Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#498916 - 11/19/07 10:30 AM BSK a little help please
Culom
4 Point

Loc: Fayetteville

I addressed this to BSK because I trust his knowledge and experience not to slight anyone. Advice from everyone is welcome.

Here is the deal. I just joined a new club this year. 2100 acres in Perry County. We have some really nice deer (130 inch 9 point taken this weekend), but we know it could be better.

We have a year round creak running almost the entire length of the property, A big ridge with 4 major fingers and their respective hollows, and about 250 acres of "bottoms" that are available to plant. As well as several .5 - 1.5 acre plots up on the ridge.

In August we lymed and fertalized ( I am not sure if a soil test was done)and planted about 20 acres (broken up into different plots) We mixed our own seed as I remember it was mostly soy beans, winter wheat, buck wheat, turnips, Australian winter peas, and a bit of clover up top on the ridge.

It was explained to me that these were mainly as an attractant and not so much for nutrition.

Now I have heard that the plan is to plant corn and soy beans in the spring. It doesn't seem to me that this would be the best way to go with our goals of more and larger bucks (body size and antler)and larger does.

So I guess it boils down to are corn and soy beans good, bad or indifferent for a spring crop when it comes to those goals?

If someone can recommend a good book on food plots and deer nutrition that would be a great help. I might just buy a copy to leave on the table at camp LOL.

#499030 - 11/19/07 11:30 AM Re: BSK a little help please [Re: Culom]
kholmes
4 Point

Loc: Nashville

I doubt that foodplots will do a whole lot for the size of your deer if your deer density is out of wack. Although they will be a great attractant.
Corn is a great attractor this time of year. I plant a good bit myself and I believe it does help hold deer in the area.
A good book is "Quality Food Plots" put out by QDMA. It is available from their website or Amazon.com. Another great source is available from UT dept of Agriculture. Just search for Craig Harper he's the author. It is a really great publication and I use it more than the book to tell the truth. Plus its free!

Edited by kholmes (11/19/07 11:33 AM)

#499075 - 11/19/07 12:14 PM Re: BSK a little help please [Re: kholmes]
Culom
4 Point

Loc: Fayetteville

thanks!!!

#499100 - 11/19/07 12:35 PM Re: BSK a little help please [Re: Culom]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Soy beans and Corn both provide nutrition (how much depends on the elements in the soil) but soy beans are great for protein and Corn is great for carbs. The deer density should determin the size of the plot in that if the deer density is VERY high they will eat it before the crops are truly mature.

John 3:16

#499450 - 11/19/07 04:24 PM Re: BSK a little help please [Re: ]
deerchaser007
10 Point

Loc: Bradyville, TN USA

Quality food plots from QDMA and growing and managing successful food plots for wildlife in the SE from UT.

I will recommend you not put all those plots in annuals. You need a 50/50 or a 60/40 split between annual plots and perennial plots. This way,.. you will have year round nutrition from your plots and they will always be something growing for them in them.
Also,... nutrition is mostly found from soil and plants that has been properly limed and fertilized from a soil test. SO,.. thats much more important than the seed you use.

Good luck.....

#499740 - 11/19/07 07:36 PM Re: BSK a little help please [Re: deerchaser007]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

Loc: Brush Creek, TN

ditto Jeremy
#510511 - 11/28/07 07:50 AM Re: BSK a little help please [Re: deerchaser007]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: deerchaser007
I will recommend you not put all those plots in annuals. You need a 50/50 or a 60/40 split between annual plots and perennial plots. This way,.. you will have year round nutrition from your plots and they will always be something growing for them in them.

Normally I would agree with that, but with less than 1% of the property in food plots, I would plant the highest volume food producers in those limited acreage plots I could find, and that usually means annuals.

Quote:
Also,... nutrition is mostly found from soil and plants that has been properly limed and fertilized from a soil test. SO,.. thats much more important than the seed you use.

Now that I completely agree with.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#510515 - 11/28/07 07:53 AM Re: BSK a little help please [Re: BSK]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Culom,

Yes, soybeans and corn are excellent food plot plants for specific uses (soybeans as a summer proetein source and corn as a fall/winter energy source and attractant).

However, mixtures of plants and proper soil preparation are probably going to do more good than what you plant. Make sure plots are going to be soil tested and limed/fertilized to recommendations.

But food plots are only a small part of the management equation. You will get more "bang for your buck" out of good habitat management than just a few food plots. The property needs the right mount of natural regrowth and cover habitat to maximize it's potential.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
18 registered (old guy, donkey5150, catman529, plinker22, 300wby, BluegrassDan, 1 invisible) and 90 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96066 Topics
1124865 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.