might go 110-120max. Nice deer to be sure but huge?

Besides, who really cares? They are hunting legally on their land. The deer that you see and shoot on your property likely came from someone elses property. Unless you have 1000+ acres, chances are good that "your" deer are not living exclusively on your property.

Remember, Wildlife, including the deer that "you grew" are the property of the people of the state and dont belong to the landowner no matter how many plots you plant or little bucks you pass.

#501987 - 11/21/07 10:49 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

I will say this, I have had 2 bucks this year get shot by other guys that hunt on the property i hunt on. Each buck i let walk yet they killed it. does it kinda make me mad sure but really how much sense does that make. its not so much that they shot MY deer as it is I know for sure i wont see him next year now. Sure they were nice deer 110-120 class types so i HOPE they see them as absolute monsters (that atleast would help me sleep LOL).

John 3:16

#502045 - 11/21/07 11:25 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: REN]
fishboy1
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BamaBoy N Sumner CO
I will say this, I have had 2 bucks this year get shot by other guys that hunt on the property i hunt on. Each buck i let walk yet they killed it. does it kinda make me mad sure but really how much sense does that make. its not so much that they shot MY deer as it is I know for sure i wont see him next year now. Sure they were nice deer 110-120 class types so i HOPE they see them as absolute monsters (that atleast would help me sleep LOL).

You need to keep your pie hole shut about what you are seeing back there! Maybe I should tell them about the 73 pointer you saw hanging around the barn! \:D

#502060 - 11/21/07 11:34 AM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: ]
REN
12 Point

What 73pt??? i have not seen a deer all year in the back of the property.......dont even really know why i am hunting there.

just practice

#502276 - 11/21/07 01:28 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: REN]
fishboy1
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BamaBoy N Sumner CO
What 73pt??? i have not seen a deer all year in the back of the property.......dont even really know why i am hunting there.

just practice

(loud voice as they approach) "Did you see that huge 11 point over by the shed on the front side of the property? Wow"

"What are you guys talking about?"

"Uh... nothing much. Bammer boy just saw a little spike by the pond, sooo where are you guys hunting tonight?"

#502279 - 11/21/07 01:29 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
fishboy1
16 Point

We might need to start making some fake rubs and scrapes in stupid places too! HA HA!!

#502997 - 11/21/07 09:49 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: fishboy1]
REN
12 Point

I did see a nice 9pt tonight in the rain, and when the owner asked me what i saw i said "a good 9pt but i cant say where because the last 2 times i told you what i saw they ended up dead 48hours later" good thing we are friends because he just laughed about it.

#503467 - 11/22/07 01:12 PM Re: Is this the Down side to QDM? [Re: REN]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I hunt QDM property and am in the 3rd year of doing so. I haven't killed a buck yet but I eat lots of deer meat. We have a 120" minimum on our bucks and I've let quite a few of them that size and bigger walk. Does that make me a trophy hunter? I hardly think so. Because we are a QDM property I have the opportunity to take an older buck and we have them in huntable numbers quite a bit bigger than 120". So I hold out until I can connect with one of them. I don't call a 135"-165" buck a trophy by "trophy standards" but "average" top end success in a working QDM program for Tn. Without that program my chances at that potential success would be drastically cut and it's that chance that keeps much of my interest peaked. I love it all but without that realistic opportunity available much of the drive to deer hunt would be lost for me. I just kind of get tired of hearing about how the QDM minded are all about trophy hunting. Two completely different areas.

I also get tired of hearing about the "if he crosses the fence he's dead so I'll kill him first" theory. That sort of makes it sound like there should be a starting gate at sunrise complete with a starter's pistol. Let the competition begin. I'd rather compete against the deer and that's exactly what a QDM program does for me. I've never owned a deer so I can't really say that someone shot my buck on the other side of the fence. I understand first hand the frustration of watching the efforts of your restraint consistantly biting the dust. If your goal is to practice QDM the best bet is to lease/join a QDM club/create a co-op of like minded people.

Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Bowdacious, cdw338, Model70Man, Willis01, tug) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88245 Topics
1033843 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.308 seconds in which 0.017 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.