Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#495632 - 11/15/07 10:05 PM Is the Biologic brand any good?
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

I was on their website and have seen multiple videos supporting Biologic. Has anybody tried it in TN? I'm sure everything works up north, I'm just a little skeptical about here in TN, esp East TN!
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#495642 - 11/15/07 10:14 PM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: String Music]
In_my_sights
6 Point

Loc: Macon,Davidson, and anywhere e...

Just better marketing not better products. What you need to do before planting is read some literature on the subject. Then write down all % and seed types from all BIG NAME mixes (it is on a white tag on the seed somewhere). Most commercial mixes are over 50% winter wheat. Winter wheat is good but not at those prices. I'm sure when everybody chimes in they will tell you that mixes from seed companies like the co-op will produce as good or better results for half the money. Someone might point you in the right direction to a local seed distributor but all I can recommend is the Co-op.
Happy Planting.

#495646 - 11/15/07 10:18 PM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: String Music]
tndrbstr
16 Point

Loc: knox co tn

I have never used it, but what would you expect videos sponsor,d by biologic to say?

Are you a musician, what insturment?

#495664 - 11/15/07 10:34 PM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: tndrbstr]
BoonerBucks
8 Point

Loc: Blount co, Tn

Planted some biologic a couple years ago here in east tn and deer didnt mow it down by no means. I also tried some brassicas, but the deer on my place just don't seem to like it. Even after the frost when that stuff is suppose to really attract deer, it didnt for me.

#495835 - 11/16/07 07:02 AM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: BoonerBucks]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Depends on the mix. My ex-boss invented BioLogic and I helped do some of the intial plant testing (some of that testing was done in TN). Certain mixtures I liked a lot and some I found useless in TN.

But as others pointed out, you can "mix your own" from the Co-op for a lot less. Currently, I buy no "pre-mixed" seed blends.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#496030 - 11/16/07 09:31 AM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: BSK]
.300 WSM
10 Point

Loc: Burlison,Tn

BSK,

I think that I've asked you this before, but I've tried Biologic's Brassicas, Full Draw, Premium Perrineals,Green Patch Plus, and the Clover PLus. The only thing that I saw that the deer on my place liked was the Clover Plus. I now just use the Whitetail INst.'s Alfa Rack Plus. The deer seem to really like it.

#496068 - 11/16/07 10:04 AM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: .300 WSM]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

just get the mix you like and get it from the co-op. best thing to start with is getting a soil sample done on the property you intend to plant (few people actually do this). I usually just use the mix below and it works pretty will

1.Ladino clover or Alsike - ladino 2-4lbs for full draw if you plant correctly - Alsike a bit more

2.Wheat- 50 to 75 lbs per acre but you can overseed if you want

3.Rape - i forget the mixture on this one but i think it is in the 10lbs per acre

also crimson red clover is a popular one to plant as well but you will need more seed for Red clover per acre then white clover. however red clover tends to be a tad cheaper to buy

John 3:16

#496102 - 11/16/07 10:24 AM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: REN]
tndrbstr
16 Point

Loc: knox co tn

Originally Posted By: BamaBoy N Sumner CO
just get the mix you like and get it from the co-op. best thing to start with is getting a soil sample done on the property you intend to plant (few people actually do this). I usually just use the mix below and it works pretty will

1.Ladino clover or Alsike - ladino 2-4lbs for full draw if you plant correctly - Alsike a bit more

2.Wheat- 50 to 75 lbs per acre but you can overseed if you want

3.Rape - i forget the mixture on this one but i think it is in the 10lbs per acre

also crimson red clover is a popular one to plant as well but you will need more seed for Red clover per acre then white clover. however red clover tends to be a tad cheaper to buy

Thats sounds like sound advice, imo, if you don't do the soil test and make your ground happy its a crap shoot at best. If you plant on dirt that is not balanced your pretty much throwing money away.

#496111 - 11/16/07 10:35 AM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: tndrbstr]
REN
12 Point

there are alot of options when it comes to planting but you really need to get the soil tested and lime and fertilize to maximize the growth.

Oats are popular in Middle Tn as well however i am not a real fan
Iron Clad Cow Peas are Very good plants as well but more of a early fall option
Turnips are hit and miss IMO, some areas the deer mow them down and it others they never touch them.

also be careful when getting a pre made mix, and you need to lookout for a HIGH RYE content. Rye is not a very good crop for deer, they will eat it but i would not put it very high on their list.

#496142 - 11/16/07 10:49 AM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: REN]
BSK
Non-Typical

I had good luck with the Clover Plus and Green Patch Plus, as well as the perennial Maximum. But to be honest, when it comes to brassicas, I get just as good if not better results with Dwarf Essex Rape and/or purple top turnips.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#496156 - 11/16/07 10:58 AM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: BSK]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

The green patch worked well for me last year. But this year I bought 50 lbs of wheat and clover for the same price as that one little bag. I didn't put any chickory out this year because of the drought.

- Keep it real

#496226 - 11/16/07 12:15 PM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: Crappie Luck]
kholmes
4 Point

Loc: Nashville

Chicory was a great preformer for me this summer with the drought. In fact it stayed green all thru summer. It has a very deep tap root and is hard as heck to kill.

#496338 - 11/16/07 01:31 PM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: kholmes]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

The deer are hitting our cloverplus, chickory and winter wheat very well!

#496369 - 11/16/07 02:11 PM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: W.Seay]
REN
12 Point

also remember that a seed is a seed (pretty much) reguardless of the package. Companys like Biologic and Tecamate can add qualities to the seed to help in germination and overall quality of seed but they are not inventing a new species of clover or wheat(as far as i am aware but i could be VERY wrong). Most of the seeds found in the mix bags can be bought at the coop so dont think that just because you are not getting RACK MASTER that you are getting Inferior seed.

my point is you dont have to break the bank to have a good food plot. and i am not saying that the seed from the co-op are the exact same seed found in a bag of biologic. If you dont have the nutrients in the soil then the seeds you plant cannot absorb them reguardless of the seed manufacture

#496417 - 11/16/07 03:02 PM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: BSK]
Excal Thumper
Spike

Loc: Mont. County TN

I bought 2 packs of seed at Wal-mart. Shot-Plot and a clover blend. The Shot-Plot had 3 kinds of rape and some fillers. I also bought 6 pounds of rape at the local feed store at 75 cents per pound. The 75 cents per pound stuff grew like wildfire. The packaged stuff didn't grow nearly as well. The field had received lime and fertilizer from the farmer growing his crops. I will go with the feed store seed from now on.
#510506 - 11/28/07 07:44 AM Re: Is the Biologic brand any good? [Re: REN]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BamaBoy N Sumner CO
also remember that a seed is a seed (pretty much) reguardless of the package. Companys like Biologic and Tecamate can add qualities to the seed to help in germination and overall quality of seed but they are not inventing a new species of clover or wheat(as far as i am aware but i could be VERY wrong).

Yes, you are wrong. At least when it comes to BioLogic, they really are inventing new cultivars (sub-species) of plant only available to them.

Quote:
Most of the seeds found in the mix bags can be bought at the coop

That would not be correct for the larger companies such as BioLogic, Tecomate and Whitetail Institute.

Quote:
my point is you dont have to break the bank to have a good food plot.

Now that I agree with.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
31 registered (shelbydeer, El Jagermeister, rabbit hunter, Nsghunter, Tn Joe, browtines, 2 invisible) and 91 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85217 Topics
1029876 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.243 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.